2013 PC Gamer Top 100 (of all time)

Yeah I don't get the Armageddon rage over this either. This isn't PC Gamer saying "God has spoke to us and told us that these are the greatest 100 games of all time and anyone that dares disagree shall be drawn and quartered", this is them saying "these are our 100 favorite games".

I get disagreeing with the list and discussing where you think it's wrong but to storm the PC Gamer HQ with pitchforks amd torches talking about how the magazine isn't fit to line a bird cage anymore is just ridiculous and way over the top.

Jesus people get worked up over the stupidest shit.

Yeah I don't get the Armageddon rage over this either. This isn't PC Gamer saying "God has spoke to us and told us that these are the greatest 100 games of all time and anyone that dares disagree shall be drawn and quartered", this is them saying "these are our 100 favorite games".

I get disagreeing with the list and discussing where you think it's wrong but to storm the PC Gamer HQ with pitchforks amd torches talking about how the magazine isn't fit to line a bird cage anymore is just ridiculous and way over the top.

Jesus people get worked up over the stupidest shit.

These people run a magazine that to many represents PC gamers so yeah when a magazine called PC gamer comes up with a list thats absolutely fucking retarded PC gamers will be a little pissy...

I stopped my subscription to them about ~9/8 years ago when i felt they weren't really relevant. skyrim is #1 and dark souls #46 at this point they should just remove the gamer tag from the magazine.

No, people need to remember this is a publication not just some random guys opinion. People are going to pay money to read this shit and it is just awful.

Your opinion. Some may find it ok. Hardforum user's opinion != everyone else's opinion.

What the fuck? Mass Effect 2 besting HL2?! Jesus..Makes me sad to think I used to get so excited when a new issue of PCgamer got sent to the house. Good old days are fucking gone man. Nothing but fucking DLC, DRM,micro transacitons and console faggotry now.

I say this with utter confidence and no sarcasm. Mass Effect 2 is a superior game to Half Life 2 in every fucking way.

My cat has better taste then that guy no Ultima Online No Everquest No DAOC

Mass Effect 2 I wish I could throw that game in the Garbage...

75. Galactic Civilizations II
76. Full Throttle
77. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
78. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
79. Borderlands 2

pgWOuQ9.jpg

Just for those wondering, here is a Top 50 list from PC Gamer, from way back in 1998 !

50. The Operational Art of War - Talonssoft
49. Pro Pinball: Timeshock- Empire Interactive
48. You Don't Know jack Huge - Berkeley Systems
47. Tomb Raider -Eidos Interactive
46. FPS: Football - Sierra
45. Master of Orion - Microprose
44. Betrayal at Krondor - Sierra
43. Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far - Microsoft
42. Diablo - Blizzard Entertainment
41. Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis - LucasArts
40. Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe - Renegade
39. Tripple Play 97 - EA Sports
38. D/Generation - Mindscape
37. Ultima VII - Origin Systems
36. Starflight - Electronic Arts
35. Sim City 2000 - Maxis
34. Doom - ID Software
33. The Curse of Monkey Island - LucasArts
32. Might and Magic VI: The Madate of Heaven - 3DO
31. EF 2000 2.0 - DID
30. Worms 2 - Microprose
29. Duke Nukem 3D - 3D Realms
28. Quake - ID Software
27. Gabriel Knight: The Best Within - Sierra
26. Interstate'76 - Activision
25. Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon - Microprose
24. Beavis and Butt-head in Virtual Stupidity - Viacom
23. Chuck Yeager's Air Combat - Electronic Arts
22. Alone in the Dark - I-Motion
21. Lemmings - Psygnosis
20. Red Baron - Sierra
19. Myth - Bungie Entertainment
18. Ultima underworld I, II - Origin Systems
17. NHL 98 - EA Sports
16. Battlezone - Acivision
15. Panzer General II - SSI
14. Command and Conquer Red Alert - Westwood Studios
13. Unreal - Epic Megagames
12. Longbow 2 - Jane's Combat Simulations
11. Links LS '98 - Access Software
10. Sam and Max Hit the Road - LucasArts
9. Warcraft II - Blizzard Entertainment
8. X-Com: UFO Defense - Microprose
7. Heroes of Might and Magic II - New World Computing
6. System Shock - Origin
5. Starcraft - Blizzard Entertainment
4. TIE Fighter Collector's CD-ROM - LucasArts
3. Quake II - ID Software
2. Civilization II - MicroProse
1. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II - LucasArts

Edit: And here is 2005

> 1) Half Life
> 2) Doom
3 Civ 2
4 HL 2
5 Warcraft 2 (I see a pattern here)
6 Diablo
7 StarCraft
8 X-Com
9 BattleField
10 Fallout
11 Baldur's Gate
12 GTA 3
13 Star Wars Tie Fighter
14 Ghost Recon
15 Duke Nukem 3D
16 Diablo 2 (the twos are winning)
17 Command and Conquer
18 FarCry
19 Star Wars KotOR
20 Call of Duty
21 Star Wars Jedi Dark Forces 2 (the twos are lapping everyone)
22 Rainbow 6
23 The Sims
24 EverQuest
25 Heros of Might and Magic 3
26 Quake
27 Dues Ex
28 Need for Speed Porsche
29 SimCity 2000
30 Unreal Tournament 2004
31 Mechwarrior 2 (the twos are now celebrating in the end zone)
32 Ultima IV (what the heck is a 4 doing in here?)
33 Total Annihilation
35 Neverwinter Nights
36 Rise of Nation
37 Tomb Raider
38 Beavis & Butthead in Virtual Stupidity
39 System Shock 2 (every game should just come out with a 2 behind it)
40 IL2 Sturmovik
41 Max Payne
42 Panzer General
43 High Heat Baseball 2002
44 Master of Orion
45 Sam and Max hit the Road
46 HomeWorld
47 Worms Armageddon
48 Wing Cmdr 3
49 The Secret of Monkey Island
50 Freedom Force

Kinda cool that the Cthulhu game made it on there. I was all about it because I'm a Lovecraft nerd, but I didn't know anyone else gave it any attention.

WTF, PCG? Seriously go back to the dawn of PC gaming and gather a list of every game that has come out and make a real list...oh wait, your current target audience of 12-22 year olds wouldn't know what the fuck you were talking about. Now it makes sense that most of the list is comprised of games still available for purchase today.

Stopped reading PC Gamer when Greg Vedermen left, and for good reason. Oh yeah ,

Same for me. The Vede was the man and did wonders for that magazine.

I say this with utter confidence and no sarcasm. Mass Effect 2 is a superior game to Half Life 2 in every fucking way.

I agree with you. Aside from the graphics and physics engine I don't get what the fuck was so great about HL2.

These people run a magazine that to many represents PC gamers so yeah when a magazine called PC gamer comes up with a list thats absolutely fucking retarded PC gamers will be a little pissy...

I disagree. This is totally, 100% subjective and you'll have as many different Top 100 lists as you will have PC gamers. Hell the 3 Mass Effect and the 2 Batman games make up half my personal top 10. I'm sure yours would be different. Like I said, nothing wrong with talking about where it's wrong but saying the magazine is shit now because their Top 100 is different from yours is over the top. Unless Rage and Duke Nukem Forever are #1 and #2, I don't see any reason for the calls of malpractice. I still read the magazine isn't amd their website and like them both and creep around their forum pretty regular too. I think they're still a good read.

It isn't retarded there are some good games in there and people forget that gaming is completely generational. You are first off talking about a subjective list by an writer or list of writers that might just be fresh out of college selling magazines to a generation that might not even know what the fuck Windows 95 is.

I doubt anyone is going to cancel their subs because they disagree with this list, but someone might pick up the magazine because of the headline, even if it is misleading in Hardforum's eyes.

To me that is a win-win.

This is the whole problem with PC Gaming in my opinion. PC Gamers are fucking elitists.

It isn't retarded there are some good games in there and people forget that gaming is completely generational. You are first off talking about a subjective list by an writer or list of writers that might just be fresh out of college selling magazines to a generation that might not even know what the fuck Windows 95 is.

I doubt anyone is going to cancel their subs because they disagree with this list, but someone might pick up the magazine because of the headline, even if it is misleading in Hardforum's eyes.

To me that is a win-win.

This is the whole problem with PC Gaming in my opinion. PC Gamers are fucking elitists.

Nah, there are quite a few really good games on there. Probably most of them. I think the real issue is that the ranking seems rather arbitrary. It seems that the list was generated to appeal to several demographics rather than reflect the actual opinions of the magazine. I'd be willing to bet that none of them even played a few of the games on their list :p

Plus, it isn't elitist. We just happen to be better at everything, jeez.

Nah, there are quite a few really good games on there. Probably most of them. I think the real issue is that the ranking seems rather arbitrary. It seems that the list was generated to appeal to several demographics rather than reflect the actual opinions of the magazine. I'd be willing to bet that none of them even played a few of the games on their list :p

Plus, it isn't elitist. We just happen to be better at everything, jeez.

Probably not but that doesn't matter when it is generating all this buzz. The problem is our predispositions to lists.

Its like every website has a top 10 this or that bullshit and they make bank because the list has like 20 pages and ads on everyone.

People read PC gaming because of their reviews. If the reviewers are not able to remain objective and fair, then there's no reason why anyone should trust them.

It's hard to believe that it's a mere coincidence that the author find all the newer games to be better. If newer automatically means better, then there's no reason to take his review seriously either.

I think that these top 100 list makers are all trolls, that are behind on their deadline and have to pump out an article which will get some views. which a horrendous top 100 will do.

No, people need to remember this is a publication not just some random guys opinion. People are going to pay money to read this shit and it is just awful.

GzZFN.jpg

how-pc-gamers-see-themselves-2212-1310690041-3.jpg

I think that these top 100 list makers are all trolls, that are behind on their deadline and have to pump out an article which will get some views. which a horrendous top 100 will do.

That is how captialism works today. If you aren't skeptical of just about everything you are bound to get fucked someway.

People today do the least to get by as long as something will make money.

Horrendous top 100 list do that.

And by the way of course this is going to be modern games.

I still don't think you guys get how video games are generation. If a game like "Perfect Dark" was the best FPS shooter of all time how come it is just a fucking ghost town on xbox live?

Nostalgia never holds.

Many current PC games will run on pretty low-end hardware, sure. That's hardly an interesting observation, though. The PC, with very few exceptions, allows one to scale up almost infinitely, with almost infinite support for I/O, which is its greatest strength.

A Kia Rio can go 'round the Nürburgring, but it won't do it particularly well. If you want to do well on it, you bring the crème de la crème.

Its an elite gaming platform that is dominated by top selling games that can run on a 500 dollar laptop.

Sadly true. WoW, LoL, DOTA2, and Minecraft aside, the PC is having a renaissance because of it though, which pleases me. I left the PC for the console back in 2004 after the platform became a get rich money scheme. Lack of single player, lack of character and storyline depth, all about wiz-bang grafix, etc. etc. Now consoles are starting to go the same route and developers are having to put some real effort behind PC titles if they want success. It brought me back that's for sure.

Can we think Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassins Creed, and even my favorite Gears of War with its latest release. Yearly release cycles are going to slow down and possibly reverse the juggernaught that is console gaming and PC gamers right now are starting to prosper because of it. Not saying PC gaming isn't without its problems, but right now we are in a nice little reverse and F2P is bringing a lot of people back along with cheap Steam deals and mindless fun with inferior quality games that just know how to sell you replay value.

Many current PC games will run on pretty low-end hardware, sure. That's hardly an interesting observation, though. The PC, with very few exceptions, allows one to scale up almost infinitely, with almost infinite support for I/O, which is its greatest strength.

A Kia Rio can go 'round the Nürburgring, but it won't do it particularly well. If you want to do well on it, you bring the crème de la crème.

I will take your same example and say certain companies cater to different audiences. For instance Ferrari doesn't sell a Honda Accord, although they have looked at making a sedan similar to how Porsche did with an SUV product.

They did it to expand their market share because selling only 1000 Prosches a year doesn't do well when you need to grow your company.

Taking your Kia example sure the Rio can't race around a track, but is that a normal every day activity? No it isn't, therefore a Kia does about the samething a Porsche will do.

Similarly if Porsche disappeared tomorrow the "International Community of Drivers" would give two fucking shit or zero fucks due to the fact that normal cars would stuff be left with point A and point B.

The only people crying would be all these fat fuck elitist (sarcasm) who would be crying about not being able to drive their Porsches and Ferraris for sunday drives.

That is what PC gaming is.

Sadly true. WoW, LoL, DOTA2, and Minecraft aside, the PC is having a renaissance because of it though, which pleases me. I left the PC for the console back in 2004 after the platform became a get rich money scheme. Lack of single player, lack of character and storyline depth, all about wiz-bang grafix, etc. etc. Now consoles are starting to go the same route and developers are having to put some real effort behind PC titles if they want success. It brought me back that's for sure.

Can we think Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassins Creed, and even my favorite Gears of War with its latest release. Yearly release cycles are going to slow down and possibly reverse the juggernaught that is console gaming and PC gamers right now are starting to prosper because of it. Not saying PC gaming isn't without its problems, but right now we are in a nice little reverse and F2P is bringing a lot of people back along with cheap Steam deals and mindless fun with inferior quality games that just know how to sell you replay value.

Fucking bingo!!!!!

I will take my wife as an example. She had some shitty Toshiba laptop 6 years ago that still ran WoW. She loved WoW back in the day, its the only thing she would play so on and so forth. If she went online or asked someone about maybe trying out some other PC games you know because WoW is a gateway you would basically get this converstation:

"Oh you have what laptop, that thing isn't going to run any of these games, you better just stick with WoW".

or

"Oh well you need to build your own computer to play this and this and this"

Some people just don't want to deal with that.

Someone buys an Xbox for Peggle or some shit and they go into Gamestop or on a message board and instantly someone might say "well you should try out call of duty, go buy it!" Done and done.

That is what PC gaming is.

Or, rather...

It's folks like me who have been gaming on PCs since the term "PC Gaming" was created.

Who are genuinely disappointed in:
  • The catering to casual gamers
  • The preference of console game production instead of PC game production
  • Ports
  • Severe lack of PC-centric genre games like simulations that take advantage of modern PC hardware
  • PC-Gaming journalism (aka PC Gamer)
  • etc. etc.

When I see someone or an organization that purports to represent PC Gaming spew nonsense, I call them out. I don't see what's wrong with that.

The poster that shows some of there older lists the person that wrote this one obviously didnt EVEN READ there own older lists to form a new one. Also

I still don't think you guys get how video games are generation. If a game like "Perfect Dark" was the best FPS shooter of all time how come it is just a fucking ghost town on xbox live?

Nostalgia never holds.

Because Perfect Dark and older video games also had a REAL social aspect with them, current online play doesnt. When you went to arcades it was part of the experience to play pvp in fighting games not the CPU or some asshat from PC Gamer staff over the internet. Goldeneye half the fun was playing with your friends in the same room killing each other...I am sorry even though internet play is great nothing beats a real person sitting next to you playing a game with you. Plus imo playing games on there original systems trumps emulators or remakes on modern systems because it is NOT the same experience hence why nostalgia isnt always the same...

I like how people are bitching about the people bitching about this list, yet NO ONE has actually admitted to thinking this list is legit in any remote way. :rolleyes:

I kinda think there are some people who lurk here just to jump in and yell "PC GAMERS ARE ELITISTS!" at every possible opportunity.

I like how people are bitching about the people bitching about this list, yet NO ONE has actually admitted to thinking this list is legit in any remote way. :rolleyes:
not true, some people have said the games on there are ok but it's the order they are in that don't make sense

Taking your Kia example sure the Rio can't race around a track, but is that a normal every day activity? No it isn't, therefore a Kia does about the samething a Porsche will do.
In my analogy, "racing around a track" is analogous to "playing games". Playing games is most assuredly an "everyday activity" on a games console, and for many, on the PC as well.

The consoles certainly do a good job of playing games for those who aren't terribly particular about visual fidelity, lower-latency input or playing with different types of input on different types of outputs. They cater to a different market, yes. They're still racing around the same track (playing the same games) that the PC is, though: they just aren't executing on it nearly as well.

Or, rather...

It's folks like me who have been gaming on PCs since the term "PC Gaming" was created.

Who are genuinely disappointed in:
  • The catering to casual gamers
  • The preference of console game production instead of PC game production
  • Ports
  • Severe lack of PC-centric genre games like simulations that take advantage of modern PC hardware
  • PC-Gaming journalism (aka PC Gamer)
  • etc. etc.

When I see someone or an organization that purports to represent PC Gaming spew nonsense, I call them out. I don't see what's wrong with that.

If you feel that way that is your opinion. I personally see PC Gamer as just a magazine about PC Games. I don't see it as the definitive authority on the matter. I usually listen to like Rebel FM and look at Metacritic for my opinion on games.

Gaming journalism has nothing to do with PC gaming it has do with the fact pretty much everyone who games isn't reading magazines when they are already connected to the internet.

As far as the rest of that shit goes thats life, thats how the world works. If 100 people want to buy ice cream and 10 customers "really" care about their ice cream am I only going to create an ice cream flavor I can sell to 10 people or 10 percent of the customer base. Probably not. Same way with PC gaming, there is a lot more people who PC game today that are casual so the market adapts to that.

In my analogy, "racing around a track" is analogous to "playing games". Playing games is most assuredly an "everyday activity" on a games console, and for many, on the PC as well.

The consoles certainly do a good job of playing games for those who aren't terribly particular about visual fidelity, lower-latency input or playing with different types of input on different types of outputs. They cater to a different market, yes. They're still racing around the same track (playing the same games) that the PC is, though: they just aren't executing on it nearly as well.

If I mentioned that sentence to someone like my wife or a "casual" they aren't going to care.

Sorry some people just want to drive a car around a track from point A to point B, they don't really care how fast or how good they look going around. In fact the majority of people do, hence why cars like Ford Fusions, Camrys, Accords, Corallas etc are top sellers.

The poster that shows some of there older lists the person that wrote this one obviously didnt EVEN READ there own older lists to form a new one. Also

Because Perfect Dark and older video games also had a REAL social aspect with them, current online play doesnt. When you went to arcades it was part of the experience to play pvp in fighting games not the CPU or some asshat from PC Gamer staff over the internet. Goldeneye half the fun was playing with your friends in the same room killing each other...I am sorry even though internet play is great nothing beats a real person sitting next to you playing a game with you. Plus imo playing games on there original systems trumps emulators or remakes on modern systems because it is NOT the same experience hence why nostalgia isnt always the same...

Yea it is, these games are selling for ridiculously low prices. If Perfect Dark has the player base and "nostalgia" to sell for a higher price it would.

I agree in the past it was a social thing, but it isn't like the remakes are the same game. Usually they are updated with added features.

People aren't playing Perfect Dark anymore because it is an inferior experience and something their friends don't play.

Hence why gaming is mostly generational. Not saying Perfect Dark isn't a good game, it was...15 years ago.

I kinda think there are some people who lurk here just to jump in and yell "PC GAMERS ARE ELITISTS!" at every possible opportunity.

Let me put it this way, I see "top 10 best xbox games" on sites like gaming bolt blah blah blah but I rarely see threads for them. I could be wrong, I just think it is dumb that people are getting bent out of shape.

Personally I can't believe PC Gaming is still even in publication due to the fact that pretty much all publications are extinct.

If I mentioned that sentence to someone like my wife or a "casual" they aren't going to care.

No crap, someone who doesn't probably doesn't consider themselves a PC Gamer probably wouldn't care. Last time I checked your average PvZ or Famville player doesn't spend a lot of time on [H].

Sorry some people just want to drive a car around a track from point A to point B, they don't really care how fast or how good they look going around. In fact the majority of people do, hence why cars like Ford Fusions, Camrys, Accords, Corallas etc are top sellers.

If you really believe this, then why do companies even exist to cater to certain aspects of the market. Why does Lamborghini continue to produce cars if the majority of people aren't going to be able to afford one? Why do Ford, Toyota, and Honda pour so much money into R&D and marketing?

I think you're beginning to believe your own BS at this point...

Back