2014 Had Worst Decline in Tech Jobs Since 2009

HardOCP News

[H] News
I knew things were bad in the tech industry last year but I didn't know they were this bad. :(

The tech sector may be a growing segment of the economy, but 2014 was the worst year for job cuts in the technology sector since 2009, according to a new report from Challenger, Gray and Christmas, an outplacement firm that helps people find new jobs after they’ve been let go.

I think there's actually growth planet wide, just that everyone is outsourcing like crazy.

Yep. Why hire someone at 95k here in the US when you can hire someone for 27k in India. And the average worker is more productive now than at any time in history. Which means less workers are required to create the most work output ever.

It's kind of scary actually. Record profits and job shrinkage going hand in hand...

Yep. Why hire someone at 95k here in the US when you can hire someone for 27k in India. And the average worker is more productive now than at any time in history. Which means less workers are required to create the most work output ever.

It's kind of scary actually. Record profits and job shrinkage going hand in hand...

Except in government... I'm surprised that hasn't been outsourced yet too :rolleyes:

I don't actually know that it is outsourcing so much as so many tech monoliths going through massive realignments. HP, AMD, eBay, all cut jobs in preparation of major company shifts. Also, I don't know if it is fair to include call centers in the tech industry; the ability to read a flowchart should not qualify as "tech" work.

Asian guy was the smartest of the lot.... This type of game makes people do violent things....

This is the on reason I have never worked in the "tech" industry. People are disposable in the tech industry.

As somebody in the tech industry I can say w/o a doubt, offshoring is bad. Very bad. Nothing against engineers in low cost centers, but their management usually sucks. Also people move jobs too often in those countries. So you get half ass work being done.

I know of a couple companies that have shut down such sites overseas because of numerous issues.

Now in terms of the tech industry downsizing, all I see are job postings here in Austin. Not sure about elsewhere, but there is plenty of hiring. Maybe they are firing else where though. I have no plans to change jobs, but if I did, I don't think I would have a problem.

As somebody in the tech industry I can say w/o a doubt, offshoring is bad. Very bad. Nothing against engineers in low cost centers, but their management usually sucks. Also people move jobs too often in those countries. So you get half ass work being done.

I know of a couple companies that have shut down such sites overseas because of numerous issues.

Now in terms of the tech industry downsizing, all I see are job postings here in Austin. Not sure about elsewhere, but there is plenty of hiring. Maybe they are firing else where though. I have no plans to change jobs, but if I did, I don't think I would have a problem.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

In tech we continue to see these cycles were companies outsource and then bring it back in house after it either doesn't work out or becomes more costly than doing it internally.

It seems to be an never ending cycle by different generations of management.

Please, tell me what industry has indispensable workers?

Who said anything about indispensable? Disposable people are a hallmark of the tech industry. Shift focus? rather than move people internally and retrain, fire them all and hire new people. Want your job back? Reapply but you will start over. It allows you to pay people less than if you kept them on. I have quite a few friends stuck in this loop.

If you are not aware of this reality, you are either very young or not paying any attention.

I feel like the title is a double negative. Maybe "2014 had the largest decline..."

But from what I see, things are still good for IT workers.

This pretty much sums up the modern economy, not just the tech sector.

Who said anything about indispensable?

The opposite of disposable would be indispensable. So you did. By saying you only work in an industry opposite of industry's with disposable workers. Why I even have to explain this is beyond me. On top of that every worker is disposable so your statement is just out there.

Disposable people are a hallmark of the tech industry. Shift focus? rather than move people internally and retrain, fire them all and hire new people. Want your job back? Reapply but you will start over. It allows you to pay people less than if you kept them on. I have quite a few friends stuck in this loop.
I think this happens in all industry's at times but It happened to a few of your friends (anecdotal evidence) so it happened to everyone else as well. Yeah, it's just me that doesn't get it.

If you are not aware of this reality, you are either very young or not paying any attention.
Most of the jobs the entire US economy lost in the last 10-30 years were high paying highly skilled manufacturing jobs, they were replaced with mostly low paying low skilled jobs. My point: It's not just the 'Tech Industry'.

The more IT has to deal with Google's devaluation of IT labor with their exploitive free labor and "free" services model the more jobs will be lost from it.

Not surprised by this at all. The company I work for has reduced its IT staff by almost 30% in the last 2 years, albeit in a "quiet" manner to avoid bad PR.

Meanwhile they continue to ramp up the work, don't give raises, don't give promotions. If you complain they will just find a reason to remove you and replace with someone else. Or they just don't replace you at all expect your co-worker to work even harder.

It is quite sad to watch my dream job devolve into this, but these days everything is about profits and not about people...

Nothing in that blurb points a finger at outsourcing. Its the fact the economy sucked in 2009 and still sucks. In fact that suckage is as much the reason people seek outsourcing as anything else.

I see this as less about outsourcing and more about large USA corporations that have had difficulty keeping up with technology changes or market shifts ... the global marketplace in computers and electronics is brutal and HP, Microsoft, and others have had difficulty adjusting and keeping up with the market demands, especially against more nimble Asian competitors ... the Intel and Cisco side is more about the shift towards mobility I suspect ... American businesses need to really start stepping up and thinking different (as the phrase goes) ... we live in a competitive world and companies with good ideas, innovative products, and nimble business strategies will tend to succeed, while companies that are lacking in those areas will not or will struggle competitively (forcing layoffs or closures) ;)

Back