2008 Std to SBS2011 migration, how?

sdotbrucato

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently in my office we're running Server 2008 Std, running DNS/DHCP/File/Print roles. We want to make the move to SBS2011 but are unsure of the path we should take.

Has anyone here done this migration path, or similar that could lend some hints, tips or advice? =)

That could be tricky seeing as I believe SBS can only have one DC on the domain (itself). (Correct me if I'm wrong) To transfer the FSMO roles and everything, I'm not sure how well that would work. You may just have to do it from scratch.

You can have more than one DC, BUT the SBS server must be the root of the Domain, meaning it must hold all FSMO roles. So one SBS server and one Server standard will be fine. For two SBS's you need premium i believe.

Also, you must complete the install for all the SBS roles or you will get the SBCore license violation

Okay, What I was planning on doing was creating an image of the current 2008 install. Installing SBS2011, then virtualize the 2008 image, transfer the roles, and once all roles and such were transfered, decommision the VM, remove the server.

Would this work as easily as I envision it?

Would it be easier to add another DC to the 2008 domain (use a normal pc or a VM), disconnect it from the network, then seize the roles, then install SBS onto the server (use new drives so you can fall right back to the 2008 installed drives in case of a problem), then migrate the roles to the SBS install

Would it be easier to add another DC to the 2008 domain (use a normal pc or a VM), disconnect it from the network, then seize the roles, then install SBS onto the server (use new drives so you can fall right back to the 2008 installed drives in case of a problem), then migrate the roles to the SBS install

That is overly complicated and not needed. Its possible to do the SBS migration cleanly without anything like this

with reusing the server hardware?, obviously you cant have both the old and new on the same hardware at the same time to do the migration so its either a VM or a temp box, no?

Back