2017 (MU) Samsung 6xxx series TV on PC report...

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
So I took advantage of the Black Friday sales last year and picked up a 50" Samsung UN50MU6070 from Best Buy. This is basically the same unit as a 6300 but they deleted Bluetooth, one HDMI port (so it has two instead of 3), and it doesn't come with a smart remote.

It was a 'sidegrade' from the UN50JU6500 I've been using since Christmas of 2015, and my reasons for upgrading were MUCH improved input lag numbers, better contrast ratio, and support for HDR.

I just setup the TV today (finally) and I figured I'd post my thoughts for anyone interested:

• Once configured properly for PC use (Renaming the input on the TV to PC, enabling UHD Deep Color, and changing the Nvidia control panel for RGB, 4:4:4 chroma, and full range) the colors are notably less vibrant than the JU6500 was. I'm not sure what's up with that, but I was able to fix it by going into the advanced picture settings and lowering the R,G,B offsets to -20 for each channel.
  • Input lag when in PC mode is notably better!
  • The contrast ratio is quite a bit better than the 2 year old JU6500 it replaced... it's actually quite nice!
  • All HDMI inputs (all two of them in this case) support 4:4:4 chroma / UHD Deep Color. Previous generations of the value oriented 6 series only supported it on one of their HDMI channels.
  • HDR10 seems to be a bit of a fustercluck when in PC mode. Supposedly in order to get HDR to work you need to lower the chroma down to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 because of HDMI 2.x bandwidth limitations. I tried but was never able to get it to work. It doesn't matter much anyway because 'HDR' on the current 6 series sets is really sort of a pseudo HDR.
  • The 2017 Tizen platform is fairly nice. It's a bit flashier compared to the 2015 era sets but by and large it's a similar feel and the basic menu structure is laid out the same.

As I said, I only first set it up today. I'm still trying to figure out why the colors aren't as vibrant out of the box as they were on the older JU6500. I've been over everything... like I said above I had to drop the red, green, and blue offsets in the Picture -> Advanced -> White Balance -> 2-point menu. Dropping them all to -20 seems to get the closest results to the JU6500 color levels.

I'd be interested to know who else got one of these, and your preferred settings. :)

On the 50" version (UN50MU6070 in my case) the pixel response is ever so slightly worse than the old UN50JU6500... according to RTINGs the actual numbers show a 2ms difference. I CAN notice the difference, but only in specific situations. I think it's worth the trade-off for the better input lag times. In PC mode the MU set totally blows the JU set away, I think the numbers say 29ms versus 19ms between the two sets. I can totally tell the difference whatever it is.

I'm kind of curious to get the 43" version just to check it out and compare. This year the 43" variant uses an IPS panel. Obviously the contrast will be much worse, but the viewing angle and colors should be much better than the other sizes that use VA panels. If the input lag numbers stay respectable that could make one awesome PC display...

I just got one of these from Walmart (40 inch - $249) and took it back the same day. It's so slow in 0-100% transitions that it actually effects usability browsing the net. Scrolling text is just smeared ink trails, etc.

I've had both this and the S405 (S403 @ Costco which is $299) and both have their pros and cons. DSE on the TCL is horrific but it's otherwise a higher quality panel with better color and motion. The Samsung is better in grey uniformity but mine was warmer on the right side vs the left so pick your poison.

I think at <$300 these are nice place holders until the 2018 stuff comes along.

I bought one of the mu6290's from WM for $249 and don't notice any of that. Seems to work fine for me.

I bought one of the mu6290's from WM for $249 and don't notice any of that. Seems to work fine for me.

Pull up a Word document and scroll. It's a smeary mess. Going to do some pondering and tweaking on mine, but I very well may return mine as well.

Pull up a Word document and scroll. It's a smeary mess. Going to do some pondering and tweaking on mine, but I very well may return mine as well.

Ok. I don't really understand the exercise as I don't edit or read documents while scrolling fast. I don't know why you guys are expecting the moon for $249. I was coming from a 6 year old 32" 1080p TV so this has that beat.

Ok. I don't really understand the exercise as I don't edit or read documents while scrolling fast. I don't know why you guys are expecting the moon for $249. I was coming from a 6 year old 32" 1080p TV so this has that beat.

It's not even scrolling remotely fast. Any sort of scrolling (like scrolling down a news article) or moving a window around with areas of high contrast smear like crazy.

It's not even scrolling remotely fast. Any sort of scrolling (like scrolling down a news article) or moving a window around with areas of high contrast smear like crazy.

Well then take it back. I don't know what to tell you. I guess for me it would be one thing if I just spent $1200 on a gaming panel, but I didn't so it's acceptable.

I have MU6300 and I see smearing only when moving window around quite fast but not when scrolling text (maybe because letters are small since I'm using 100% scaling). DSR on LG 43" monitor was driving me crazy (and flicker) and I'm happy to trade DSR for little bit of smearing. Note that rtings.com talks about 'trails' and even recommends Sony 720E over Samsung for that reason for PC use. However, it probably depends on a person or task because Sony's uniformity was a deal breaker for me (that, flicker and almost 2x the price).

I have MU6300 and I see smearing only when moving window around quite fast but not when scrolling text (maybe because letters are small since I'm using 100% scaling). DSR on LG 43" monitor was driving me crazy (that and flicker) and I'm happy to trade DSR for little bit of smearing. Note that rtings.com talks about 'trails' and even recommends Sony 720E over Samsung for that reason for PC use. However, it probably depends on a person or task because Sony's uniformity was a deal breaker for me (that, flicker and almost 2x the price).

Yeah, I'm going to see if I can get over the "trails". It's a really great TV for use as a monitor otherwise.

I've been rocking an MU6300 since November, and really love it.

No noticeable input lab when gaming and the real estate is great for coding.

Back