2080 Ti black screen

Island

Gawd
Just wanted a heads up on any 2080 Ti owners experiencing the issue in the title? Had my EVGA 2080 Ti ultra XC for almost a week and its been running great but have had about 3 episodes now where during playing the Div 2, my screen on my Samsung JS9000 will go black for a few seconds.

The picture will come back and all seems normal. The TV doesn't display signal loss and I don't crash but a quick google search shows this being an issue. Temps are fine, my PSU is a corsair 1200 watt that power 2 1080 Ti's previously for 2 years without any issues.

Using HDMI, and cable is premium quality and like I said never had this issue with my 1080 Ti sli setup. Hoping this isn't pointing to an issue with the card??

This is what can happen with an HDMI lead that isnt quite up to spec or is only (up to spec) with tolerances of the equipment it is plugged into.
Even premium leads can have the odd issue/failure.
Try another lead.

The longer the lead the more difficult it is to pass high bandwidth.
Fatter leads (higher diameter wires) are needed for longer leads and there are still limits.
Active or optical converted leads are used for very long lengths.

Last edited:
This is what can happen with an HDMI lead that isnt quite up to spec or is only (up to spec) with tolerances of the equipment it is plugged into.
Even premium leads can have the odd issue/failure.
Try another lead.

The longer the lead the more difficult it is to pass high bandwidth.
Fatter leads (higher diameter wires) are needed for longer leads and there are still limits.
Active or optical converted leads are used for very long lengths.

Thanks for the reply. Don't think it's the cable though, as this is the same cable plugged into my 1080 Ti setup for 2 years into same TV and never experienced this issue. PC is sitting on my desk so the HDMI cable is less then 6 foot. I guess I can try another HDMI cable. Just find it odd that seems like this is a regular issue being seen with these cards

Thanks for the reply. Don't think it's the cable though, as this is the same cable plugged into my 1080 Ti setup for 2 years into same TV and never experienced this issue. PC is sitting on my desk so the HDMI cable is less then 6 foot. I guess I can try another HDMI cable. Just find it odd that seems like this is a regular issue being seen with these cards

I covered different equipment
or is only (up to spec) with tolerances of the equipment it is plugged into
ie if there are slightly more losses of signal or the output is slightly lower with the new card, a better cable could resolve it.
Its the easiest thing to try and a most common issue so is worth a go if you can get hold of another suitable cable.

You could try running at 30Hz or 50Hz to see what happens.
If the problem doesnt occur its highly likely to be a problem with the higher bandwidth signal not getting through at times.

I will try swapping cables and to another port on my Samsung's one connect box. Thanks!

Just wanted a heads up on any 2080 Ti owners experiencing the issue in the title? Had my EVGA 2080 Ti ultra XC for almost a week and its been running great but have had about 3 episodes now where during playing the Div 2, my screen on my Samsung JS9000 will go black for a few seconds.

The picture will come back and all seems normal. The TV doesn't display signal loss and I don't crash but a quick google search shows this being an issue. Temps are fine, my PSU is a corsair 1200 watt that power 2 1080 Ti's previously for 2 years without any issues.

Using HDMI, and cable is premium quality and like I said never had this issue with my 1080 Ti sli setup. Hoping this isn't pointing to an issue with the card??
It's an issue with the card. I have the same , exact, problem. It's probably not your cable. I have already been down that road ad nauseum . The 20 series has issues. However, this one will be one of the most difficult issues you will ever attempt to prove to your board's RMA department. They will likely insist theres not a damn thing wrong with the card. Mine does it all the time.

If you're still within your return window, dump it back on them. Get another if you need it, otherwise find a cheap 1080Ti and be happy with, likely, zero issues.

(FYI I have an EVGA too, the problem is persistent and they wanted to charge me a restocking fee to return it so I have hung onto it... Just waiting for it to die. I am on my third card. Other two were defective, arifacting and unstable. This one is just occasionally unstable. Return it before they try to screw you)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nenu
like this
Back