2020 Lenovo Chromebook Duet 2-in-1

pfc_m_drake

2[H]4U
So, my Pixel C tablet bit-the-big-one so I thought I'd go 'modern' and get a Chromebook 2-in-1

This thing is a hot piece of garbage. First of all, I'm asking *very* little of this device. I don't expect it to be my Plex server...I don't expect it to mine for Eth at 80 MH/s...really all I'm looking for is for the YouTube App to work, for it to function as my secondary alarm clock, and to read Kindle books on it. And if the browser worked, that'd be a nice bonus.

Well, the Kindle App seems to work well enough.
YouTube worked initially - now, forget it.
The standard Android Clock/Alarm App (by Google)...yeah. It basically ignores the alarms. Sometimes the alarm will 'go off' but it will be dead silent. At least the screen lights up and gives me the option to dismiss....

Anybody run into these problems before? Any suggestions?
Any good websites on workarounds for Chromebooks? Seems like there's probably pent-up demand if not...

So just a small update: I forced an update on the Chromebook OS. This seems to have resolved the issues with YouTube and browsing. I reset the alarms on the default clock app, and they now preview the 'oxygen' 'oxygen'alarm sound. So we'll see if they actually go off as expected in the morning.

What I'm guessing/hoping is that I got particularly unlucky with major OS and app updates due to Android 12 rolling recently (as luck would have it, I just got Android 12 on my Pixel 4a5g).

Bottom line: if the thing orks as advertised now hat everything is updated, then I guess I'll be happy - albeit disconcerting that update revisions can sink the entire thing.

To be continued...

My experience with Chrome OS devices is that they don't tell you that they are downloading updates, etc. unless you force it to check for updates. Out of the box, the first thing they do is check for updates and the whole experience slows to a crawl while it fetches them. Once it is updated, they work fine. Sounds like that's what happened to you.

Back