2013 PC Gamer Top 100 (of all time)

i like PCGamer but some of these are strange picks.. CS:GO shouldnt be on the list at all IMO haha

a lot of people like that game dude. you just a bandwagon hard member that hates on it cause he feels like he should? its significantly better now.

A lot of people like it? Maybe.

A lot more people don't like it, though. And it certainly wasn't better than Diablo 2, which is absent from the list.

It's also strange that PC GOTY '99 (Homeworld) also didn't make the list.

STALKER:Call of Pripyat???
Sigh...
Shadow of Chernobyl is one of the pinnacles of PC gaming.
Can you think of a better TRUE pc only fps in the last six years?

I guess I should just be happy they included any Stalker game.

i noticed that as well. stalker at leased for me has been the best sp fps in at least the last 10 years. though i know its not too popular, it just has a fanatical cult following.

i also think to the moon should have been on the list. Ya the graphics suck but the story is truly great. and 95 for hotline Miami is just insulting.

Wow, there's some HUGE games missing on this list.

No Gabriel Knight (one of the biggest adventure franchises of all time which had the unique distincition for each game in the series being in a different medium, the first one a classic 2d adventure game, the second one a FMV based adventure, then the 3rd one being a full 3d adventure).

No Ultima Online
No Everquest
No Asheron's Call
How the HELL are you going to have none of these first gen mmorpgs on a top 100 list? Seriously?

No Longest journey or Syberia (at a time when people said "Advneture games are dead both of these games proved them wrong, even coming to consoles and selling well).

No Alone in the Dark (grandfather of the Survival horror genre, even if it wasn't hte "first" one it's the survival horror game that put survival horror on the map, without it we'd likely have never saw Resident Evil or Silent Hill)

No Carmageddon? Interstate 76? These games basically started the whole "vehicle combat" genre. Yet both of them are missing.

To me this list seems like it's written by someone who was born in the 90's and never played PC games in the 80's-late 90's era and merely cherry picked some "popular old" games from a list and left out of a shit ton of very important games.

Ultima! those series were my favorite games. I doubt anyone would know of savage empire. fun games.

This list is soooooooooooooo messed up.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I MISS Computer Gaming World (aka CGW).

Straight up.

Sigh...

Well Pripyat is the most polished of the series, that's probably why. SoC was pretty awful when it came out with performance/bugs.

Well Pripyat is the most polished of the series, that's probably why. SoC was pretty awful when it came out with performance/bugs.

every one says this but i never noticed this/or it never bothered me. and i got it very close to launch.

every one says this but i never noticed this/or it never bothered me. and i got it very close to launch.

Well I never noticed the problems with Clear Sky either when I got it close to launch, but when I tried it a couple of months ago I noticed some of the bugs that actually kinda ruined certain parts for me. Not everyone gets problems with these games, but many did.

In Pripyat the only problems began when you added mods oddly enough, the Complete mod was buggier than the stock game which was pretty impressive for a STALKER game.

Aside from all the other comments;

How left 4 dead 2 made top 10, and over the first one is a complete bollucks move, 1 was waaaaay better than 2 and it definitely didn't deserve TOP 10.

Also, Diablo 3, I know it was touched on, but how it managed to beat 2 or 1 is completely BULL CRAP, 2 was the best in total and actually should have been in TOP 10.

StarCraft 2 WAS NOT BETTER than StarCraft or BroodWar

Planescape Torment should have been in TOP 10 as well as Icewind Dale and Baulders Gate, Diablo 2.

Where the hell is Wing Commander

Civilization 5 should only be listed with expansion Brave New World

Unreal Tournament 2004? WHERE IS UT'99?

Sigh...

CoP was a great game,and benefited from improvements to the engine,but you're right,SoC was an epic game that is number one on any list. No other game comes close to the immersive open world gameplay it has.

I just found this thread... but WOW.

Obviously everyone is different, but Skyrim as #1. PLEASE!

WoW should be first. Its the best game of all time (IMO of course) based on fun, influence, longevity, etc... Also, BF3 is WAY too low, Civ 5 is too low, ugh. I could go on and on. This list is so stupid.

I just found this thread... but WOW.

Obviously everyone is different, but Skyrim as #1. PLEASE!

WoW should be first. Its the best game of all time (IMO of course) based on fun, influence, longevity, etc... Also, BF3 is WAY too low, Civ 5 is too low, ugh. I could go on and on. This list is so stupid.

Agreed that the order is bunk (imo) etc. but WOW was a mimicking of prior MMO's, dumbed down for accessibility quickly and continuously, until its present form where it's little more than a graphical chatroom in terms of gameplay depth and difficulty. Just my two cents, and in truth you're probably right due to its influence & longevity ;), I'd put DAOC, UO, or for a more comparable modern game, Rift, above WOW. Needless to say, though, I think the list is far too skewed to newer/"popular" titles rather than "best" titles.

Agreed that the order is bunk (imo) etc. but WOW was a mimicking of prior MMO's, dumbed down for accessibility quickly and continuously, until its present form where it's little more than a graphical chatroom in terms of gameplay depth and difficulty. Just my two cents, and in truth you're probably right due to its influence & longevity ;), I'd put DAOC, UO, or for a more comparable modern game, Rift, above WOW. Needless to say, though, I think the list is far too skewed to newer/"popular" titles rather than "best" titles.

Actually, I agree with everything you said about WoW and I still think it should be first on the list. I haven't played since Cata came out (fuck I hated that expansion) but, I did play it off and on since beta. There were times I hated the game, and I always came back (except for quitting during Cata). Every MMO I've played since seemed to be trying to be like WoW instead of EQ or DAoC. They made the genre's perfect game. You don't have to be first to be best :)

Even now, after like 2 years of not playing, I still feel the pull and occasionally try to get my friends to join up so we can "check out the new expansion" or "gank some bitches." It never works though. They don't want to get sucked back in. Anyway, I'm rambling but this list makes me think of old and fun times.

I'm really looking forward to reading through this thread and seeing everyone else's opinions of it too!

I didn't realize this thread had so many replies...no comments on the 1999 list? Admittedly there is some stuff on that list I've never heard of.

I stop putting any faith in their ratings when dragon age 2 got a 94% rating. Where have you all been?

I just use them for the podcast, the podcast is still good.

I just think it's funny that people are "outraged" at these lists...it's a list of 100 opinions. When is it that everyone agrees on ONE opinion, much less 100 ranked opinions?!

I still like these kinds of lists because every once in a while it reminds me of a game that others have enjoyed which I never played.

I just think it's funny that people are "outraged" at these lists...it's a list of 100 opinions. When is it that everyone agrees on ONE opinion, much less 100 ranked opinions?!

I still like these kinds of lists because every once in a while it reminds me of a game that others have enjoyed which I never played.

A magazine that has been around since the beginning of PC gaming making a list about the best games OF ALL TIME should actually include the entire history of pc gaming, and not the last 5 years as the majority. The uproar is that this is yet another sign that videogame / pc gaming journalism has been whored out and essentially dead.

Where the hell is Unreal Tournament? Or Redneck Rampage??

Also, these kinds of lists are stupid to begin with. No one can get away with a list like this

without getting raged at.

This list is so bad even Lucifer himself wouldn't want to set it on fire. My, how the mighty hath fallen.

This is their...OPINION. Don't see why everyone is going full-retard here, it's just what they think are the best games. We all have our own opinions, no need to get so crazy over someone else's.

Oh, I don't know. Maybe its because it is a horribly uninformed opinion by an organization that should know better AND be vastly better informed.

Its our opinion that this list sucks. What kills me is the bitching about us sharing our opinions on how bad it is while making the argument that its just their opinion... But hey logic is a hell of a thing.

Where the hell is Unreal Tournament? Or Redneck Rampage??

Also, these kinds of lists are stupid to begin with. No one can get away with a list like this

without getting raged at.

Agreed although I am going to have to throw out there Descent as well. 1st true 3d fps and was the beginning of modernizing online play.

If you feel that way that is your opinion. I personally see PC Gamer as just a magazine about PC Games. I don't see it as the definitive authority on the matter. I usually listen to like Rebel FM and look at Metacritic for my opinion on games.

Gaming journalism has nothing to do with PC gaming it has do with the fact pretty much everyone who games isn't reading magazines when they are already connected to the internet.

As far as the rest of that shit goes thats life, thats how the world works. If 100 people want to buy ice cream and 10 customers "really" care about their ice cream am I only going to create an ice cream flavor I can sell to 10 people or 10 percent of the customer base. Probably not. Same way with PC gaming, there is a lot more people who PC game today that are casual so the market adapts to that.

Yikes. So many easy targets. Lets just try one. The media. And it isn't restricted to gaming or PC gaming by ANY stretch. Laziness and incompetence are the two things the media specializes in. That and surviving by basically partnering with the people they are supposed to be covering. Wouldn't want to say something bad about CoD lest you offend the publisher and cost yourself revenue.

That is the very essence of why PC Gamer is a dinosaur that will soon be extinct like the rest of gaming magazines.

But Metacritic ? Oy.

No one's outraged here, sir....

I still die a little everytime I see someone say Infinite was good GAME. Story sure, but the game play itself sucked.

Whatever though, this list sucks anyways.

Its our opinion that this list sucks. What kills me is the bitching about us sharing our opinions on how bad it is while making the argument that its just their opinion... But hey logic is a hell of a thing.

Fair enough, it's your (or 'their') opinion that the list sucked. I just think it's a bit silly because this type of thread seems to occur every time there is another "top 100" or similar list that is released. What I'm highlighting is how impossible it is that their top 100 opinions would perfectly match anyone else's opinion. I'm not bitching, just trying to point out that it's tough to get bent out of shape about something like this. You're obviously 'allowed' to get bent out of shape, just seems like a waste of text somehow, given the odds of that top 100 matching your own.

Fair enough, it's your (or 'their') opinion that the list sucked. I just think it's a bit silly because this type of thread seems to occur every time there is another "top 100" or similar list that is released. What I'm highlighting is how impossible it is that their top 100 opinions would perfectly match anyone else's opinion. I'm not bitching, just trying to point out that it's tough to get bent out of shape about something like this. You're obviously 'allowed' to get bent out of shape, just seems like a waste of text somehow, given the odds of that top 100 matching your own.

And like others and myself has said a dozen times already. Nobody expects it to be 100% accurate but this list reeks of "Who paid the most advertising dollars + a few old to pretend at legitimacy"

Yeah, I always find it funny how these lists seem to contain a TON of games from like the past couple years like as if the NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX, N64, etc, etc didn't exist.

Back