2015 mbp 13" or 2017 mbp 13"

iRUSH

Gawd
EDIT: I originally bought the 2017 13" MBP. It ran HOT and the keyboard clicked once the laptop heated up. Google that, it's an issue with the 2016 and 2017 models. Not all, but some. I returned it for the 2015 and this is a much better laptop between the two. Aside from the clicking which I would forgive once fixed, the 2015 runs cool thanks to it having a much better intake and exhaust. Obviously slightly bigger helps. I like the keyboard better (clicking issue aside) and of course not having to deal with "dongle hell" is icing on the cake.

Original post below

MC has a great sale on these two. Both new and not referbs.

The advantage of the 2015 is that is $100 less at $999 and have all of the ports.

The 2017 is $1099, kabylake and better in nearly every way except only having two USB C ports (non touchbar).

I'm leaning towards the 2017. But I wanted to check here in case someone had a better reason to get the older unit.

Last edited:
How do you plan to use the machine? Does this use require the ports?

I'd get the most recent iteration. I'm disappointed they dropped MagSafe but the rest, like you said, is improved.

I plan on making this my main machine. Besides the normal everyday usage it'll make vlogs too. Likely end up running Final Cut.

It would be much easier to connect the Yeti mic and external webcam on the 2015. But I know the 2017 is better generally, except in that department.

2017 has an disadvantage of no ports. That can easily be overcome with the right adapter. I liked the footprint of the 13" 2017. Definitely feels more portable. Plus being able to charge via a battery bank is convenient. Allows me to do work anywhere and not have to worry if I run low on power since I can charge off my battery bank.

I had the 2017 and found it HOT, loud of course and the keys clicked when the laptop was hot. The latter is an actual problem with the 2016 and 17 MBP, look it up.

I ended up going for the 2015 and couldn't be happier. The chassis has a far better ventilation solution too.

iRush... If Final Cut is in your future, get a Kaby Lake/2017 version. Intel added H.265 and VP9 natively to the chip. Speeds encodes and makes decodes use a fraction of the CPU. With Final Cut, you will end up saving a good chunk of time. The SSD speed is much faster too, which will also assist in video editing.

I think the 2015 has the higher powered CPU (35W?) versus the low powered one in the non-touch bar 2017 MBPr.

MC has a great sale on these two. Both new and not referbs.

The advantage of the 2015 is that is $100 less at $999 and have all of the ports.

The 2017 is $1099, kabylake and better in nearly every way except only having two USB C ports (non touchbar).

I'm leaning towards the 2017. But I wanted to check here in case someone had a better reason to get the older unit.

2017 form factor is great. You want that one.

I was just debating upgrading my 2012 13" rMBP. Was on the fence with the new 13" (non touch bar version). Ended up grabbing a 2014 15" rMBP for $700 on CL, great deal (I'm a cheap bastard with laptops). I had the 12" when it came out in 2015. I wasn't a huge fan of the butterfly switches (I didn't hate them though, far from it) on that, and the ones on the 13" felt very similar (read that it's ever so slightly deeper of a travel). I also wasn't really sold on the 2 port bullshit, and not a fan of dongles, so there's that.

Back