2013 PC Gamer Top 100 (of all time)

obviously the list is pretty subjective. everybody likes different things so everybodys list would be different

The rest of your comparison comes from a decade of engine technology and processing horsepower.
No, it really comes from a decade of the team getting better at design and execution. I didn't mention anything about Skyrim's improved visual fidelity, better audio processing (I was referring to the sound design aspect of the audio, which, in Morrowind, was absolutely terrible) or better animation systems. Those things simply come as a function of Moore's law.

The production quality did improve pretty significantly with Skyrim over Morrowind. Whether that's enough to make it a better game than Morrowind is debatable, but I don't think the aspect of its production quality is. All else being equal, better production quality does make for better games.

Also, Skyrim doesn't have cliff racers. Clearly...

Have you ever played V: tM Bloodlines in it's release state? It wasn't just a buggy game, it was broken in almost every possible way. It deserved the low scores it got. It wasn't until modders got their hands it that the game became playable and then really damn good.

Yes. I bought the game at release and it was buggy and unfinished and completely deserved a "meh" score. Modders have made it much better, but even in it's current not-broken state I don't think it's a top 100 game.

The real question here is, is the list based on community created content and patches or what the developers gave us? Other games like Half Life and Quake 2 are highly regarded, but most of people favorite content for those games was fan created mods.

Obviously they've never heard of DOSBox or D-Fend... yet another fail.

I'd be willing to bet that most of the young'ns working there don't even know what a boot-disk is or have even read the words autoexec.bat, let alone had to ever go through the process of making one...

I haven't heard of D-Fend and I work as a systems admin. These dudes are journalists.

I probably wouldn't load D-Fend or Dosbox to play some crappy old game either.

The real question here is, is the list based on community created content and patches or what the developers gave us? Other games like Half Life and Quake 2 are highly regarded, but most of people favorite content for those games was fan created mods.

So why is Skyrim #1 then? Is it because of the user content or the game itself?

I bought/played bloodlines at release, it had *some* bugs, but I was able to finish it and enjoy it. I've only played it one other subsequent play-through, with the added factions and whatnot.

I haven't heard of D-Fend and I work as a systems admin. These dudes are journalists.

I probably wouldn't load D-Fend or Dosbox to play some crappy old game either.

Why make a Top Games of all Time list if you weren't actually going to do a fair comparison? That's like ranking all console games but not including SNES because you can't get your old console to work.

Why make a Top Games of all Time list if you weren't actually going to do a fair comparison? That's like ranking all console games but not including SNES because you can't get your old console to work.

I get your point and that is a very good point because the title is obviously misleading just to get clicks or sell subs or whatever, but most of the current editors probably haven't even played the games listed.

Not to mention if you did a fanbased 100 top console games or some shit you would probably see Call of Duty and shit on that list where as the SNES peeps would be a slient minority.

Time sucks.

So why is Skyrim #1 then? Is it because of the user content or the game itself?

Factoring in user content is a perfectly valid way to create a list, but it should be explained up-front. Maybe they explain their process in the actual article.

Based on multiple games on this list, user content had at least a little something to do with their rankings.

I know people who enjoyed Skyrim on consoles, but I don't think any of them would say it's their favorite game ever. I don't think I've ever seen somebody here say Skyrim is their favorite game ever. #1 is a head-scratcher.

Yeah, supposedly journalists for PC Games...

D-Fend isn't for system administration, it's a front-end GUI for DOSBox.

Not including PC games because they are old means the list is no longer "of all time". That would be like making a Top 100 Cars of All Time, then excluding anything older than 1995 (I don't see Car and Driver or Road and Track doing something dumb like that).

Last edited:
I get your point and that is a very good point because the title is obviously misleading just to get clicks or sell subs or whatever, but most of the current editors probably haven't even played the games listed.

Not to mention if you did a fanbased 100 top console games or some shit you would probably see Call of Duty and shit on that list where as the SNES peeps would be a slient minority.

Time sucks.

A lot of these old games are mechanically sound to this day. Many of them are still fun to play. Not including something like Fallout just shows the purpose of the list.

The sad thing is, most of the games on the list are pretty damn good. Yet the list is not.

Maybe they explain their process in the actual article.

The photos I saw had descriptions/reasoning after each title, but it was more a place for amateur-witty-commentary rather than "we thought hard about this and this is why we made this decision".

This is their...OPINION. Don't see why everyone is going full-retard here, it's just what they think are the best games. We all have our own opinions, no need to get so crazy over someone else's.

I know people who enjoyed Skyrim on consoles, but I don't think any of them would say it's their favorite game ever. I don't think I've ever seen somebody here say Skyrim is their favorite game ever. #1 is a head-scratcher.

Dark Souls is my #1 game of all time (gaming since 1988), But it doesn't belong on a PC games top 100 list as it is a console game ported over to PC.....despite it being the pinnacle of its genre and the greatest game in known existence; sure other solar systems may have something better but fuck them.

Dark Souls 2; however, being released on both console and PC at the same time with a stated emphasis on making the PC version more gooder could possibly be considered in a PC games list.

...But out of their list I fault them the least for putting Dark Souls on the list considering if aliens ever came to earth it would be the first thing I'd want them to know about our species and a requirement for taking up residence on our planet.

This is their...OPINION. Don't see why everyone is going full-retard here, it's just what they think are the best games. We all have our own opinions, no need to get so crazy over someone else's.

Why not? There would be no discussion otherwise. Life would be dull if we couldn't go full retard about what other people think.

... Maybe you're right. We should focus on why you like Call of Duty. WHY!?

Why not? There would be no discussion otherwise. Life would be dull if we couldn't go full retard about what other people think.

... Maybe you're right. We should focus on why you like Call of Duty. WHY!?

Some people just seem to go a bit extreme in this thread about a magazine's opinion on something. Everyone just needs to realize this isn't the master list of best games ever.

And because I enjoy it :D. Think about your favorite game and the joy you get out of that, that's kind of like how it is for CoD for me.

And because I enjoy it :D. Think about your favorite game and the joy you get out of that, that's kind of like how it is for CoD for me.

On our side of things, imagine you see CoD and go "oh ok, whatever, dumb game", think nothing of it. Then you hear the announcement for your favorite series and the devs saying things like "we want the CoD crowd" "we've reimagined the game for a broader audience". Not only do you get mad the developer, you get mad at CoD. CoD didn't do anything wrong (other than permanently stunt an entire generation of gamers from being good at fps's), but we still give it hate.

THEN a game magazine, who once was "your type" of gamer; decides to make a list of the "top 100" but focuses half of that list on "the cod crowd and its derivatives" completely ignoring the wide assortment of titles that came before the mass homogenization of gaming that the industry has undergone in the last 10 years.

Thinking about this raises my blood pressure....because i'm passionate about my hobb....I mean addiction.

On our side of things, imagine you see CoD and go "oh ok, whatever, dumb game", think nothing of it. Then you hear the announcement for your favorite series and the devs saying things like "we want the CoD crowd" "we've reimagined the game for a broader audience". Not only do you get mad the developer, you get mad at CoD. CoD didn't do anything wrong (other than permanently stunt an entire generation of gamers from being good at fps's), but we still give it hate.

THEN a game magazine, who once was "your type" of gamer; decides to make a list of the "top 100" but focuses half of that list on "the cod crowd and its derivatives" completely ignoring the wide assortment of titles that came before the mass homogenization of gaming that the industry has undergone in the last 10 years.

Thinking about this raises my blood pressure....because i'm passionate about my hobb....I mean addiction.

You've hit the nail on the head, thank you.

If we could have seen what PC Gaming was to become, maybe we could have changed it... but then it would have never been, so would we have known to change it? Damn time-paradoxes...

You've hit the nail on the head, thank you.

If we could have seen what PC Gaming was to become, maybe we could have changed it... but then it would have never been, so would we have known to change it? Damn time-paradoxes...

what do you mean by 'we'?

'We' are the ones who turned gaming what it is today. 'We' are the masses who lined up for Halo 2, CoD 4, ect...

'We' love what gaming has become and every COD game will out sell games which a select few of use with standards consider to be superior.

so the only way 'we' can do anything about it is if 'we' manage to turn the majority of gamers into elitist who do not enjoy the simplicity of COD...which will never happen.

"we"? don't you mean "you".... or wiiu.... oh I made a funny!!!!

just boil it down to "too many chefs in the kitchen"... uck, another funny (pun) I'm on a roll... kaiser roll (ROFL)... (yes, I know I'm lame)

Sometimes I think this forum should be renamed to "Butthurt Chronicles".

Some of you guys need to get out more.

Sometimes I think this forum should be renamed to "Butthurt Chronicles".

Some of you guys need to get out more.

Opinions are opinions, but my opinions are better than yours. SCOTUS has ruled my opinions to be more vaalid.

This is their...OPINION. Don't see why everyone is going full-retard here, it's just what they think are the best games.

The only one that went full retard here is PC Gamer. Other than some 12-year-old kid, I can't honestly think of anyone who would agree with this list. It seems poorly thought-out and not really even worthy of mention.

Opinions are one thing...throwing together a nonsensical list to get page clicks/publicity is another.

RIP PC Gamer's Credibility
Born 1993
Died 20??

Apparently Diablo 3 is better than Diablo 1 and 2.
Skyrim is better than Morrowind
Starcraft 2 better than Brood War

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Half-Life 2
4. Team Fortress 2
5. Deus Ex
6. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
7. Bioshock
8. Mincraft
9. Left 4 Dead 2
10. Starcraft II
11. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
12. EVE Online
13. ARMA 2
14. Portal
15. World of Warcraft
16. Bioshock Infinite
17. Hitman: Blood Money
18. FTL
19. Company of Heroes
20. Civilization V
21. DOTA 2
22. Planescape: Torment
23. Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
24. Dragon Age: Origins
25. Age of Empires
26. SimCity 4
27. Baldur's Gate 2
28. Grim Fandango
29. Battlefield 3
30. The Witcher 2
31. Rome: Total War
32. Day of the Tentacle
33. Spelunky
34. League of Legends
35. Planetside 2
36. Dungeon Keeper
37. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
38. Alpha Centauri
39. System Shock 2
40. Dishonored
41. Total War: Shogun
42. Return to Castle Wolfenstein
43. Doom
44. Quake III
45. DayZ
46. Dark Souls
47. The Witcher
48. Portal 2
49. FIFA 13
50. Flight Sim X
51. Crusader Kings 2
52. Tomb Raider
53. Theme Hospital
54. Far Cry 2
55. Beyond Good & Evil
56. The Sims 3
57. Rollercoaster Tycoon
58. Red Alert
59. Unreal Tournament 2004
60. No One Live Forever 2
61. Half-Life :eek:

snip

Funny-Vomit-people-14.jpg

I would have to say I would put a fan patched Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines in the top 10 games of all time.

It really is that good and is one of the best games of its era.

Having stuff on the list but at the wrong rank can be debated but there is some awful shit on this list.

Deus Ex is at least in the top five. I suspect there would have been calls for blood if it was any lower.

You guys need to calm the fuck down, it's just one dude's opinion.

I'm sure we'd get the same reactions from anyone's top 100 list.

"omg why isn't X higher than Y????"

You guys need to calm the fuck down, it's just one dude's opinion.

I'm sure we'd get the same reactions from anyone's top 100 list.

"omg why isn't X higher than Y????"

No, people need to remember this is a publication not just some random guys opinion. People are going to pay money to read this shit and it is just awful.

Back