2070 worth buying now?

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
Thinking about buying a RTX 2070 at Local Best buy. I have a 10 percent discount that expires on 20 Oct. It is founders edition. 599 one. I know that I will eventually get one anyway. Are there any demos, games, etc that show off the ray tracing.. Not sure about buying ,but right now I have the resources, I won't later. It would replace the 1070 I have in a I 6500, 16 gb 2400 ddr 4 ,500 gb ssd win 10 system with Hp Windows Mixed Reality... Opinions?

Thinking about buying a RTX 2070 at Local Best buy. I have a 10 percent discount that expires on 20 Oct. It is founders edition. 599 one. I know that I will eventually get one anyway. Are there any demos, games, etc that show off the ray tracing.. Not sure about buying ,but right now I have the resources, I won't later. It would replace the 1070 I have in a I 6500, 16 gb 2400 ddr 4 ,500 gb ssd win 10 system with Hp Windows Mixed Reality... Opinions?

If you save the money, how could you not have the resources later? Also agree with serbianem, not really worth the price premium imo.

you know how cash is. There's always some necessity that comes along...

What resolution do you game at? Personally I'd ugrade your processor and motherboard at that price.

I have a feeling that Ray Tracing, once it does come out is going to really hinder the performance of the 2080 & 70. People are not going to be happy with the performance hit.

1920 x 1080 don't have a 4k TV Got it from Best Buy for 539. and if there is a problem I can just return it.....Hell I would have just spent the cash on other BS.....next year maybe an RTX laptop.....

1920 x 1080 don't have a 4k TV Got it from Best Buy for 539. and if there is a problem I can just return it.....Hell I would have just spent the cash on other BS.....next year maybe an RTX laptop.....
I got the same coupon, I normally don't like FE cards but these look pretty sweet and finally dual fan. I'm here with a gtx 1070 as well but man a used 1080ti seems like the best deal right now. Going for $500, I know not everyone is into used but quite a performance jump.

i am close on the 2070 myself... i think i'm going to wait - not sure why everyone is super upset about the price. yes it's high but the 970 launch cards were what, 350? and a few years later the launch 1070 founders edition was 450, i know cause i stood in line and bought one... and now, the launch day 2070 ranges from 500 to 600... and it's not your average every day bump, this is a card both more powerful than the 1080 and it includes a whole new set of technologies that we don't know the scope of...

not to mention new shiny things always add a bump to the price... this isn't just better than the last gen but it's better and we're trying to sell you shiny new ray tracing things!

so you're getting more card than a 1080 which can 4k all day, and you're getting a whole separate set of tensor cores *(so l33t!1!!) and future compatibility with ray tracing if and when it becomes the next big thing (i'm still waiting on vr to become the next thing)

now the 2080ti is way over priced, that's just stupid...

*of course i'm kidding... i'm 41 years old, i don't even know what l33t means

If you are considering buying a 1080, then you SHOULD buy a 2070 instead. The prices are too close.

And sell that 1070 ASAP while it's still worth good money.

If you have a 1070 or 1080 you're silly to buy now as there is no games supporting it yet. I would wait unless you just have to have it or have like a 780 or 980.

I have a GTX 970 and I grabbed a Gigabyte $499 model as it had a backplate and 8+6 pin power over eVGA's naked card and 8-pin only. I would consider a 1080 or a 1080ti at a good price, but I want either a new card, or a card with plenty of warranty that's easily transferrable (follows card; I don't have to chase down a random stranger in a year or two). Thus far, for new cards, I haven't seen any really solid deals, and the 2070 is the only 2 series card that even remotely makes sense price wise (but I feei the card should be $400-450, but whatever).

TL;DR - I think it has a good (but not amazing) value at $499, but I think it's ridiculous at $650+ unless benchmarks show those models to have an extreme edge (aka 1080ti performance). Benchmarks are still kinda limited.

You can buy a used 1080 Ti for 500 that's way faster than a 2070.

RTX 20 series will be short lived since 7nm chips are launching next year. No point buying into these RTX features right now, only card worth getting at msrp is the 2080 Ti if you have the money and need the performance.

There's a rumor of a 2070TI, whether or not that happens who knows. I want a new toy to play with myself... The MSI Armor 2070 isn't bad and I have spent more for less FPS increases lol.

You can buy a used 1080 Ti for 500 that's way faster than a 2070.

RTX 20 series will be short lived since 7nm chips are launching next year. No point buying into these RTX features right now, only card worth getting at msrp is the 2080 Ti if you have the money and need the performance.

He didn't ask for used.

New a 1080 Ti is $700 today.

That still leaves the 2070 as the undisputed value king of the higher-end cards. Unfortunately. Because I agree all the pricing is out of hand.

But if you want "in" on the highest end cards right now the bottom end leaves you only a couple of choices. If we leave the 1070 and 1070 Ti out of this you have the 1080 and the 2070 at the $500 mark. Thanks to a large price increase in the price of 1080 cards there are only a couple of them that are under $500. Even if you find one for $450 why on earth would you buy a 1080 at $450 when there are numerous 2070 cards for $500 flat? And they have benched out being faster than the 1080 for the vast majority (but not every) game. Also, on newer titles they are way ahead and pull ahead even more if you decide to try to push 4k with them.

It's an easy choice at the moment. It's just expensive.

The real question is why in hades are 1080 and 2070 cards this high to begin with? These should be the $350-400 cards. Tops.

I cannot see buying a new 1080 when the 2070 is faster with way more features. Also I would buy a 2080 over a 1080 Ti for the same reasons. Used would have different considerations.

DSLL should have some legs and give some performance uplifts with minimal IQ hits. Plus those tensor cores can be put to AI use and could be fun to use.

RT? Looks to be the most limiting new feature or use case.

Some of us just have no real need or would see anykind of real benefit. If I just had a 1070, looking to upgrade but keeping the price down, I would get the 2070 and sell the 1070. Older generation cards would see a big boost upgrading.

Prices in Europe are so weird right now. 2070 depending on the model can be cheaper than 1080 while 2080 is around the same price as 1080 Ti. Used 1080 Tis are generally several hundred euros cheaper than a 2080.

2070 is probably going to be quite rubbish for raytracing so only reason to buy it would be that it's faster and cheaper than a new 1080.

I had it less than 2 days and never even broke the box seal. The more I thought about it the less I really wanted it. The fewer people who buy overpriced cards the less Nvidia will be able to charge. I returned it to Best buy unopened...

Reactions: N4CR
like this
No RTX card will make any sense from a price/performance perspective until the technologies inflating their prices are mainstream among developers... which means the 20-series in particular will never make sense.

You did a good, OP. That cash of yours is better spent elsewhere.

I can live with my 1070 I 6500 desktop and my Asus 1060 I7700 VR laptop.....

OP, the Turing cards are fine if you are in the market for a card today. They have the same price/performance as the Pascal cards, with added features. I do have some hope that DLSS can make a nice difference if it is widely adopted. The fact that we haven't seen it yet gives me pause. But really if I were in the market for a new card today I would be looking at the Turing cards. It's not as though AMD offers any type of cheaper or better alternative. The Vega cards are actually more expensive than the RTX 2070. It also appears that the AIB cards are priced at $499, which is nice. No gouging so far.

I'm not sure what the used Pascal card market is like right now. If you could get a cheap used GTX 1080 Ti that would also be a nice alternative. Just be mindful of the fact that there is a good chance it was used for mining. See if you can get one with a transferable serial based warranty.

*edit*

Coming from a GTX 1070 I'm not sure this is a meaningful enough upgrade. I would either get an RTX 2080 or else I wouldn't even bother.

Back