2080 Super's Raytracing feature does not seem to work in Modern Warfare. Any suggestions?

VOID93

n00b
Hello all! I have been really enjoying my PC build and I am impressed at how it handles modern titles but, recently, I tried using Ray Tracing for, really, the first time. I never really thought about trying it much when I bought my system since all of the reviews said that it was overblown and too much of a performance hit to be worth the while. Well, I agree. However, I still should be able to use it when I WANT to and it seems that I can not. At least in Modern Warfare. My build is as follows:

------------- Ryzen 7 3800x---Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler---EVGA Hybrid Cooled RTX 2080 Super---16Gb (8+8) Gskill Trident RGB Memory 3600---Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb---Seagate Baracuda 3TB---RM850X PSU---ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VIII -------------

I ALWAYS play with a 100 Mghz core overclock and a 400 Mghz VRAM overclock via MSI afterburner so that I can eek out all of that extra performance and, while this is stable in most games that I play, I have always had crashing issues with it in modern warfare (the stupid DEV errors ((6068 and such))) but never like this. I am not sure whether Afterburner hates ray tracing or whether Modern Warfare hates ray tracing or some combination of factors but, when I turn on ray tracing, I can not make it more than a minute in a game without a hard desktop crash (and sometimes an entire system crash). During that minute, my frame rates are seemingly what would be expected, save for some stuttering, but it will always crash. What should I do? Is Modern Warfare just not really compatible with OC software like this? Is ray tracing not compatible? I find it hard to believe that it is just and unstable overclock because it works pretty well WITHOUT the ray tracing enabled and most other games run fine too. Any insight would be helpful as I am still pretty new at this :)!

Thank you!!

Hello all! I have been really enjoying my PC build and I am impressed at how it handles modern titles but, recently, I tried using Ray Tracing for, really, the first time. I never really thought about trying it much when I bought my system since all of the reviews said that it was overblown and too much of a performance hit to be worth the while. Well, I agree. However, I still should be able to use it when I WANT to and it seems that I can not. At least in Modern Warfare. My build is as follows:

------------- Ryzen 7 3800x---Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler---EVGA Hybrid Cooled RTX 2080 Super---16Gb (8+8) Gskill Trident RGB Memory 3600---Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb---Seagate Baracuda 3TB---RM850X PSU---ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VIII -------------

I ALWAYS play with a 100 Mghz core overclock and a 400 Mghz VRAM overclock via MSI afterburner so that I can eek out all of that extra performance and, while this is stable in most games that I play, I have always had crashing issues with it in modern warfare (the stupid DEV errors ((6068 and such))) but never like this. I am not sure whether Afterburner hates ray tracing or whether Modern Warfare hates ray tracing or some combination of factors but, when I turn on ray tracing, I can not make it more than a minute in a game without a hard desktop crash (and sometimes an entire system crash). During that minute, my frame rates are seemingly what would be expected, save for some stuttering, but it will always crash. What should I do? Is Modern Warfare just not really compatible with OC software like this? Is ray tracing not compatible? I find it hard to believe that it is just and unstable overclock because it works pretty well WITHOUT the ray tracing enabled and most other games run fine too. Any insight would be helpful as I am still pretty new at this :)!

Thank you!!

You're pushing the chip harder by using a lot more of it, thus the overclocks which worked when you used a smaller portion of it no longer apply.

It's just like how folks deal with AVX in CPU overclocking. If you use a lot more silicon in the chip, you will possibly have to revisit max clocks. Yes, it can be a tradeoff.

Thank you!!
Have you tried playing it with Raytracing on and stock clocks? May seem silly but some cards don't take well to Ocing, if not try it and then see if there is any improvement. If its stable then that means you need to back your Oc down for that title at least.

Have you tried playing it with Raytracing on and stock clocks? May seem silly but some cards don't take well to Ocing, if not try it and then see if there is any improvement. If its stable then that means you need to back your Oc down for that title at least.
This was going to be my questions/suggestion. Dial it back to stock and watch your GPU temps. Remember, you are now bringing addition circuitry into the mix that wasn't being used, so just because the silicon you are overclocking now can handle it, doesn't mean the RT cores can. Go back to stock and work your way from there. If it happens at stock, then I would say there is indeed an issue with software/drivers.

That is a very small clock to be having issues. I have a similar setup (Same CPU and an RTX card 2070 Super) and had never experienced crashing in that game, but, I will try it with RTX on to see if I experience the same issue. My 2070 Super is 1113Mhz vram and 112Mhz gpu. Being yours is a 2080, it should have no issues with those small clocks. Have you checked your fan curve IE is it heating up a lot?

some games are incredibly sensitive to overclocks based on how they stress the hardware.

You could always turn the up the power and see if it stabalizes it, at your own risk <3

You're pushing the chip harder by using a lot more of it, thus the overclocks which worked when you used a smaller portion of it no longer apply.

It's just like how folks deal with AVX in CPU overclocking. If you use a lot more silicon in the chip, you will possibly have to revisit max clocks. Yes, it can be a tradeoff.
This was going to be my questions/suggestion. Dial it back to stock and watch your GPU temps. Remember, you are now bringing addition circuitry into the mix that wasn't being used, so just because the silicon you are overclocking now can handle it, doesn't mean the RT cores can. Go back to stock and work your way from there. If it happens at stock, then I would say there is indeed an issue with software/drivers.
Modern Warfare is also generally a very sensitive game to any instabilities caused by overclocking.

You may think your overclock is fine, but if MW is already occasionally crashing you need to listen to the game and dial back your clocks.
That is a very small clock to be having issues. I have a similar setup (Same CPU and an RTX card 2070 Super) and had never experienced crashing in that game, but, I will try it with RTX on to see if I experience the same issue. My 2070 Super is 1113Mhz vram and 112Mhz gpu. Being yours is a 2080, it should have no issues with those small clocks. Have you checked your fan curve IE is it heating up a lot?
Any OC (taking product out of stock speeds) brings risk...the amount does not matter.

Test again at stock and report back if the problem persists
some games are incredibly sensitive to overclocks based on how they stress the hardware.

You could always turn the up the power and see if it stabalizes it, at your own risk <3

Thank you all for your replies! Seriously, I never fail to find helpful knowledgeable people on this forum! I completely reversed the OC to stock like you all suggested (a little too scared to actually screw with the voltage itself lol) and, aside from the obvious, albeit slight, performance decrease, things were a lot smoother. I think it crashed ONCE during the whole two days since taking your advice (even with Ray Tracing on)! Some online research has shown me that the whole DEV error issue has been an issue for many PC player on modern warfare for a VERY long time and is likely not a sign of my card being defective or bad in any way (which was a worry of mine). I suppose, as you guys said, I should simply play MW without my OC enabled, which is fine XD.

Thank you all for your help!!

Didn't read the whole thread, but ray tracing is very sensitive to overclocking and it basically doesn't work if you want an aggressive OC.

I had a pretty nice OC, about +185 core I believe, and it was stable in a lot of games, but crashed all the time as soon as I tested Control with RT.

Played around a bunch, and couldn't really get any OC to work well, so I just set back to stock. Not worth the trouble for a measly +25 if games still crash.

Back