2080 Super vs 3XXX: Technical Differences?

Cannibal Corpse

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all,
I need to know what the 3XXX series have over the 2080 Super, I am not talking about the raw GPU speed increase / DDR5 RAM increase, but tech differences. In other words:
I am playing some game on my 2080 Super (God of War, Elden Ring, etc.) am I missing some 'eye-candy' on my 2080 Super that would be possible on 3X or 4X series?

Thanks!

The RTX 4000 cards have access to DLSS 3 Frame Generation.
The RTX 3000 cards have HDMI 2.1 (4K120 12-bit HDR), while the RTX 2000 cards are capped at HDMI 2.0b.

Those are the only significant differences I know of.

Ray Tracing performance on the 3000 series is far superior, as is my understanding..

Is it just the ray tracing performance? or actual visual quality difference as well? (more realistic looking that is, etc.)
I am just trying to find out the eye-candy differences, and not the performance.

thanks!

Is it just the ray tracing performance? or actual visual quality difference as well? (more realistic looking that is, etc.)
I am just trying to find out the eye-candy differences, and not the performance.

thanks!
Games don't change per GPU. It is only the settings in the game that may improve your image.
Newer faster GPU's often let you have playable frame rates with higher settings. If your card can play the game "MAXED-OUT" settings at acceptable FPS then a newer card will offer nothing.

am I missing some 'eye-candy' on my 2080 Super that would be possible on 3X or 4X series?
Try to max out the settings of your games, if it is unplayable and benchmark of said game with said setting are good enough on the 3x-4x series it will give you an idea with your own eyes the missing eye candy.

There some chance than an LG C2/Dell QD-Oled monitor with good support of HDR-Dolby could be the most significant eye candy jump from your current experience

Games don't change per GPU. It is only the settings in the game that may improve your image.
Newer faster GPU's often let you have playable frame rates with higher settings. If your card can play the game "MAXED-OUT" settings at acceptable FPS then a newer card will offer nothing.
So when they say that ray tracing is better on the 3000 gpu's are they saying that it is just the framerate that will be better (with no changes to the image quality for a given in-game graphics setting) or is it like a newer set of shaders where the games will just look fundamentally better even at the same graphics settings?

So when they say that ray tracing is better on the 3000 gpu's are they saying that it is just the framerate that will be better (with no changes to the image quality for a given in-game graphics setting) or is it like a newer set of shaders where the games will just look fundamentally better even at the same graphics settings?
Performance only.

Reactions: gvx64
like this
3xxx series (ampere) supports no new/extra features above the 2xxx series (Turing), at least not in the software and APIs that are used to run games. Games use the hardware in exactly the same way across both architectures. There may be some driver enhancements with the newer cards in newer games, but these will be marginal. The only difference will be in performance across the range e.g. a 3080 will perform ~50% faster than a 2080 Super in traditional rendering, and the benefit will be a bit more still with Ray Tracing.

Back