200M Workers Want Windows 8 Tablets, Not iPads

HardOCP News

[H] News
Good news for Microsoft, people that are actually doing work want Windows 8 tablets....not an iPad. Obvious survey is obvious.

Good news for Microsoft: 200 million information workers want Windows tablets, a report from Forrester claimed Monday, quite a few more than the 900,000 Surface RT tablets that IDC estimated have already been sold into the channel. If Forrester's numbers truly reflect reality, they indicate a huge pent-up demand for the Surface Pro, which goes on sale this month.

Lets hope they also like bringing the power cable around everywhere with them as well. ;)

Thats 200 million that havn't used windows 8 :)

Honestly I havn't used win 8 on a tablet, it may be good who knows.

But remoting into Windows 8 and server 2012 blows whale balls, just getting to the start "Screen" and the shutdown menu takes patients

I just today received a demo unit of the ASUS VivoTab Smart ME400C

It's a dual core atom...
in a thin 10" tablet...
that runs full win8...
and all the apps...
has a microUSB port for devices (keyboard/mouse/whatever)...
has an HDMI output...
prints to my multifunction laser printer over the network like any windows computer...
runs REAL youtube...
REAL Adobe Reader...
A capacitive multitouch screen that is very responsive...

And has crazy good batter life.

Yeah. I think I'm going to like this thing.

But remoting into Windows 8 and server 2012 blows whale balls, just getting to the start "Screen" and the shutdown menu takes patients

I've never had a problem remoting using windows 8.

Also, the hardware power button has been the fastest way to turn off/restart/sleep your computer since XP. Its weird to keep seeing people bitch and moan about this.

If you use Windows 8 on a desktop, you'll forget you're using 8. the only thing big change is the windows key takes you to a full screen start menu. The start menu also has apps you can install that are known to be malware and virus free. I am more productive on W8 at work than I was with 7.

It's depends on the RDP client. The desktop RDP client in Windows 8 works very well with Windows 8. When it's full screen the Window 8 RDP client sends all keyboard, mouse and touch input to the remote machine, it works just like using a Windows 8 machine locally.

While it completely blows on a desktop and laptop that don't have touch. Win 8 on a tablet is pretty damn good. Which is why I have said from the beginning, win 8 should be Windows Tablet edition and not win 8 as it is a shit desktop os.

I've never had a problem remoting using windows 8.

Also, the hardware power button has been the fastest way to turn off/restart/sleep your computer since XP. Its weird to keep seeing people bitch and moan about this.

I think one of the points of establishing a remote session is to access a computer or server you can't easily reach out and touch in person so the thing with using the power button is sort of not useful in many remote desktop scenarios. (Unless you're one of those dorks that opens RDP from one computer on your desk to acess another computer on the same desk that happens to have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse within arm's reach -- I know such people)

good news everyone
Finglonger.jpg

I think one of the points of establishing a remote session is to access a computer or server you can't easily reach out and touch in person so the thing with using the power button is sort of not useful in many remote desktop scenarios. (Unless you're one of those dorks that opens RDP from one computer on your desk to acess another computer on the same desk that happens to have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse within arm's reach -- I know such people)

On the start screen type the following: shutdown -r -t 0

Much easier than trying to navigate.

On the start screen type the following: shutdown -r -t 0

Much easier than trying to navigate.

That'll restart the system, silly! It's actually a /s switch for a shutdown and, I wasn't gonna go there but if you can reach it over the network a /m and then a \\computer_name will just remotely kill it without RDP being involved.

Either way, poking the power button doesn't work if you can't lay your paws on the box.

Yups once you deal with the incompatibilities in older software that advisor does not caution you about.. and a couple weeks to get over the jarring switching between the 2 interfaces ...windows 8 is just as good as win7 with a couple enhanced features that put it into the well done category :)

Remoting into a windows 8 machine is horrid. The main problem is the fucking useless Charms bar. Its doesn't activate worth shit through certain means. I have had problems with it. Useless UI designers at Microsoft though it would be fucking hilarious to put in a passive element into a generaly reactive ui workflow. The hover bullshit doesn't activate correctly end of story unless you hover just right stand on your head get and scream at the device in frustration.

Those who say oh just use a Keyboard shortcut.
Try it with out a keyboard a physical keyboard
Try it through VNC/Windowed RDP/3rd Party RDP Clients
Try it on an iDevice/Android.

To bad fuckwads at microsoft didn't even include an option to make the ass useless 10% of your screen bar option to stay on your god damn fucking screen.

This survey is full of shit. I administer over a 1000 users and all but a handful want to do work else where and when they do its.
1. Multimonitor (requires Ultimate or Enterprise edition of an OS)
2. Use a readily available descent tablet like an Android/iDevice (cause fuckwad MS thinks its cool not to release their shit in Canada)
3. Have to access confidential systems that need a full fledged computer.
4. DON'T WANT TO BUY/USE A WINDOWS PC as their BYOD.

900k Tablets sold.. OH Lol.. Doesn't Apple sell like that much in a week and they managed this in how many months.. How the fuck did they come up with this magical number of 200M? I am sure they interviewed people overseas like India/China/Philipines.. Where a 1K surface tablet is so ATTAINABLE.
I call Horse SHIT

900k Tablets sold.. OH Lol.. Doesn't Apple sell like that much in a week and they managed this in how many months.. How the fuck did they come up with this magical number of 200M? I am sure they interviewed people overseas like India/China/Philipines.. Where a 1K surface tablet is so ATTAINABLE.
I call Horse SHIT

The Surface RT doesn't run Windows 8.

Those 200M people should make their businesses buy a Win8 tablet!

I call Horse SHIT

The remaining 90% of workers want iPads. :(

Amazeing to me how the general public purchased the windows 8 rt tablets. Oh well just goes to show how many fools there are. The windows pro tablet is better but for me not even good enough I suggest to wait for the new intel processor to debut in a few months.

If you use Windows 8 on a desktop, you'll forget you're using 8. the only thing big change is the windows key takes you to a full screen start menu. The start menu also has apps you can install that are known to be malware and virus free. I am more productive on W8 at work than I was with 7.

Same for me, and quoted for truth.

P.S. Loving my X230 Tablet, it's awesome for productivity.

While it completely blows on a desktop and laptop that don't have touch. Win 8 on a tablet is pretty damn good. Which is why I have said from the beginning, win 8 should be Windows Tablet edition and not win 8 as it is a shit desktop os.

Not sure what you mean, it works basically identically on a desktop as windows 7 did?????? :confused: Have you even used Windows 8?

Of course people want Win 8 Pro tablets. They're the PC equivalent of the smartphone. They run your old programs, your new apps, are mobile, have touch support, pen support, and still accept all yours traditional USB accessories. They have it all. But like the first smartphones, the user experience is going to be a little rough because the hardware is just beginning to be capable of doing it all. And really, the processing power is already there (unlike the first smartphones), they just need to get battery life up to 6 or 8 hours, enough for a full work day's worth of use.

The only downside is that Win 8 Pro tablets don't have the benefit of massive subsidies to lower the cost of entry across the board that smartphones did. If MS could somehow get Win 8 Pro tablets out to consumers at near Ipad/Android prices, the play-tablets would be eaten alive.

If you are talking about using it turn off your remote session I don't see why an extra click would be such a big deal.

I did remote into my companion pc one time, out was to test a local session and I felt extremely nerdy.

Remoting into a windows 8 machine is horrid. The main problem is the fucking useless Charms bar. Its doesn't activate worth shit through certain means. I have had problems with it. Useless UI designers at Microsoft though it would be fucking hilarious to put in a passive element into a generaly reactive ui workflow. The hover bullshit doesn't activate correctly end of story unless you hover just right stand on your head get and scream at the device in frustration.

Those who say oh just use a Keyboard shortcut.
Try it with out a keyboard a physical keyboard
Try it through VNC/Windowed RDP/3rd Party RDP Clients
Try it on an iDevice/Android.

To bad fuckwads at microsoft didn't even include an option to make the ass useless 10% of your screen bar option to stay on your god damn fucking screen.

This survey is full of shit. I administer over a 1000 users and all but a handful want to do work else where and when they do its.
1. Multimonitor (requires Ultimate or Enterprise edition of an OS)
2. Use a readily available descent tablet like an Android/iDevice (cause fuckwad MS thinks its cool not to release their shit in Canada)
3. Have to access confidential systems that need a full fledged computer.
4. DON'T WANT TO BUY/USE A WINDOWS PC as their BYOD.

:confused:

U mad bro?

Relax. Don't get one, problem solved.

Yes, $900 128gb iClone Jumbo's that run pale imitations of desktop apps, while a $500-1k Windows 8 RT or Windows 8 Pro tablet runs everything. :rolleyes:

Sorry 500 dollar device will not run everything..
Yes a 1k Device with out a keyboard for productivity... OH LOL..
I doubt a Surface PRO will run Photoshop or anything that requires power.
WinRT run everything BAHAHAHAHAHA.

I can buy a touch screen laptop that has more power a nice digitizer (x220) for 1.1k and a Keyboard a better battery and more ports or hell I can get an Acer Laptop that has a touch screen for 600 bucks.It also has more ports and hell of a lot more power then a tablet.

1k for a Disposable IS WAY TO MUCH. Surface Pro is doomed.

FYI
and iDevice can use remote into a device that puts on equal footing as a 1k device.
I have retired my laptop because 99% of work is now done from my 550 dollar Asus Infinity and keyboard addon 13 Hour battery and a 20 Dollar app. Plus I don't have a potential security risk by storing anything locally.

Pfft, sould get all the other workers to say no... They wont have 200,000,000 bullets... Just hope you aren't early on in the line...(then again Ipads suck to, tablets are crappy whatever they are...)

I can buy a touch screen laptop that has more power a nice digitizer (x220) for 1.1k and a Keyboard a better battery and more ports or hell I can get an Acer Laptop that has a touch screen for 600 bucks.It also has more ports and hell of a lot more power then a tablet.

FYI
and iDevice can use remote into a device that puts on equal footing as a 1k device.
I have retired my laptop because 99% of work is now done from my 550 dollar Asus Infinity and keyboard addon 13 Hour battery and a 20 Dollar app. Plus I don't have a potential security risk by storing anything locally.

Uh-huh. I'm writing this from my $664 X230T with i5 ivy bridge, 8gb ddr3, 128gb ssd, wacom pen+multitouch digitizer convertible, by the way ;). An iDevice is a poor choice no matter how you slice it.... convertibles and detachables for Windows 8 make good sense though ;).

FYI

Oh, and a Surface Pro will rock with Photoshop/etc., look at the specs and use your head a second. My X230T is doing quite well already for modeling, sculpting, painting, etc. already, pretty much done settling in with it and getting down to real work :D.

If you are talking about using it turn off your remote session I don't see why an extra click would be such a big deal.

I did remote into my companion pc one time, out was to test a local session and I felt extremely nerdy.

It didn't have anything to do with shutdown sequences taking more clicks or less clicks or whatever. I was just saying that, if you're running an RDP session to get to a server, you're probably not going to be able to just push the power button on the front of the computer. That's true regardless of what OS is on the machine and honestly isn't intended as a comment that supports or doesn't support a complaint about the user interface. Don't read too much into it besides, "RDP probably means no touchy physical hardware." :)

It didn't have anything to do with shutdown sequences taking more clicks or less clicks or whatever. I was just saying that, if you're running an RDP session to get to a server, you're probably not going to be able to just push the power button on the front of the computer. That's true regardless of what OS is on the machine and honestly isn't intended as a comment that supports or doesn't support a complaint about the user interface. Don't read too much into it besides, "RDP probably means no touchy physical hardware." :)

I understand that, but the way the person I quoted sounded was that this had nothing to do with remote sessions.

I understand that, but the way the person I quoted sounded was that this had nothing to do with remote sessions.

Probably. I honestly haven't had to RDP into a 2012 server so aside from seeing it at the console with the usual screen, mouse, and keyboard, I'm not sure what changes if you're hitting the server remotely. I also don't really see production servers being turned off or restarted very often, but it isn't really fair to judge what's going on without knowing more about the situation. For me, 2012 is just something I'm playing with. It's not in production and there's no plans for deployment so my exposure is limited.

iPad mini and a x230 win8 laptop for me. Use the real laptop for work, and the tablet for tablet stuff... Browsing the web for hours on tablet. When the surface pro equivalent goes for 10 hours I'll be on board. :D

Back