2017 WCG X-mas Race

We will certainly leave a few work units for you guys to chew on. Glad you stopped in. If you glance in our nomination sticky thread you will see that we tend to encourage smack talking. So, don't feel like you have to hold back like other forums. We'll just give it right back. :punch:

Welcome 410esseeTony to our forum. We are all a happy crunchers and no grudgers....

I've to admit that I registered with your forum too under the same name but never intended to post anything in your DC forum. But now, maybe I can :)

BTW, I like the AnandTech forum post on turboing all the xeon cores in haswell. It works on my 2683v3:D

I thought I saw a puddy taat I did i did :D Sorry man, I had to do it!!!!

Welcome to [H] Tony, posts don't get deleted here, well not as often as some other sites, it has to be a real personal attack.
Have to have thick skin here. This is NOT a safe space!
Spend the 5 bucks and join genmay. Trust me it's a blast. 25$ for lifetime.

Last edited:
Hiya Bill! You're still on my list for getting a Christmas Card. :) In fact, I'll forget if I don't send it right now, so here ya go, and Merry Christmas! (none of you will be able to look a Mall Santa in the eye again, trust me) :)

modelsanta2.jpg

Welcome to [H] Tony, posts don't get deleted here, well not as often as some other sites, it has to be a real personal attack.

Or you could get access for free by merely folding for a small period for our team. - https://hardforum.com/threads/h-orde-rewards-program-revised.1929895/page-2#post-1043216895

10esseeTony
Bill1024

I guess I never pictured WC as Santa, until now.

While I have never met him, I can only judge his appearance from the many trustworthy comments from these forums.

Yes. Join General Mayhem. You will not regret it. Just grab the $5 yearly sub. If ya like it then get the lifetime one.

Oh dear God, I just opened this page and there is my 'Christmas Card' staring at me. What the heck is General Mayhem?

Our subscription based, off-topic forum here. Things get... Interesting.

fastgeek any luck with this?

The challenge starts in ~23 hours, right? If so, there will be something since my proxy crashed about twelve hours ago. :p The shitty thing is that a chunk of my WUs aren't going to be turned in in time as their deadline is in approximately 13 hours. :(

You might still get credit. If no one gets the resend work units and returns them before you then you'll get the credit. However, if someone else gets the WU that gets resent and completes and returns it befor you then you won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started up my compy. Didn't have any bunkd, but there was some almost done from before.
projusertag.php

Last edited:
I'll be unleashing my bunker sometime tomorrow. I don't feel like going to my old house to unleash them all.

Nice poof...

We should get some stats on where we stand at 7AM EST when WCG updates their stats again.

I'll take a screenshot and post it here and the other threads.

Its all good. As long as your boxen isn't idling waiting for more work. Doesn't matter when you unleash the kraken.

Its all good. As long as your boxen isn't idling waiting for more work. Doesn't matter when you unleash the kraken.

Bombs Away!

I managed to not grab quiiiite enough WUs for my boxes, so sadly the old dual cores were idle for most of a day.
I actually ran out on the i7 three days ago, but on that machine I was able to spin up another BOINC instance in a VM to keep it busy thankfully.

r5 1600 running as well. forgot to change boinc default settings during the last competition and accidentally downloaded "5 days" worth a projects which actually ended up being 2 weeks worth, lol.

Well the WCG points haven't officially updated, but judging by DC-Stats we are in the lead. We will see after 7PM EST.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's hope so because the 3 days leading up to the challenge Team China has tripled our output.

Looks like bunkering paid off for me today. Got about 200k on a single update. That's the shotgun, for sure. I had to turn some of those boxes down to 75% after because I can't work in 85 degree temps, hehe. Some of them got turned off entirely. But getting 10 days worth of a single 4P done in about 4-5 seems like a decent input for once. Maybe I'll clear 2% of the team's effort on this challenge, lol.

Switching to MCM this go around definitely helped!

I have my doubts.. which one to work, MCM makes more point per work result achieved, but MIP are way faster..

MCM takes to me an average of 4 hours 18min per work and generate 777.8 points.

MIP takes to me an average of 1 hour 40 min per work and generate 331.96 points.

So.. in the same period of time MIP should result better, right?. In the same period of time of 4 hours, 20 min MIP should produce about 830 points (give or take a couple).. so should better? I'm off here?.. just looking the more efficient way to make points.

No you are right.

However, with bunkering those quick projects go so fast that if to you start 7 days before the event starts your rigs will complete those 1000 max tasks in 3 - 4 days and that's it. While if you run the longer MCM tasks it will keep your rigs running the whole time until you drop your bunker.

This is with a lot of cores though. MGM and myself are using 48core+ AMD rigs.

My quad core Intel rigs all got the shorter tasks such as OpenZika.

No you are right.

However, with bunkering those quick projects go so fast that if to you start 7 days before the event starts your rigs will complete those 1000 max tasks in 3 - 4 days and that's it. While if you run the longer MCM tasks it will keep your rigs running the whole time until you drop your bunker.

This is with a lot of cores though. MGM and myself are using 48core+ AMD rigs.

My quad core Intel rigs all got the shorter tasks such as OpenZika.

Thanks, just what I thought.. my machines are nothing great so every point extra I can deliver to the team the better. I have a combo of OpenZika and MiP for the quad i7s and a combo of MCM and MIP for the ryzen..

Still waiting for confirmation to *dismantle* the works machine to add those *dismantled* machines to the team ;)

Back