2015 Samsung 4k TV as a Monitor Set Up Guide

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Zarathustra[H], Jul 22, 2015.

1. revenant

revenant [H]ardForum Junkie

Maybe a setting in your TV.. like hdmi black levels ?

2. ChodeNOde

ChodeNOde n00bie

Naw - I wish it were so simple. I switched back to that 378 driver. Destiny 2 is no longer in beta, so I didn't have a chance to try it there. Noticed a difference in Resident Evil 7, but the game is so dark as it is I'm not sure if I'm getting this amazing picture or not. I really don't care to play the game, so not sure what else I can try to verify that the older driver does it for me.

3. Domingo

Domingo [H]ardForum Junkie

At some point one of the firmwares for the KS8000 made some (good) HDR tweaks. It no longer gives me the "HDR content detected" flag, but it seems to remember HDR-specific color settings now. No more having to change all of my settings any time a game uses HDR.

Not sure if it was Nvidia, Samsung, or Microsoft, but HDR auto-detect also seems to work in Windows again.

4. harsaphes

harsaphes [H]ardness Supreme

Morning all. I have a question about my 65 inch 9500 series. Recently when I turn on the set the information 'overlay' that displays HDMI, date, time appears at the top of the screen but will no longer go away. It use to last a few seconds and then disappear, now I have to hit the 'return' button on the remote to make it go away. Any idea why this is happening and how to stop it?
    Thanks.

5. Lizard Testes

Lizard Testes Limp Gawd

Anyone know if the newer models (e.g. Q7) don't automatically default to 4:2:2 in game mode? I'm in game mode and as far as I can tell from looking at the test image I'm still in 4:4:4 but I'm wondering if I'm getting more input lag because of it.

6. Lizard Testes

Lizard Testes Limp Gawd

7. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

^ Hmm, I might have to testes that out. :D

8. Lizard Testes

Lizard Testes Limp Gawd

It depends where you've got your scaling set at but it's one way to get a little more control over things without changing everything at once.

9. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

This is good to hear.

10. kniff

kniff [H]Lite

Sorry if this has been asked before, but sometimes when i turn on my TV (Samsung JU7500) the text in Windows have a red-ish hue/outline around them, like a shadow of sorts. If i turn the TV off and on it's back to normal and text isn't weird anymore.

100% scale in WIndows and no other changes i'm aware of!

Thoughts?

11. thelead

thelead [H]ard|Gawd

Any way of getting the tv (ks8000) to consistently keep the PC in 'game mode'? Every time I restart the computer, it gets recognized as a PC and disables game mode.

12. dpoverlord

dpoverlord [H]ard|Gawd

I havent decided which mode I like better for gaming. I tend to keep it in PC mode, do you guys have a favorite mode? I am using the JS9000

13. Kdawg

Kdawg Limp Gawd

Does anyone else think Samsung 4k TV's are buggy as hell when connecting to PC?

I have hdmi 2.0 and gtx1060.

In my case, I have 2 brand new samsung 4k's which don't work on hdmi port #1. The whole screen glitches and goes blank nonstop, auto disconnecting/connecting repeatedly at 4k 60hz 4:4:4.

If I switch to hdmi #2 or #3, then it works for the most part. But as soon as the PC wakes up from standby mode, and I turn the TV back on, even these hdmi ports occasionally blank out for a second. And it's not the cable; I even tried ripoff Monstercables.

14. Nenu

Nenu Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Get an HDMI cable with higher bandwidth.
    Even high quality cables have bad examples.
    Your problem looks like classic not enough bandwidth.

15. dpoverlord

dpoverlord [H]ard|Gawd

I got a high bandwith HDMI cable and it solved my problem.

16. Kdawg

Kdawg Limp Gawd

The monster cables were 18gbps, and 4k 60hz 4:4:4 worked on hdmi #2 and #3.
    Not sure why hdmi #1 glitched out so severely on both units

17. Nenu

Nenu Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Not all connections+circuits are as good as the best, just the way it is.
    When on the limits of bandwidth a slightly worse connection/cct can produce problems.
    And not all cables run at their rated spec even though they apply a specific number to it.

If you are having problems that look like lack of bandwidth, it most likely is.
    When the only thing you can do about it is change the cable (unless you dont mind dropping the quality), try another good quality cable.
    The longer the cable the more likely it will have problems so keep it as short as you can.

18. SilverSliver

SilverSliver [H]ardForum Junkie

I have a JU6700. When will upgraded 40+ inch curved displays hit the market? Itching to get a new display, addicted to the curve now. Seems like curved sets in that size, <49", are disappearing.

19. alaricljs

alaricljs Limp Gawd

The problem is the curve only really benefits near-field viewing which is great for sitting at a desk but is far from the primary market these TVs are aimed at. The curve was basically a marketing gimmick that they threw at the wall. If it sold well enough I'm sure they'd be making far more than they are now.

20. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Yeah, I agree.

The curve is great when using g these as monitors and sitting 2 ft away from a 40-48" screen.

99.99% of the people who buy these TV's will never do this. They look at these things from across the room, where the curve is more of a problem than it is a benefit.

Thus, the lowest common denominator users mess everything up for the enthusiast, yet again.

21. SilverSliver

I just don't get why there is not a higher end but not stupid expensive segment of actual computer monitors that are 4k, large format curved screens with decent response time given the TV counterparts. There are medium format curved screens in the UWHD format, smaller 120hz curved screens, but nothing really at the 40+ range.

22. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

And that's why I've stuck with my JS9000. Everything is a compromise. I want 4K 120 Hz with low input lag and good response time. Don't even care if it's VA or IPS. Unless something like that comes out, it's OLED for me next.

23. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Pick your own.....you deserve it.

OLED to me always is on the horizon. Something I want, but have to wait for the links to be ironed out. First it was input lag, but that is much better now than it once was.

Now it is image retention...

24. SilverSliver

I think I may try a 35 inch ultrawide g-sync monitor next, like the Asus PG35VQ next.