2070SB vs. G520? (CRTs)

Tosan

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I've been searching for the best CRT to replace my old Sony G420 with for a while, and I've narrowed it down to two choices: An HP P1230 or an IBM P275. The P1230 is a rebranded Mitsubishi DiamondPro 2070SB and should be identical for all intents and purposes (it's also identical to the NEC FP2141SB which is a bit more common), and the IBM P275 is a rebranded Sony G520 which is identical as well other than having a DVI-A connection in addition to a standard VGA one. I've found both monitors for sale completely new and unused, and the price difference is negligible.

Has anyone had experience with either of these monitors or the original models that they were based off of? I've searched this forum exhaustively for any comparisons between the final generation of Diamondtron tubes and the Trinitrons, but I haven't been able to turn up anything in-depth. Some people have recommended the G520 over the 2070SB or any Diamondtron CRTs, and vice versa.

On paper, the P1230 has slightly better specs than the P275. I am a little concerned about the Diamondtron tube's tendency to develop focus issues in the corners as it ages (or sometimes immediately if you get a bad one), although I've had several people tell me it's not an issue on their Diamondtron CRTs.

The P275 has very slightly lower refresh rates, but it has a DVI-A connection. That may be helpful for me since I have a dual-DVI-I video card. I've read that DVI-A is electrically superior and possibly better shielded than VGA, and as an added bonus I would no longer need to use a VGA to DVI converter with a connection like that which degrades the image quality a bit.

Any thoughts on this or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

I have a 2070SB and it's a great monitor. Can't really comment on the G520 since I've never owned one. I'm guessing you left out the FW900 because of a lack of new units available for sale?

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I did. I've had experiences ranging from either bad to terrible with all 3 of the used/refurbished CRTs I've tried. Just looking for something new now that'd be more reliable, heh.

To expand on some of the Sony G520 rebrands, based upon research it seems the Sony G520 has also been repackaged as the IBM P275, Dell P1130, HP P1130, certain KDS Avitrons and a couple of others i'm sure.

Thanks SJetski, knew I left something out.

The only rebrands I'm aware of for the 2070SB are the HP and Dell P1230, NEC FP2141SB, and SGI C220-A. There's probably others, but those seem to be the easiest (relatively) to find.

I had owned NEC FP2141SB, Samsung 900NF/700NF and some other Diamondtron tubes, sold all of them because i preferred Trinitron. currently still happy with Sony G520, G420, G400 and some E2x0 17".

I'm not going into Diamondtron vs Trinitron, just wanna say, they have very different color appearance. my eyes probably are happy with the color display by Trinitron, thus I just couldn't adjust the Diamondtron to make it look natural to me. if you have monitor calibration tools, this might not be a concern but i had tried every way, none of them work.

except for the smaller 17", Sony is always has sharper text, probably due to the smaller pitch size.

Thanks, I was really hoping someone had tried both.

I've never actually used or seen a Diamondtron in person, so I suppose it's entirely possible that I'd feel the same way about them; I've only used Trinitrons.

One question though: isn't the dot pitch on the high end Diamondtrons identical to the Trinitrons? They're all .24mm constant pitch at 21" or above I think, other than Sony's GDM-F520 of course.

I have owned a LaCie Electron 22blue IV (Mitsubishi 2070) and currently own a Sony G520P. I also happen to be typing this message on my parents' Sony G520 (non-P). :))

I ended up returning the LaCie for the G520P. Despite the extreme praise everyone seems to give the Diamondtron series, I have to say that I was not that impressed. However, keep in mind I have only owned the LaCie... To my knowledge, I have not seen in any other Diamondtron tubes in person - e.g. Mitsubishi 930SB (which most say is nice @ 19"). The LaCie had several geometry problems that were uncorrectable. In particular, the top ~1/4" of the screen appeared to be vertically "stretched." (The problem was amplified when the refresh rate was increased.) With a bit of googling, I found reports from another that experienced the same issue. I am not sure if this problem plauges all 2070-based displays, or if we just received "bad eggs." From what I recall, there were also several other geometry-related issues (severe pincushioning etc.). All in all, I am extremely glad I returned the LaCie for the G520P.

Obviously, if you have access to both displays, checking them out beforehand would be wise. Based on my experience, I would purchase the Trinitron. As far as the brightness problem with Trinitron displays is concerned, it is unfortunate and true. It is probably easier to "fix" the brightness problem (check the FW900 thread), than it would be to try and correct any corner-focus issues with the Diamondtron should any arise. Of course, this is just my guess.

BTW, where did you find these displays for purchase?

Anyone who lives in Southern California I have Sony F500 and F520 CRT displays for sale. These are top of the line CRTs and work perfectly.

I have owned a LaCie Electron 22blue IV (Mitsubishi 2070) and currently own a Sony G520P. I also happen to be typing this message on my parents' Sony G520 (non-P). :))

I ended up returning the LaCie for the G520P. Despite the extreme praise everyone seems to give the Diamondtron series, I have to say that I was not that impressed. However, keep in mind I have only owned the LaCie... To my knowledge, I have not seen in any other Diamondtron tubes in person - e.g. Mitsubishi 930SB (which most say is nice @ 19"). The LaCie had several geometry problems that were uncorrectable. In particular, the top ~1/4" of the screen appeared to be vertically "stretched." (The problem was amplified when the refresh rate was increased.) With a bit of googling, I found reports from another that experienced the same issue. I am not sure if this problem plauges all 2070-based displays, or if we just received "bad eggs." From what I recall, there were also several other geometry-related issues (severe pincushioning etc.). All in all, I am extremely glad I returned the LaCie for the G520P.

Obviously, if you have access to both displays, checking them out beforehand would be wise. Based on my experience, I would purchase the Trinitron. As far as the brightness problem with Trinitron displays is concerned, it is unfortunate and true. It is probably easier to "fix" the brightness problem (check the FW900 thread), than it would be to try and correct any corner-focus issues with the Diamondtron should any arise. Of course, this is just my guess.

BTW, where did you find these displays for purchase?
The 2141SB / 2070SB has a different look to them than the older diamondtrons in my experience. Not necessarily better or worse, just different, but i can see personal preference coming into play here (yes i have a preference ;)). My 2141SB luckily suffers no such fatal flaws and anything that didn't appear right was fixed with just a few clicks. In my experience the 2141SB is totally similar to my P1130 in looks and performance, a little too similar actually. My Lacie II and Diamondtron 2060U resemble each other very much as well, you could "almost" tell they were manufactured by the same company, a coincidence i'm sure since they likely have different diamondtron tubes and electronics.

Note: I have personally read of just as many issues with G520 based units as i have with newer, higher end diamondtrons. Granted that is only one man's perception but i have read many threads about CRT monitors. I will agree though, a G520 is much more serviceable by the end-user than diamondtrons are, a big plus for any tweaker imho.

I have owned a LaCie Electron 22blue IV (Mitsubishi 2070) and currently own a Sony G520P...

Ah, interesting, thanks.

I actually found a few posts of yours from a while back while I was searching for information on the 2070 based displays, and noted that you weren't happy with your LaCie.

The G520 being easier to "fix" as it ages with the WinDAS software and cable is definitely factoring into my decision. I've seen the Sony tube brightness issue on my G420 and Dell P992 first-hand. Not actually sure if the P275 has the ports for the WinDAS cable though as it has a very different casing from the other G520 rebrands, but I'm guessing it does.

The only problem with purchasing the P275 would be that the store selling it isn't too great (http://www.compuvest.us/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=242707&CategoryCode=MONITORS). It's brand new and in the retail packaging, but if it's messed up in any way due to either just sitting around for a long time (it's overstock I'm guessing) or being mishandled dealing with them might be a little tough. If the P275 is the better monitor though, I'll just cross that bridge when (or if) I come to it. I don't suppose anyone here actually has one of these or has tried one?

Any word OP?

It seems the consensus is that G520 tubes are a little more reliable and serviceable by the end-user, and that pic quality is at least compareable, if not outright better, than 2070sb equivalents. While on the other hand the 2070sb appears to be a culmination of the entire diamondtron line, on paper at least, yet it is likely not very serviceable by the end-user.

Too bad more 2070SB or P1230 & 2141SB users aren't chiming in.

Nope, still thinking it over. It'd be nice to hear from anyone else with any of these monitors, though.

Given what I've heard so far however, I'll probably be going with the IBM P275 unless something else comes up. I'm only really hesitating because the P1230 could be better, but I'm sure the P275 would be by no means "bad".

Nope, still thinking it over. It'd be nice to hear from anyone else with any of these monitors, though.

Given what I've heard so far however, I'll probably be going with the IBM P275 unless something else comes up. I'm only really hesitating because the P1230 could be better, but I'm sure the P275 would be by no means "bad".

What do you need to know about the HP P1230? I've got one of those monitors and have opened the case to do some fine tuning of focus,G2, etc. Everything inside is made by Mitsubishi so it's really the 2070SB with a different shell. Factory/Service menu is also exactly the same. There is a huge amount of settings exposed for people interested in tweaking every aspect of their monitor. From my experience, the Sony's don't expose as many settings to the user unless you buy/build a special interface cable and software.

I have not seen the P275 but I have seen many refurb 260's. They all had excessive brightness problems and scratches in the screen coating. I would NEVER buy a used Sony unless you can see it in person - quality is very inconsistent.

I'm just wondering how it compares to the P275 or any of the other G520 equivalents. The P275 I'm considering is new by the way -- as is the P1230. I'm not too interested in buying used or refurbished CRTs anymore.

To sum it up, the main reasons why I'm considering the older P275/G520 over this are the analog DVI connection (I have a dual-DVI video card) and my unfamiliarity with Diamondtron tubes. I've never seen one in person or used one, so I don't really know what to expect picture quality wise moving from Trinitrons to a P1230. The P1230 has higher refresh rates and is newer though, so it's making this a tough decision.

I am glad to hear confirmation that it is basically a 2070SB and uses the Mitsubishi electronics, thanks.

I let my brother use my G520P and it still has a great picture today, it also has one feature I wish my FW900 had ..The brightness toggle switch on the front panel which lets you select Pro / Standard or Dynamic. Pro is great for extended work with text and Dynamic looks great with Movies & Gaming.

What do you need to know about the HP P1230? I've got one of those monitors and have opened the case to do some fine tuning of focus,G2, etc. Everything inside is made by Mitsubishi so it's really the 2070SB with a different shell. Factory/Service menu is also exactly the same. There is a huge amount of settings exposed for people interested in tweaking every aspect of their monitor. From my experience, the Sony's don't expose as many settings to the user unless you buy/build a special interface cable and software.

I have not seen the P275 but I have seen many refurb 260's. They all had excessive brightness problems and scratches in the screen coating. I would NEVER buy a used Sony unless you can see it in person - quality is very inconsistent.
Sorry to jump in, but hoping you can provide more info about fine tuning a 2070SB equivalent. As in any software, linkage, or keywords you could provide?

I've never stumbled upon any real Diamondtron service related info, just a bunch of dead links. I've found plenty of G500, G520 and FW900 stuff though. Am looking to archive most of it, it'll come in very handy one day.

thanks in advance

Sorry to jump in, but hoping you can provide more info about fine tuning a 2070SB equivalent. As in any software, linkage, or keywords you could provide?

I've never stumbled upon any real Diamondtron service related info, just a bunch of dead links. I've found plenty of G500, G520 and FW900 stuff though. Am looking to archive most of it, it'll come in very handy one day.

thanks in advance

Search feature of this forum is your friend. :)

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029993643&postcount=41

This is where I got the service manual. That site also contains service manuals for many other monitors and electronics.

Regarding the P275 DVI ports... the P260 also has those. I can't really understand their purpose since only the analog pins are actually used. I doubt you will see any image difference compared to a quality VGA cable. Image may actually be worse if the cable thickness is the same, since most of that space will be wasted on the unused DVI pins/wires. Just find a direct DVI->VGA cable someplace if your video card doesn't have VGA outputs.

It's been too long since I saw the P260 so it's hard to compare with my P1230. Never seen a P275 but was considering one when I got my HP. Diamondtrons tend to have better convergence and longevity in my experience. Do you really want to mess with the interface cable/software every few years to fix the brightness drift on most of the Sony monitors? Maybe the P275 fixed that issue but I don't know. Definitely stay away from used CRT monitors unless it's a local pickup. IBM and HP both have very good warranty service so I doubt you can go wrong with either monitor if it's new. Good luck.

Regarding the P275 DVI ports... the P260 also has those. I can't really understand their purpose since only the analog pins are actually used. I doubt you will see any image difference compared to a quality VGA cable. Image may actually be worse if the cable thickness is the same, since most of that space will be wasted on the unused DVI pins/wires. Just find a direct DVI->VGA cable someplace if your video card doesn't have VGA outputs.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. I actually have tried a DVI-VGA cable, but it either wasn't very good or there was something wrong with the last monitor I tried.

Do you really want to mess with the interface cable/software every few years to fix the brightness drift on most of the Sony monitors? Maybe the P275 fixed that issue but I don't know.

That would be a big plus not having to deal with that. The image restoration option in the OSD helps to an extent, but there definitely does come a point where you need to use the cable. I'm positive the P275 is no different than the other G520 based models in this regard.

This is making me lean towards the P1230 again. I take it you have no complaints with yours or feel there's a better option out there? If I run into the geometry issues that gr33dy did I can always send it back (though I hope I won't get nailed with the shipping costs :( ).

Search feature of this forum is your friend. :)

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029993643&postcount=41

This is where I got the service manual. That site also contains service manuals for many other monitors and electronics.
Haha indeed, that tidbit of info came in under my radar. Thank you again, will try to share the wealth with other 2070SB owners

This is making me lean towards the P1230 again. I take it you have no complaints with yours or feel there's a better option out there? If I run into the geometry issues that gr33dy did I can always send it back (though I hope I won't get nailed with the shipping costs :( ).
Good news, the last fella in this forum who had to rma a refurbished CRT to accurateIT didn't have to pay return shipping, and the fella before him if i remember correctly. And those were for ~ $150 refurb CRT's, let alone a $$$ brand new one ;).

Hey OP, remember how i mentioned that neighbor that acquires and refurbishes FW900's and sells them for $275? Well he's willing to work out a deal for around $190 + a slightly extended warranty. Mind you this is not the ebay merchant i recently linked (that's somebody else, somebody i've never met that is).

decisions decisions........

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. I actually have tried a DVI-VGA cable, but it either wasn't very good or there was something wrong with the last monitor I tried.

That would be a big plus not having to deal with that. The image restoration option in the OSD helps to an extent, but there definitely does come a point where you need to use the cable. I'm positive the P275 is no different than the other G520 based models in this regard.

HP has a 3 year warranty on these things. They will pay for shipping and/or do an advance replacement where they drop off a new one and pick up the old one. In case you don't want to deal with the seller.

I'm generally happy with mine. First CRT I've had with practically 0 convergence error. Focus is good across entire screen (after tweaking). No color uniformity issues. I would say the weakest link is the black level. It's slightly brighter at the top of the screen. Sort of looks like LCD backlight bleeding. It's not noticeable unless I display an all black screen, turn off all lights, and wait a few minutes for my eyes to adjust. Non-issue and I also noticed a similar thing on the Sony P260's I looked at. I would probably agree with some of the previous posters that the colors are different from a Trinitron. I had to adjust the R,G,B sliders on the user-menus but I'm happy with the results now.

To be honest, I would actually prefer you order the P275. If it's decent, maybe I would get one too. :) The warranty on my P1230 expires this month and I wouldn't mind having a backup in case it fails. Quality new CRT's are becoming nearly impossible to find and LCD technology is not progressing anywhere close to what I find acceptable.

I'd actually be getting an overstock unit, so I wouldn't have a warranty from anyone other than the seller.

I'm sure I can work something out with the colors. The last three CRTs I've used have all looked quite different from each other anyhow, so I'm not sure I'm really "used" to anything at this point. Unless it looks really strange or inaccurate, I'm not sure it'd bother me.

I'm curious though, why would you prefer I get the P275? Is it just because you might want one or is there some other reason why I should consider it over the P1230? :p

As long as the DVI thing is a non-issue and the Diamondtron tube looks fine to me, the P1230 sounds like the better monitor to me. Better refresh rates, larger tube (same viewable area, but I believe the less of the tube that's actually used, the better), and it's newer.

I do know that I'd like the P275 however, since I've used a G420 and another G520 rebrand. It'd probably be the safer option, but I might be kicking myself later for not trying the P1230 if it's better.

Hey OP, remember how i mentioned that neighbor that acquires and refurbishes FW900's and sells them for $275? Well he's willing to work out a deal for around $190 + a slightly extended warranty.

Nice! That's a bit better than $700. :)

Hi All,
I currently am using the Sony CPD G520P Monitor & it's fantastic. I had a NEC 2470 LCD, but my Wife claimed it as Hers. Subsequently, I purchased the Westinghouse LVM-37W3 1080P Monitor. The Westy is in the bedroom & the Sony is still being used as my Monitor for my computer. The Sony was manufactured in Jan 03 & the picture is second to none. If you want my opinion, go with the Sony, you won't be sorry.

I'd actually be getting an overstock unit, so I wouldn't have a warranty from anyone other than the seller.

I'm curious though, why would you prefer I get the P275? Is it just because you might want one or is there some other reason why I should consider it over the P1230? :p

I think you would be surprised how relaxed some of the warranty terms are from companies like HP, IBM, etc. Much better than from monitor companies (Sony, NEC, etc). My HP P1230 was also a brand new "overstock" I got from someone on Ebay a few years back ($200 shipped). I was curious about the warranty so I emailed HP with the serial number. They said warranty was good till July 07. It's all based on serial number, not where/when you purchase from (at least for HP). I'm pretty sure IBM offers similar if not better service.

The reason I wanted you to get the P275 is because it's cheaper and I'm curious how it performs. If it ends up being good, I would rather spend less money than go for another P1230. I think paying more than $300 for a new CRT these days is kind of hard to swallow, especially when people are practically giving used ones away on craigslist, etc. They have very little resale value now.

Ah, good to hear about the warranty.

I'm honestly not too concerned about the price. The P275 I linked actually comes out to slightly over $300 after shipping, anyhow. The difference between it and the P1230 in cost is pretty slim, and at this point I just want to buy something that I'm not going to return in a week again. Paying $300 for a quality CRT doesn't bug me that much. It's a bargain if you consider how much these used to cost when they were new.

Anyhow, if the DVI on the P275 is useless, I can't see much of a reason to go for it instead other than the cautions I've heard here about the color and geometry on the P1230, though they could easily end up not being an issue for me.

I currently am using the Sony CPD G520P Monitor & it's fantastic...

Thanks for the input.

Okay, I'm an idiot.

I decided to give the P1230 a shot, and I am not pleased at all. There must be something wrong with this, because I cannot fathom how the 2070SB could have gotten a reputation as anything other than an expensive joke if they all look like this.

My first impression after turning it on was that the colors were awful. The black POST screen and Windows XP logo looked more red than black, and my gray desktop background was also extremely red. Turning down the red balance helped a little, but it's still absolutely terrible. The blank screensaver I use looks more like a dark orange mess than the pure black it was on my Trinitrons.

Geometry is bad near the top of the screen. Not sure if it's uncorrectable yet, but there is some serious warping of the mouse cursor whenever I bring it up there, and title bars for applications look very strange and squished when they're maximized.

Focus also seems to be very bad along random portions of the screen, mostly around the edges. There are also a few spots in the center that are incredibly blurry. The only good thing that I've noticed in this regard is that the few areas of the screen that do look sharp still look good even at very high resolutions or refresh rates, better than other CRTs I've used probably.

On top of all of that, the display is making a very annoying and loud buzzing sound. Is there anything I can do to salvage this, or should I be contacting the seller for a refund? Also, is there any way to check the number of hours that this thing has been used?

All in all, this seems to be everything I had hoped wouldn't happen and then some. I think I should've just bought the P275. :(

Don't believe there's a usage meter, but you can often spot tell-tale signs of use. I'd still get my money back, especially after all the rotten luck you've had :(. Sounds like that monitor has a few different problems, I'm also guessing it took a major fall at some point, or just defective from the start.

Pretty sure AccurateIT covers return shipping.

I think you can, but I'm just not sure how to get to it. The service manual that wizziwig linked to earlier in this thread says: "If "DIAGNOSIS" is selected from the menu in the factory mode, the monitor operation time will appear." The only problem is I have no clue where "Diagnosis" is in the factory menu. :p

I just want to make sure this is actually new. I wouldn't expect AccurateIT to stiff me on it on purpose, but maybe a mistake was made. If it isn't new and I can prove it, that would make returning it a lot easier.

AccurateIT's site says they don't, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did after I called, especially considering how bad this thing is and that it's new. I'm definitely not getting stuck with shipping charges both ways and a 15% restocking fee for this, I can tell you that.

Okay, I'm an idiot.

I decided to give the P1230 a shot, and I am not pleased at all. (

Sorry to hear of your continued troubles Tosan.

Has anybody had luck picking up a high end new old stock CRT recently?

(What is really still available at this point? From Tosan's experiences, it doesn't sound good...)

As far as I know, the only "new" CRTs left that are worth anything are the P1130s occasionally listed on eBay and the P275.

As far as I know, the only "new" CRTs left that are worth anything are the P1130s occasionally listed on eBay and the P275.

Wow, sorry to hear about your problems. I suspect the monitor was either bad or damaged in shipping. The fact that it's making noise is definitely not normal. With all those problems combined, it would be very difficult (if not impossible) to fix on your own. You either need to send it back to dealer or check with HP to see if they will swap it for free. You can check HP warranty coverage here but most will be expired since they have not produced these monitors in years:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...n&cc=us&prodSeriesId=374654&prodTypeId=382087

I will have to check on my factory menu when I get home tonight to see if there is a way to get the usage hours out. Did yours come with a plastic decal/film covering the center of the screen that you had to peel off the glass? If the decal was still in place, then it must have been new/unused.

I will have to check on my factory menu when I get home tonight to see if there is a way to get the usage hours out.
Any idea if the late model Trinitrons have the same service function to display the # of hours on the tube?

I got a chance to play around with the factory menu on one of the 2070SB's here at work. You can get the total hours/minutes used by entering the factory menu. Then keep pressing the '<' or '>' buttons (left/right) until it gets to the Info menu. Press 'Select' to enter info menu. Now press '<' (left). It will show the country name and minutes used.

Tosan, what did you end up doing with your monitor? Has anyone tried the P275 you listed? Are there any other alternatives for a new quality CRT? thanks

I sent it back. They refunded the full amount I paid for the monitor itself, though I haven't gotten around to sending them my shipping receipt yet. They said they'd refund shipping costs as well after I sent that in.

I've been a little busy lately so I haven't had a chance to try the P275 yet. As far as I know, there are still no other real alternatives for a new quality CRT. Anyone feel like being a guinea pig? :p

I've recently got a IBM c220p Trinitron monitor but its seem the brightness level is no where near good as standard LCD.

I tried to improve it by adjusting the RGB colors but is there any way to access the service menu and alter then settings there?

That's just a fact of life. CRTs are not as bright as LCDs, and I'm not sure why you'd want one to be. Their lower brightness is, in my opinion, one of their strengths in displaying games and movies. It is less desirable for casual desktop work such as web browsing, but I certainly wouldn't prefer a CRT to an LCD for that kind of usage.

I sent it back. They refunded the full amount I paid for the monitor itself, though I haven't gotten around to sending them my shipping receipt yet. They said they'd refund shipping costs as well after I sent that in.

I've been a little busy lately so I haven't had a chance to try the P275 yet. As far as I know, there are still no other real alternatives for a new quality CRT. Anyone feel like being a guinea pig? :p

I'd still check to see if anything is available directly from NEC/Mitsubishi...

Not sure I want to after seeing that P1230, even if there are some available.

Granted, it was obviously very old and in poor condition, but it was suffering from basically every complaint I've read about that particular tube, including the unfixable pincushioning at the top of the screen and poor corner focus. Those issues may or may not have been present when it was new, but it was enough to scare me away from Diamondtrons.

I'm fairly sure that only the FE2111SB is available new anyhow, which just isn't good enough.

Back