2080 bottlenecked by 6700K?

I just replaced a 1080 with a 2080 in my 6700K system, but my benchmarks aren't lining up with what I've seen in reviews. I haven't really done a whle lot of testing yet, and I haven't done a full reinstall of the OS like I usually do, but I seem to be about at 75% of what the average score is in review benchmarks. I haven't yet found a 2080 review using a 6700K, so just wondering if anybody is getting similar results that has a setup like mine.

PS I have an 8700K arriving in a few days, but I'm trying to eliminate the possiblilty of having a bad card.

2080 RTX lags with 4K because of the less memory on board unless your not running a 4K screen.

what clock are you running that 6700K? if you are running stock OC that puppy.. I've found even mine at 4.5 to be a bottleneck in certain tittles to my 1080ti at 1440P.. so it made me overclock further to juice completely the gpu..

What kind of benchmarks are you doing? Under what settings? Also rest of machine spec help, ram speed, ssd, and so on.

I have a similar setup....my processor is no where close to max when using this GPU no matter what I play. Using stock clock, fan cooling.

compared to my 1070 it trounces games my rig used to have issues with....I haven't ran any 3dmark-type benchmarks though.

I'm running at stock, and the only tests I've tried so far are FC5 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider, all at the same settings as specified in the reviews. I'm running on an MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz (Though I haven't enabled the XMS profile, I'm sure this is partly to blame) and a 512gb Samsung 950 Pro NVMe. I really only dicked around for a couple of hours but my GTX 1080 scores were all within the margin of error for the comparison scores posted in the 2080 reviews, which is making me think it might be a card issue, unless the CPU has become a bottleneck for the new card.

I have a similar setup....my processor is no where close to max when using this GPU no matter what I play. Using stock clock, fan cooling.

compared to my 1070 it trounces games my rig used to have issues with....I haven't ran any 3dmark-type benchmarks though.

Are you getting similar scores to the reviews? For instance, FC5 on most reviews I've seen peaks at ~125fps, whereas I'm at 106, which is where most reviews put the average. My average is around 87.

Guru3D's 9900K review says that even a stock 6600K is only mildly handicapped at 1440p with a 2080 Ti depending on the game. If your 6700K is at stock speed, overclock the slack out of it to somewhere around 4.5 - 4.6 GHz and see if that fixes your issues.

Are you getting similar scores to the reviews? For instance, FC5 on most reviews I've seen peaks at ~125fps, whereas I'm at 106, which is where most reviews put the average. My average is around 87.
So far it's matched up to what reviews were saying in Monster hunter world and overwatch. I haven't had any problems at 1440p enough for me to really investigate. I'll take a closer look later and see if I can get actual benchmarks for comparison

Guru3D's 9900K review says that even a stock 6600K is only mildly handicapped at 1440p with a 2080 Ti depending on the game. If your 6700K is at stock speed, overclock the slack out of it to somewhere around 4.5 - 4.6 GHz and see if that fixes your issues.

It's just a regular 2080 that I've got :(

So far it's matched up to what reviews were saying in Monster hunter world and overwatch. I haven't had any problems at 1440p enough for me to really investigate. I'll take a closer look later and see if I can get actual benchmarks for comparison

I'd appreciate that, thanks!

If you run Afterburner, do you see your GPU usage close to 100%? Both FC5 and SotTR should be able to saturate the video card (I've seen this on my 2080 Ti).

Check temps as well in case you are throttling. If you haven't already, set an aggressive fan curve in Afterburner. The default fan profile is bad and won't cool the card properly.

Back