2013 PC Gamer Top 100 (of all time)

Oblivion is way down at 73 and Skyrim is numero uno. Is Skyrim really that much better than Oblivion?

I'm not a huge fan of either one, but they play pretty similar to me. That is a huge spread, 73 to 1. They should be within 5 or 10 places of one another imo.

Can't believe Max Payne 2 made it on the list but the original Max Payne didn't...

CS:GO was the only version of CS to make it as well, not sure how I feel about that (having never played CS:GO myself)

PC gamers best games of all time written by a guy who started playing games in 2010!

At least that almost makes sense right?

defineitly a joke. Doom, quake, Unreal tournament and half life should be way higher on that list. Maybe not the best games of all time, but they did influence the industrey in lots of ways. Hell most of the top games wouldnt be here without them.

For my money, Morrowind + expansions was better than Oblivion and Skyrim combined, I have no idea why they would list Skyrim as #1 and expect that to be a legit list.

Heck out of their top 5, I would say that only Half Life 2 deserves to be in there.

I hope the HL2 part is a joke. Generic Gameplay. Story that goes no where. I'm sorry but that series is BEYOND overrated.

terrible list. they should be ashamed. wtf is bioshock infinite doing so high up? and, and,...........im just gonna leave this thread alone now.

I like Top games of all-time lists that go off the beaten path...I like to see creative choices rather then the same ole usual lists...that being said...Far Cry 2 at #54?...Skyrim #1 but Morrowind #93??...the author of that article must be like 17 years old

Last edited:
Seems like the current popularity of the game decides the final result. That's probably how you got D3 > D2. Although games like D2 and Morrowind were great, they aren't played as much today.

Of course that's totally the wrong approach to a list that was supposed to be top games of all time. They should call it a 2013 popularity contest.

Master of Orion 1 or 2 makes most gamers' top ten list.

98. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (PC Gamer gave that a 55%)

I like the Deus EX original and HR respect... I'd swap the rankings for Half-Life 2 and 1... Mass Effect 3, Diablo 2, Fallout 1 and 2, The Longest Journey deserved to be ranked.

And how many of them were space sims?

Doesn't matter. Anyway, next year, 50% of those games will be gone to be replaced with newer "greatest games ever".

The problem is, you're just hitting the time where you're OLD. Sorry, but it happens to all of us. Games which you considered awesome aren't even in the lexicon of the target audience. And herein lies another problem. If you try giving these games to the target audience, they'll find the games to be horrible.

Rollercoaster Tycoon is on this list? And it's before Borderlands 2 and Half-Life??? :confused::mad:

abload-stfu-and-gtfoxspi.jpg

What the fuck? Mass Effect 2 besting HL2?! Jesus..Makes me sad to think I used to get so excited when a new issue of PCgamer got sent to the house. Good old days are fucking gone man. Nothing but fucking DLC, DRM,micro transacitons and console faggotry now.

This cannot be a list made by someone over the age of 21, too many recent games to be honest I stopped reading after number 20 because any older gamers list would be completely different. Of ALL TIME obviously doesn't have the same meaning to the author of this horrible ass list.

P.S. Minesweeper would be on my list because it was one of the first Windows included games everyone played with....

PCGamer like all the other magazine and PC outlets from the 90's, have lost their credibility along time ago.

Mass Effect/Elder Scrolls are good titles, but #2 and #1? That's a little bit of an overstatement. Any game in the Top 100 should be considered highly worthy, but those Top 10 are best to avoid putting numbers next to unless you have another 10 to immediately give a runners up for that position. In effect making the Top 20 really a Top 10 in my book anytime I see these lists.

Voodoo math FTW. Even then taking a second look most of those in the Top 20 are fairly recent games with sequels.

/nm on second thought that list is just garbage

P.S. Minesweeper would be on my list because it was one of the first Windows included games everyone played with....
But is it a good game? I don't think it is, really. Windows Solitaire trounces it on a visual, audio and metagame level.

On the subject of Morrowind/Skyrim...I'm not actually completely convinced Morrowind is the better game. It has a deeper RPG aspect, a better UI and a more interesting aesthetic, but Skyrim has more rewarding action-oriented combat, better audio, a better stealth component and a significantly better overall feel. I'd also argue that Skyrim presents its narrative better than Morrowind presented its. Morrowind's was much more interesting, but it wasn't presented in an engaging way.

If you cut through the nostalgia, Skyrim does seem to fare quite a bit better.

No Final Fantasy 7? What.

I also thought Tie Fighter should have been on the list but maybe that didn't reach a wide enough audience.

How is PCGamer still around when all other publications have pretty much closed up shop?

How high are you?

Far Cry... 2.

10-guy-how-high-are-you-yes.jpg

Lol I didnt even see that WTF

Master of Orion 1 or 2 makes most gamers' top ten list.

98. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (PC Gamer gave that a 55%)

Actually I have a friend whos a big fan of it. Says its one of those really good but flawed games. Dont ever trust metacritic because technically morrowind should have gotten a 0/100 when it came out. The ingame healthbars were broken and it was unplayable until patched. Some games get benefit of post release review corrections and some don't.

But is it a good game? I don't think it is, really. Windows Solitaire trounces it on a visual, audio and metagame level.

On the subject of Morrowind/Skyrim...I'm not actually completely convinced Morrowind is the better game. It has a deeper RPG aspect, a better UI and a more interesting aesthetic, but Skyrim has more rewarding action-oriented combat, better audio, a better stealth component and a significantly better overall feel. I'd also argue that Skyrim presents its narrative better than Morrowind presented its. Morrowind's was much more interesting, but it wasn't presented in an engaging way.

If you cut through the nostalgia, Skyrim does seem to fare quite a bit better.

Presentation of narrative being engaging is entirely subjective. I couldn't force myself to be interested in any of the narrative in Skyrim. The rest of your comparison comes from a decade of engine technology and processing horsepower.

Regardless of how well it is liked, I doubt many people would say it is the best game of all time.

don't they just do a poll among all the editors/staff at pc gamer, or something like that?

wow....I'm guessing they are trolling or something because how else could list list have been made.

# 85. Peggle

Sure Peggle is a good game....but it beat Battlefield 2 and Diablo 2. I can only assume because BF3 and D3 made the list they excluded the previous versions....except for the fact they have StarCraft and StarCraft 2 but no Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3.....infact Warcraft 3 shit out DOTA which is on the list.

.......................Our site needs some hits someone shit out a top 100 PC games list.

wow....I'm guessing they are trolling or something because how else could list list have been made.

# 85. Peggle

Sure Peggle is a good game....but it beat Battlefield 2 and Diablo 2. I can only assume because BF3 and D3 made the list they excluded the previous versions....except for the fact they have StarCraft and StarCraft 2 but no Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3.....infact Warcraft 3 shit out DOTA which is on the list.

.......................Our site needs some hits someone shit out a top 100 PC games list.

Im amazed bf1942 didn't make the list.

Worst list ever.

I must be getting old, not seeing games like these on the list:

X-Wing
X-Com (original)
Ultima IV
Ultima Underworld
Falcon 3 or 4
SU-27 Flanker
Chuck Yeager's Advanced Air Combat
Freelancer
Wing Commander 1/2/3/4
Wing Commander Privateer
Jedi Knight II
Duke Nukem 3D
Ultima Online
Battlefield 1942

and so many more that should be on that list...

They qualified their list by saying also what would run on modern hardware with a modern OS. So, there's that.

That being said, it looks like they were running out of games so they had to include certain ones.

They qualified their list by saying also what would run on modern hardware with a modern OS. So, there's that.

That being said, it looks like they were running out of games so they had to include certain ones.

I don't really know of any games that can't be made to run on a modern PC.

Obviously they've never heard of DOSBox or D-Fend... yet another fail.

I'd be willing to bet that most of the young'ns working there don't even know what a boot-disk is or have even read the words autoexec.bat, let alone had to ever go through the process of making one...

Back