2015 Tech Industry Diversity Report Card

HardOCP News

[H] News
Engadget has put out a 2015 diversity report card that grades tech companies like Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Twitter on their commitments to diversity.

It's no question that the tech industry is made up overwhelmingly of men. And as far as ethnicities go, whites and Asians tend to dominate the field. Given the enormous impact of tech on our daily lives, this lack of diversity is troubling. Diversity isn't just about making sure these companies represent the population they serve, it's just plain good business -- studies have shown time and again that a more diverse workforce results in better decisions and increased profits.

I would love to see a report on the interview:hire ratio of various demographics. I've seen numerous cases where perfectly qualified male whitey has been passed over for the first female or ethnic to walk in the door.

The ethnic breakdown of the U.S. is:
White Asian Hispanic Black Mixed Other
USA population 79.96% 4.43% 15.1% 12.85% 1.61% 1.15%
So the races of the US translate to 115.1%? That's pretty impressive!

That said, big whoop for diversity, you hire the best fitting cogs to fit in your machine from what is available at the time. I'm not going to read through that whole thing but I wonder if they take into account 20 times more men than women apply for these jobs (that number was just made up to show a point)

"Studies" have shown, eh?

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- Mark Twain, et al.

So the races of the US translate to 115.1%? That's pretty impressive!

That said, big whoop for diversity, you hire the best fitting cogs to fit in your machine from what is available at the time. I'm not going to read through that whole thing but I wonder if they take into account 20 times more men than women apply for these jobs (that number was just made up to show a point)

Sometimes there is a double count because Hispanics are sometimes counted as white and other times as Hispanic. Figures up in 70s usually mean Hispanics are being counted as white.

Sometimes there is a double count because Hispanics are sometimes counted as white and other times as Hispanic. Figures up in 70s usually mean Hispanics are being counted as white.

Considering the total came out to 115.1%, and Hispanics accounted for 15.1%, I would think you are prolly dead on. Hispanics do tend to get lumped in with whites.

My question is what are they going to do to "fix" this non issue, that pussies have made such a stink about? It's not the whites that are "over represented", it's the Asians. Are they going to ask for a hiring freeze on Asian males?

Of course the elephant in the room is that more Asian and White males get the degrees that fit the qualifications of those jobs. This disparity starts in the education system, and the the natural result, if race and gender are ignored, is that in the interview room, Asian and White males are the primary candidates that actually have the qualifications these companies need. The whole diversity report nonsense is idiotic when looked at with that simple fact in mind.

No comments enabled for sorce, contacted the author to point out she missed age diversity and the implications of these companies who have vast numbers of contracted visa'd engineers that are not part of her report, but that her tables were well laid out. She blocked me. Lolz

I would love to see a report on the interview:hire ratio of various demographics. I've seen numerous cases where perfectly qualified male whitey has been passed over for the first female or ethnic to walk in the door.
Now that I hear the legal issue is over, I can confirm that this is perfectly legal, even for upper management to encourage. Discrimination against a group defined as non-protected isn't illegal, particularly if the goal is to lend weight to improving the "diversity" of an organization.

Apparently, the fine line is that you aren't allowed to deliberately fire people because of their race or gender, but you can give preference on who NOT to fire based on their race or gender in a positive manner (even though the end-result is identical) and you can give preference to race and gender during the hiring process. It blows my mind, but apparently that was the result of the internal and then legal audit after a high profile case at our office.

I've seen numerous cases where perfectly qualified male whitey has been passed over for the first female or ethnic to walk in the door.

Not sure about that. The tech is much less attractive for local school students, business is. In India and China the tech is the way for masses to get better life, even through immigration. They're simply better prepared for tech jobs.

Back