2013 Buld (Gaming, Video Editing, Photography, Music Production, Game Production)

Ericks89

n00b
After reviewing the current parts available I went with the following, keep in mind that I will water cool just about everything and so far from the 7970GHZ variants I went with the closest to reference available which is the BE Lightning and it loos neat)

Motherboard
ASUS P9X79-E WS LGA 2011
• LGA 2011
• Intel x79
• Supports DDR3 2400

Graphics
MSI R7970 LIGHTNING BE Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition X 3 for Crossfire
• 2048 Stream Processors
• 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 Memory
• PCI Express 3.0 x16

Memory
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB
• DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
• Timing 10-12-12-31
• Cas Latency 10
• Voltage 1.65
• Model F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD

Power

LEPA G Series G1600-MA 1600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply
• ATX12V / EPS12V
• FULL MODULAR
• 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFIED
• 115-240 V

Display

NEC PA241W-BK X 5 (Eyefinity)

Case

MAGNUM TH10
• MB Side Door (XXL Window)
• NB Door Window (Clear)
• PSU Side Door (Ventilated)
• PSU Door Window (None)
• Top Cover (120mm Tall Ventilated)
• I/O Panel (USB 3.0/HD Audio)
• PCI Backplate (Fan Holes)
• HDD Cage Type (Flex-Bay)
• Flex Bay Covers (Ventilated)

Since nothing is purchased if you see compatibility problems please respond otherwise I went from the approved vendor list from asus.

I also forgot to mention I'll be purchasing a ZXR for this build as it has a lot of components that I want, even though for just listening to music this is great but for production it looks pretty sweet.
So my 3 gfx cards will cover the first 6 slots wile the last slot will be used for the zxr and thank god for the 10 expansions slots with the TH10!

Last edited:
Please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better.

Please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better.

"Dead Thread" But here's my answers.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Video and Audio Production, Game Development, 3D Modeling, CAD

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
No Limit, buying over a period of time.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
South Dakota, Aberdeen, USA!

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word
"Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU
GFX Card(s)
Sound Card
Ram
Midi Interface
Midi Keyboard (unfortunately I do not know the exact name of these keyboards)
Audio Mixer
Capture Devices (USB 3.0 preferred) or PCI-E (I can swap out parts when I'm not gaming as the gfx cards will take up most of the pci slots.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Will not be reusing old parts, turning that into a file server.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
9600X1200 (5X Monitors @ 1920X1200)

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
During the Summer, building over time due to the price.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

UEFI (However will be using linux as a secondary OS, don't know the state of how well UEFI is supported in linux)
Crossfire
Raid
USB 3.0
Sata 6GBs
eSata
(the board I chose though will do great)

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, however purchasing a separate license for Windows 8 Pro for this machine, will keep Windows 8 on my older(current) build as a fileserver. And 64-bit

I will also be using Linux as well as I do like open software regardless of how limited it is compared to commercial software (cough gimp for example)

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
During the Summer, building over time due to the price.
We generally don't recommend that practice because it may leave you without the ability return or test parts should they arrive DOA. Not to mention that it may cost you more money in the long run unless you're constantly deal hunting. Finally, some of the parts we recommend today may not be the same parts we recommed next month let alone a few months from now. So I highly recommend that you get the parts in one go.

As for your build, ditch the RAM as it's rated at 1.65V and it's overpriced for the miniscule performance increase over DDR3 1600 RAM. I recommend two of this RAM instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231558

You didn't list the CPU. Assuming that you haven't chosen a CPU yet, I recommend getting the Core i7 3930K.

You didn't list any storage devices either. I definitely recommend a SSD as a OS and most heavily used applications drive. I recommend getting the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB or the 128GB if you're on a tighter budget. The hard drive can be any size you want but 2TB tends to be the most bang for the buck options.

I'm actually buying everything all at once, I never buy 1 piece at a time.
The monitors though will probably be bought last or just 1 at first until everything is setup as they're about $1000 a pop ( I love color accuracy^^) and plus my father's in the business and they only use Nec.

Back