2080 Ti Aorus Xtreme Wateforce - oc low

mgty23

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi. I have Aorus Rtx 2080 Ti Waterforce Xtreme. So on stock is rock stable,no single crash on all games.Temps 58-60C,boost 1950-1980mhz.

I tried yesterday oc for Remedy Control ( for 1440P without DLSS ) <haha>. And i have poor result
I maxed power limit 110% ,fan pump 70% ( loud as hell ) and core +70.Temps was 50C
But on clock 2055-2070 it will crash no matter what.

I dont tried other games , so i dont know if in other games crash. But it happened on that oc only in Control.

see what stability and clocks are like without RTX, whether in Control or another game. Also maybe try increasing the power limit while decreasing OC offset, could give stability at the same clocks traded for more power use. Overclocking with Turing seems to be all about feeding the core more power and letting Boost do its thing up to the limit of the cooling, then increasing offset but if your card is hitting close to 2Ghz @ stock it may not have much room to push the offset so crank the PL with lower gain and see what happens. At 50C watercooled you still have a bit of thermal headroom maybe another 10-15*

Max power limit is 110%. I choose that and after i clock pumped to +70 Core and it crashed after moment in Control. Clock was something like 2055-2070mhz . On stock clock is 1950-1995 and its stable.

you could just be hitting the limit for your chip at that power level then. Not all Turing cards are heroic overclockers or even good overclockers (less headroom than with Pascal I've found in my limited sample of 1070/1080/2060 Super/2080), and it takes really high power limit to get the most OC out of them, especially pushing the RT cores. See what happens if you back the gain down to +50 with 110% power limit. Also see what your clocks are like with no RTX for reference. If you really want to push the card, find a BIOS from a different 2080Ti that allows higher power limit and flash it (at your own risk)

Max power limit is 110%. I choose that and after i clock pumped to +70 Core and it crashed after moment in Control. Clock was something like 2055-2070mhz . On stock clock is 1950-1995 and its stable.

My card is the same way. Even at stock clocks I hit power limit so there’s not really any reason to do the + core for me. This is on a MSI SeaHawk EK.

Yeah i check gpuz in game and its show: PWR ) green field. So it is related to weak oc? I had power limit 110%

it's 100% related to the power limit.

the way GPU Boost works with Turing (and Pascal to a lesser extent), the card is quite nearly running at its maximum voltage/frequency ratio already. the clock offset can force a little higher clocks at the same voltage but to get a good OC on Turing you really need at least 120% power limit and the higher the better. These cards are hungry. 2055-2070Mhz with RTX on sounds a bit ambitious for a 110% PL- on the 2080 I tried and the 2060Super I have now I'm only seeing high 1800s to mid 1900s with RT on, while both went to around 2040-2050 with RT off (temperature dependant)- and that's with 120% power limit.

it's 100% related to the power limit.

the way GPU Boost works with Turing (and Pascal to a lesser extent), the card is quite nearly running at its maximum voltage/frequency ratio already. the clock offset can force a little higher clocks at the same voltage but to get a good OC on Turing you really need at least 120% power limit and the higher the better. These cards are hungry. 2055-2070Mhz with RTX on sounds a bit ambitious for a 110% PL- on the 2080 I tried and the 2060Super I have now I'm only seeing high 1800s to mid 1900s with RT on, while both went to around 2040-2050 with RT off (temperature dependant)- and that's with 120% power limit.

What makes it more fun is different cards have different base TDP. There’s an overclockers forum thread with a table.

I bios flashed the 2080ti in my main rig to 388W (default was around 300W) AND had to shunt mod it to completely get rid of power limit throttling.

Last edited:
What makes it more fun is different cards have different base TDP. There’s an overclockers forum thread with a table.

I bios flashed the 2080ti in my main rig to 388W (default was around 300W) AND has to shunt mod it to completely get rid of power limit throttling.

xtreme power limit and xtreme cooling is the way to go for Turing! feed it all the amperes and let Boost do its thing. and yeah the board TDP thing is a bit of a mess. all over the place from different AIB manufacturers...

xtreme power limit and xtreme cooling is the way to go for Turing! feed it all the amperes and let Boost do its thing. and yeah the board TDP thing is a bit of a mess. all over the place from different AIB manufacturers...

Yeah - given the 2080ti is 50% larger than the 1080ti / Titan Xp and they were 250W... Turing can do a job on power usage if you let it!

They made it harder to shunt mod. It was around a 4” piece of cat 5 wire that worked for me. People that care more buy the actual right size resistor. Can’t just solder over it like the old days... it detects a fault and won’t go into 3D mode.

Back