200M Workers Want Windows 8 Tablets, Not iPads

200 million workers hate their job, and would rather be playing PC games.

My company keeps getting iPads for the VPs and stuff and THEN asking us here at the IT department how to get them to use the Windows applications they want to use with them.

This is why we told them to get Windows 8 tablets instead.

My company keeps getting iPads for the VPs and stuff and THEN asking us here at the IT department how to get them to use the Windows applications they want to use with them.

This is why we told them to get Windows 8 tablets instead.

This is why I think Windows 8 has much more potential in the enterprise than many think. If you want tablets and the ability to run Windows apps, connect to domains, printers, etc. Windows 8 tablets might be a much better proposition than others devices.

On the start screen type the following: shutdown -r -t 0

Much easier than trying to navigate.

So that's how great the windows 8/server 2012 touch screen GUI is, it's faster to revert to the command line!

So that's how great the windows 8/server 2012 touch screen GUI is, it's faster to revert to the command line!

One reason these kinds of threads fascinate me is because I often have no idea why people are finding things so difficult that I've never had issue with. When you run the Windows 8 desktop RDP client everything, including hot corners work on the remote machine, even on a multiple monitor client.

What kind of work do most of your users do?

Developers and installers need to run multiple VM's of servers (Server 2008, SQL, IIS, and applications).

General office users are heavy MS Office use, Outlook, CRM, and other internal apps. Many of these users are currently using the dual core laptops, but the 2.2Ghz dual core/4GB ram is barely enough due to the multiple apps they run at the same time. If I could upgrade the laptops to 8GB, they might be ok.

Developers and installers need to run multiple VM's of servers (Server 2008, SQL, IIS, and applications).

General office users are heavy MS Office use, Outlook, CRM, and other internal apps. Many of these users are currently using the dual core laptops, but the 2.2Ghz dual core/4GB ram is barely enough due to the multiple apps they run at the same time. If I could upgrade the laptops to 8GB, they might be ok.

Odd that a company would buy systems that would work effectively for years, instead of buying systems barely capable of meeting your user's needs today.

The Surface Pro isn't most the high end device tablet hybrid coming to market, a more powerful one would be the Lenovo Helix which can be configured up to 8GB of RAM and a 256 GB SSD with a i7 and folding keyboard dock with a extra battery and deliver close to twice the battery life of the Surface Pro, at least that's that the spec sheet from Lenovo says.

One reason these kinds of threads fascinate me is because I often have no idea why people are finding things so difficult that I've never had issue with. When you run the Windows 8 desktop RDP client everything, including hot corners work on the remote machine, even on a multiple monitor client.

The hot corners work, I just hate waiting the 2-3 seconds for the box to popup, instead of just simply clicking on something. Plus having to dig deeper into menus than before. Coming in through the Dell remote card (DRAC) when you can't use remote desktop is even worse due to the slower response time.

Part of the problem might be due to the mutple layers of remote desktop I'm going through (remote into a terminal server box, and then from there remote into another server, and then somethings controlling VM's or Hyper-V systems).

Odd that a company would buy systems that would work effectively for years, instead of buying systems barely capable of meeting your user's needs today.

???

The dual core systm are 5-6 years old (they where top of the line when bought)
I'd say we got our money's worth out of them.

The laptops we are currently buying are 2.8ghz i5's with 16GB ram.
Anything better is lot more expensive, and not worth the marginal increase in speed.

The hot corners work, I just hate waiting the 2-3 seconds for the box to popup, instead of just simply clicking on something.

I've never seen this delay even when using a Clover Trail device to remote into a machine using the Windows 8 desktop RDP client.. Not saying it can't happen especially over a slower connection but in testing things over my local network the speed and responsiveness of the Windows 8 desktop client has been great. And it's not like even with other versions of Windows there are responsiveness delays in the Start Menu.

The hot corners work, I just hate waiting the 2-3 seconds for the box to popup, instead of just simply clicking on something. Plus having to dig deeper into menus than before. Coming in through the Dell remote card (DRAC) when you can't use remote desktop is even worse due to the slower response time.

Part of the problem might be due to the mutple layers of remote desktop I'm going through (remote into a terminal server box, and then from there remote into another server, and then somethings controlling VM's or Hyper-V systems).

Hoops, you're jumping through a lot of them to get there. :eek:

Yes I'm sure that i5 watered down to 17W ULV is quite the screamer. I'll wait for gen2 and take another look - Haswell is really what Surface needs..

Please stop spreading FUD, son. My X230T is using a 35W full-speed 3.1ghz turbo i5 with hyperthreading and full HD4000. It performs spectacularly for my work.

Please stop spreading FUD, son. My X230T is using a 35W full-speed 3.1ghz turbo i5 with hyperthreading and full HD4000. It performs spectacularly for my work.

Oh and just to add, the ULV Ivy Bridge i5's are pretty damn strong as well. My i5 35w Ivy Bridge is spectacular.

Yeah, the phrase "Windows 8 Tablet" covers so many different kinds of devices that it is meaningless. Historically your x230t has been called a convertible Tablet PC which tends to be much more like a conventional laptop than something like the Surface Pro. Indeed the x200 designs have always a conventional and convertible design with the same underlying compute hardware with the big difference being the convertible screen. Glad to see that you're liking you x230t. I can't wait to see what Lenovo has in store for the next in the x200 series which should be fully Windows 8 compatible this time around.

Might want to learn basic statistics and probability before saying 9700 is too low of a sample size, buddy-boy.
I'm trying to think of a way that you could come across as more condescending, but nothing's coming to me.

I'm trying to think of a way that you could come across as more condescending, but nothing's coming to me.

Thanks, I thought it was pretty well-worded myself. Perhaps if he had done some basic thinking prior to posting such blatantly wrong, misinformed words, he wouldn't have failed to the point where people felt they had to talk down to him. :)

Uh-huh. I'm writing this from my $664 X230T with i5 ivy bridge, 8gb ddr3, 128gb ssd, wacom pen+multitouch digitizer convertible, by the way ;). An iDevice is a poor choice no matter how you slice it.... convertibles and detachables for Windows 8 make good sense though ;).

I just googled your X230T. it starts at $1,149.00. if it was $664 I would buy it, instantly.

???

The dual core systm are 5-6 years old (they where top of the line when bought)
I'd say we got our money's worth out of them.

The laptops we are currently buying are 2.8ghz i5's with 16GB ram.
Anything better is lot more expensive, and not worth the marginal increase in speed.

I was saying your company is making good choices on hardware, which is very odd. Most companies purchase the bare minimum to operate

I was saying your company is making good choices on hardware, which is very odd. Most companies purchase the bare minimum to operate

That used to be the case with my company. But lately they are stepping it up. I have a i7 with nvidia quadro dedicated gpu. 256gb ssd, 16gb of ram. My last one was just baseline. They are even letting me upgrade that old one too. So I am getting two new machines. I get to make the choice on the new one too. But I don't really need it since I have my vaio duo and the recent one they gave me.

Back