2015 Samsung 40" UHD 4k Display HDMI 2.0 $699 Best Buy

SixFootDuo

Supreme [H]ardness
Last edited:
Why would a TV ever have displayport? :confused:

1 No royalties.
2. 32.4 Gbps vs 18 Gbps bandwidth for HDMI 2.0
3. Can handle 8K or two simultaneous 4K streams.

Oh, did I mention cheaper due to no royalties?

I am replacing my XB270HU for a 49UB8500 this week. Its in the mail :) Gotta put these 2 Titan X's to work!

1 No royalties.
2. 32.4 Gbps vs 18 Gbps bandwidth for HDMI 2.0
3. Can handle 8K or two simultaneous 4K streams.

Oh, did I mention cheaper due to no royalties?

Alright. Well do any of the consoles, bluray players, audio receivers support displayport?

I am holding off because I'm inclined to believe this thing will go even lower. It's still relatively new and Best Buy has already had it for this price for two weeks in a row.

I also read that there is a significant PQ difference between this and the higher-end models, though all of the different models available is really pissing me off.

LOL most of the people in this thread have no clue. That Samsung thread is so large because these make amazing PC monitors and double as killer 4K TVs.

First, Sunin, the TV you linked is a 2014 model and is a refurb. Yes it's larger and slightly cheaper but older sets are always discounted. Even more so if they're refurbs. For computer use, I believe the HU series was inferior to the JU series mentioned in the OP due to lack of proper 4:4:4 support (either couldn't do 4:4:4 or couldn't do it at 60Hz; can't remember, but that's why the 2015 sets were such a big deal this year). For TV use, yours is probably fine.

Also, HDMI 2.0 is more than fine for 4K at 60Hz. Anyone with an nVidia 9xx series card or Titan X will have the best experience vs. AMD or older nVidia cards due to lack of HDMI 2.0, so that's something to keep in mind. DisplayPort is not missed here at all if you have a newer nVidia card. For those who don't, move along, no need to trash this display because you can't use it. There are dozens of us enjoying the hell out of them.

wiseoracle is indeed wise, and xp3nd4bl3 yes this thing is a killer desktop monitor! I actually have the 48" version of the JS9000, but I had the 40" curved equivalent of the one in the OP and it was amazing as well. Totally recommended since you have a 980Ti. I don't think I can ever go smaller than 40" again, 4K gaming is amazing and so immersive on a monitor like this.

Megalith the price on this may indeed drop even further in a week or 6 months, who knows, that's always a possibility with anything tech. There is an image quality difference between the lines but for $700 the one in the OP is an incredible value and so much better than a 34" 21:9 ultrawide or a smaller 4K monitor. And it can double as a great 4K TV if you move on to another monitor in upcoming years.

That thread is massive, so imyourzero, if you don't mind the questions, I have 2 Seiki 40" 4K monitors on my desk and I love the screen real-esate (all work, no play sadly) but the input lag is crazy annoying. There is a very noticeable delay when I'm moving the mouse, and it leads to miss-clicks all the time unless I'm careful. Is the input lag on these Samsung TVs comparable to what I'm used to with a computer monitor?

That thread is massive, so imyourzero, if you don't mind the questions, I have 2 Seiki 40" 4K monitors on my desk and I love the screen real-esate (all work, no play sadly) but the input lag is crazy annoying. There is a very noticeable delay when I'm moving the mouse, and it leads to miss-clicks all the time unless I'm careful. Is the input lag on these Samsung TVs comparable to what I'm used to with a computer monitor?

I'm not sure what the input lag on the Seiki is, but I can say with certainty that in Game mode (where most of the extra TV processing gets disabled), these feel every bit as responsive as a dedicated PC monitor. Probably not quite as blistering fast as say, a 144Hz TN niche gaming display that's built for speed as priority #1, but for reference my last 3 monitors were the Dell U3415W, the LG 34UM94, and the BenQ BL3200PT...and the cursor in Game mode feels every bit as crisp and responsive as I'm used to.

To be clear, I'm not saying that it's either "Go Samsung or go home." There are other choices, like the Philips BDM4065UC that you may have already considered.

But the Samsungs are excellent overall if your card supports HDMI 2.0, and if one wants a curved screen or larger than 40" then those factors automatically rule out the Seiki and Philips as possible options. No need for anyone to come in on the hate wagon just because these don't fit their needs. And if anyone is coming and looking at the size/price ratio and comparing it to other 4K TVs for TV duty, then they're already barking up the wrong tree. The reason these are special is because out of all of the major TV manufacturers (LG, Panasonic, Sony, etc.), these excelled for use with PCs where the experience has typically been lacking in the past due to high input lag or lack of proper chroma 4:4:4 subsampling.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
First, Sunin, the TV you linked is a 2014 model and is a refurb. Yes it's larger and slightly cheaper but older sets are always discounted. Even more so if they're refurbs. For computer use, I believe the HU series was inferior to the JU series mentioned in the OP due to lack of proper 4:4:4 support (either couldn't do 4:4:4 or couldn't do it at 60Hz; can't remember, but that's why the 2015 sets were such a big deal this year). For TV use, yours is probably fine.

Ok so let's get a few facts straight.
1. HDMI port 3 is 2.0
2. It can do 4:4:4 on this port
3. It can do 60 hz on this port at those settings I have my computer hooked to it and it does fine

Yes it's a refurb last year model but look at the comparison and I'm getting twice as much and I've had great luck with refurbs. From my roku to this tv it has been amazing at 4k!!!

But it isn't a deal...

Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889354956
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40JU6500-40-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B00TWFHDAO

That's basically MSRP. Maybe a deal for Best Buy pricing as they usually gouge on things like this so it looks like a deal when they price it how it's normally priced at.

True, but many people like the idea of physically seeing or using a TV before buying sight unseen. Plus the convenience of having a local return option is more appealing as well. So when best buy has it for $100 more generally yes this is a deal.

Unless something has changed the Hu series was unable to do 4:4:4 on any of the hdmi ports. Regardless if it was in uhd mode or not. Ended up taking the TV back due to that as well as some other issues.

If this has been changed or fixed than I apologize but the ju series has been excellent as a monitor and just works out of the box.

For exclusive gaming, I wouldn't use anything without 144 Hz and G-Sync. Using a Swift now and the benefit is significant. For TV, I'm still using an LED DLP because no chance of burn in and all I watch is 1080p rips.

I know the thread is huge but there is a reason why its huge.

Read it and I am pretty sure you will buy it. It makes an excellent gaming display. Not only that, excellent build quality, performance, picture quality, etc etc etc.

Give it a read

But it isn't a deal...

Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889354956
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40JU6500-40-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B00TWFHDAO

That's basically MSRP. Maybe a deal for Best Buy pricing as they usually gouge on things like this so it looks like a deal when they price it how it's normally priced at.

I don't know when Best Buy reduced their price, but MSRP is not the current selling price and in this case the price cratered on June 7th, which just happens to be a Sunday, which just happens to be the day that BBY puts out their ads. It's possible that everyone is just price matching Best Buy. Regardless, it's clear that prior to June 7th, Amazon charged a lot more for this TV.
amazon.png

but for reference my last 3 monitors were the Dell U3415W, the LG 34UM94, and the BenQ BL3200PT...and the cursor in Game mode feels every bit as crisp and responsive as I'm used to.

curious why you landed on the 40" 4k after having all those monitors?

I have also had all of the monitors. the benq felt like there was too much vertical space and not enough horizontal. I loved the LG and Dell, but I just preferred the Dell so I sent back the LG.

Not so wise oracle... :)

No.... it's a legitimate question. Do consumers go to best buy asking if any of these TV's have display port?

Do any of their audio/video devices use displayport? NO. None of them do. So why would a TV manufacture start putting them in? Because a few people want to hook their PC's to it? :rolleyes:

You guys may not like HDMI, but it's the mainstream connector for AV devices. If all AV devices had DP, I wouldn't even be asking about it.

Not saying it would be a bad thing to include it, but you have to think of it as the point of view of the manufacture.

Input delay will destroy it.......

From what I have read, if you turn off up-conversion form 1080p to 4k, and actually run the game at native 4k from the PC to the TV in "Game mode", the input lag is significantly reduced. I get my 49UB8500 in a few days, I will test this out. Going from a XB270HU, I will be the best candidate for this test ;)

No the input lag is very low. It's excellent. Don't take my word for it, read the huge thread. it's massive or a reason guys.

Game latency is around 20 ms and PC Mode is around 36ms.

Last edited:
I picked up the 40" 40JU6700 curved version of this tv earlier today at fry's for 597 with them paying the sales tax as well, and I really like it so far.
Input lag is not noticeable to me*, it feels no different than playing on the Monoprice crystal pro 4k I also have.

*I'm not sure if the the monoprice 4k had lag though, but I dont really notice any - could just be getting old ;)

4k netflix looks pretty amazing on this though.

I picked up the 40" 40JU6700 curved version of this tv earlier today at fry's for 597 with them paying the sales tax as well, and I really like it so far.
Input lag is not noticeable to me*, it feels no different than playing on the Monoprice crystal pro 4k I also have.

*I'm not sure if the the monoprice 4k had lag though, but I dont really notice any - could just be getting old ;)

4k netflix looks pretty amazing on this though.

How did you get it so cheap?

That's a smoking price. Wow ... 40" curved 4k for $597

This is exactly why HDMI 2.0 is so very important.

You're not the only one that cannot feel / see lag. That's because the latency is excellent.

How did you get it so cheap?

It was a frys Saturday promo code - you know, the trusted name brand 4k for 597, call for details type of ad. They have an LG 55" today, but don't know the details, you have to call or go into the store to see exactly what it is.
I have been finding decent deals with their promo codes lately.

[QUOTE=Briguyatx;1041697090]It was a frys Saturday promo code - you know, the trusted name brand 4k for 597, call for details type of ad. They have an LG 55" today, but don't know the details, you have to call or go into the store to see exactly what it is.
I have been finding decent deals with their promo codes lately.[/QUOTE]

Damn, now that is a smoking deal. I'm waiting on a deal on that model, I really want the curved screen since I'll be sitting closer using it as a monitor.

Back