2018 TCL Televisions from CES

joeh_1974

Weaksauce
AVS Forum just had a writeup on the 2018 TCL lineup announced at CES.

http://www.avsforum.com/tcl-lcd-tvs-ces-2018/

From that write up, it looks like they will offer up a 43" 5 series with HDR, Dolby, and wide gamut color. No mention of how many nits for HDR, but they're also pitching auto color calibration.

I've been looking for a new computer monitor with HDR support, and this may fit the bill. Hope to see more info soon on the new lineup.

No mention of refresh rate would lead me to believe they are still at 60hz though.

The current one is probably the best budget to on the market. These seem to improve on that already great formula, just not for dual purpose as a PC display.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/08/technology/lg-rollable-display-ces-2018/index.html

so what should everyone game plan be? transparent or fold? I'm aiming at fold, but if I boot up a PC, it takes that long for it to erect, it's time that I don't want to wait for the screen.

if I go w/ transaparent, it sits in front of my desk, would you people think it blocks the way if the screen is too big? I think we should do a survey on this

To freesync/ G-sync lovers:

"At Samsung's First Look TV event ahead of CES 2018, a company executive told us that its 2018 range of QLED TVs will support VRR (variable refresh rate) technology from the likes of G-Sync and Freesync, even though the underlying chipset is not full HDMI 2.1.

Other HDMI 2.1 features that are supported include HDR10+ open-standard dynamic metadata format, and eARC (enhanced ARC)."

Reactions: elvn
like this
MICRO LED, the OLED killer?

It would be amazing if we finally could get proper image quality for PC monitors at last with microled.

4 out of 5 TV manufacturer has jumped to OLED. Anything gadget from samsung, such as QLED is dying

we got a 43" tcl at the house for the bedroom, and it's been great for a budget tv. Only issue's we've had is the Roku implementation is a little slow compared to a standalone unit (We also have a fire tv) and the model we have is wifi only (I prefer wired). Otherwise it's been wonderful, and the fact we got it for $125 didn't hurt.

4 out of 5 TV manufacturer has jumped to OLED. Anything gadget from samsung, such as QLED is dying
I'd be happy with a 40" or 43" QLED 4K as my next monitor. OLED would be even better, of course., but I doubt we'll see that size anytime soon.

I have been using Philip BDM4035 as a 4K monitor for years now. So I am waiting for a 8K transparent OLED but now there is that rolling OLED, it's not a bad idea if it can erect much faster, the motor is too slow

For me if its 4k it has to have hdr, low input lag and 120Hz and preferably gsynch. I simply will not buy a 60Hz tv to use as a monitor. I'd rather get a 34" ultra wide that offers these features. Some day maybe but I dont see it happening this year. Hopefully the manufacturers will prove me wrong.

sounds nice, that 43". I wonder if it's the s405 successor. Probably not.
There's a $200-250 price difference between the 55" S and P series, so I'm guessing this 5 series will fit in between at the $500 price point.

I hope they don't fuck up the 43" like their other screen sizes, where you have dot matrix pixel noise effect.

43" roku TV's of other brands have this ugly dimming dithering effect.

The Natural Motion 240 soap opera smoothing would mean native 120hz panel?

But hdmi 2.0 can't support 4k 120hz chroma 4:4:4

Anyway, TCL bringing the heat with wide color gamut dolby at a lower price point.
Hopefully this will force samsung to bring out something more competitive. Their 6290 and 6300 series are cheap quality.

Last edited:
No mention of refresh rate would lead me to believe they are still at 60hz though.

The current one is probably the best budget to on the market. These seem to improve on that already great formula, just not for dual purpose as a PC display.

What if the double duty is for office work not gaming?

I'd be happy with a 40" or 43" QLED 4K as my next monitor. OLED would be even better, of course., but I doubt we'll see that size anytime soon.
QLED is great as long as you don't mind a Q-Beam shining in your face all time (noting that most people's existing monitor setups are already doing this). It's just that Samsung QLED is just another word for really really really really bright.

1 thing I am relieve, is that those "curve LCD" is finally put to rest after all these years, w/ the new transparent or foldable OLED replacing the "curve" feature

Yeah I'm glad too that curve is going the way of 3d ... It was a gadget for the sake of being a gadget. I can understand curve for a single user computer display but it made no sense in a TV where people would be sitting to the sides and center.

Also how are they doing VRR and all that on HDMI 2.0? I thought the whole point of 2.1 was also increased bandwidth for all that new data that the new features needed?

I never understand even if it were for a single person. We have the curved CRT for decades, then Sony cooks up the flat screen trinitron, and I really like it. To curve back the other way because that's match the contour of my eyes, that's so bull shit.

In the next 3 to 4 yr., technology improvement, they are going to make that rolling box smaller and lighter, and they are going to make its erection much faster.

In the next 3 to 4 yr., technology improvement, they are going to make that rolling box smaller and lighter, and they are going to make its erection much faster.
I'm sure people everywhere will be pleased by faster erections.

using the translation software, why do we have to wait till 2020 to have the usage of rollabel OLED, it's out now for demo purpose, it'll take 2 to 3 more years?

the translated text is as below:

Power's team was given the opportunity to attend the major European OLED conference organized by LG Display - a subsidiary of LG Electronics - during which brands offering OLED TVs sold off announcements , orchestrated by the Korean giant manufacturing small, medium and large OLED tiles. As you will see, we were not disappointed with our trip to Munich as the announcements were legion, starting with the current and planned market shares in 2018-2020, as well as the presentation of Wall-Paper screens , flexible, concave, etc! This show with wide repercussions has allowed all brands (except Sony ...) to unveil their novelties and plans on the comet OLED for years to come. Admittedly, the speech often looked like a booster shot, but the scent of a part of the future was there with the ongoing efforts around TV in terms of 8K definition (for the production of images, and probably for the general public around 2021/2022), as well as the confirmation of the progress made on the flexible, roll-up screens). Regarding tariffs, the question has been raised many times, and LG Display has made announcements about the opening of new factories, which should relieve the market! Do not miss this issue of Power Special OLED / 2018-2020! Next week, we will be in China for an exclusive video report in Europe

"At Samsung's First Look TV event ahead of CES 2018, a company executive told us that its 2018 range of QLED TVs will support VRR (variable refresh rate) technology from the likes of G-Sync and Freesync, even though the underlying chipset is not full HDMI 2.1.

Other HDMI 2.1 features that are supported include HDR10+ open-standard dynamic metadata format, and eARC (enhanced ARC)."

The "not full HDMI 2.1" is pretty troubling. I sincerely hope that some of those updates trickle down to older models too.

Also how are they doing VRR and all that on HDMI 2.0? I thought the whole point of 2.1 was also increased bandwidth for all that new data that the new features needed?

HDMI 2.0 can handle VRR just fine as it should not have any significant differences for bandwidth. It should be possible to port it to older models too but whether these companies bother doing it is another question. TVs are incredibly shittily supported products.

Has there been any word if these 2018 TCL sets finally include a black frame insertion option? The 16/17 models had 120Hz backlights, but no actual 120hz input support, so even the max 60Hz content had a distracting “double image” effect. I love the Vizio TVs (I have a P and D series in my home) because they allow for 60Hz BFI while game mode is enabled and it doesn’t bring the massive drop in brightness that the Sony units do thanks to increased amplitude while the backlight is strobing.

As someone who came from CRTs and Plasma, the 60Hz flicker is a non-issue personally and absolutely worth the trade off for virtually eliminated motion blur with 60Hz games and videos. (24Hz video also brings the strobing to 72Hz, no visible flicker at that point) I love that the TCL units offer such low input lag, but the 120Hz backlight and no BFI options makes them a non-starter.

This video shows the INSIDE of the rollable OLED. What I wonder is, what if the wind is strong? Can the wind bend it? Because at 1 summer, I have the windows of my other room open, as well as my computer oom. The wind is so strong that it blows from the other room to my computer room and blow the mesh wire screen of my windows to the front yard. So I couldn't help but wonder for those who use OLED this thin, can the wind blow it to the pt. that it bends it?

is there anyone here at IFA today? For those who's at IFA 2018, did anyone see LG or others having rollabel 8K? They are promoting their 8K OLED and it's going to be available as soon as 2018. But I like to know if they comes in transparent and rollable

So these rollable OLED at CES 2020, if it's available, $60K, well then, it will be a few yr. before the price come down?

Last edited:
Nice...one of my old threads. I actually picked up the 43S525 back in 2018, and I'm still using it today. I didn't see any update from this year's CES regarding a new 5 series replacement for monitor use. Did anyone get info on what may be coming this year for that purpose?

likewise, what is taking the 8K OLED rollable so long? We are still sitting at 4K Rollable, then are we talking about another year to 2 yr. before we can see 8K rollable. And I guess when is 8K OLED TV coming out, they have to come out first before we see the rollable ver. of 8K

Back