2008 R2 x64 Terminal Server: users lose Office 2010 customizations

aronesz

Limp Gawd
Greetings,

On one of our brand new terminal servers, when users make customizations to the visual interface of Office 2010 applications, close said applications, and relaunch -- all their customizations that they have made are gone and back to defaults.

Any ideas? :(

because if the changes are stored in the user hive then when they hit a new server they will lose thier settings

because if the changes are stored in the user hive then when they hit a new server they will lose thier settings
At the particular division this server is at that we are experiencing this problem, there are 2 terminal servers (including itself). The other terminal server is a DL 380 G4 running Windows 2003 x86 w/ SP1. The 2008 R2 x64 terminal server is a DL 380 G6 I think. There is no redundancy where a machine decides which terminal server to connect a user to based on server loads and available resources.

ok, do you force remote desktop to delete users setting on log off?

ok, do you force remote desktop to delete users setting on log off?
Nope, not that I know of. A user profile is created upon first-time logon, where Desktop, Favorites, My Documents, and PST are stored.

Any load balancing between RDP servers? Any chance of a user just hitting a different server where those setting aren't created/saved yet?

should be running this as an RD Broker/Farm. Using Roaming profiles fixes customization errors. I host over 100 remote 'Office' users on 6 2k8 R2 servers in this type of config w/no issues. You do need to know all of the RD settings in the group policies as well to make sure you arent dumping user profile settings on logoff etc as well.

With the vague description of your TS setup there really are far too many variables on a vanilla RD setup that could be causing issues.

*edit when i read 'new' i assumed 2k8 r2 because i dont know why anyone wouldnt launch RD services on anything else at this point. :)

Nope. We're not setup like that (yeah, I know, I know :( ).

As 4saken said this needs to be set up with as a farm for optimal use. So the same user is logging into the same new server everytime?

And to be sure what the issue is: It's DURING a session, a user changes settings in Word, closes the App and reopens? And non of the settings are retained? Or is it BETWEEN logins that the issue occurs?

As 4saken said this needs to be set up with as a farm for optimal use. So the same user is logging into the same new server everytime?

And to be sure what the issue is: It's DURING a session, a user changes settings in Word, closes the App and reopens? And non of the settings are retained? Or is it BETWEEN logins that the issue occurs?
In the very same session ("DURING a session"), user adds shortcuts to the Quick Access and a Quick Print icon in a new group in the Ribbon, exits Microsoft Word, launches Microsoft Word only to find those customizations are gone.

Same terminal server session, no log off/disconnect involved. The 2008 R2 x64 is a new server physically and virtually; was setup by an ex-sysadmin that left the company while I was overseas working with this server. Users are assigned a terminal server number, and they launch an RDP shortcut on their ThinClient (there are multiple RDP shortcuts, each named according to the terminal server number, so user launches the RDP shortcut likewise to that which they are assigned) to directly connect to their terminal server. They never connect to any other terminal servers.

I will point out the details you guys had mentioned to my supervisors though. They might know where to look and what to do based on your suggestions

This is sounding like a Group Policy issue. Can we assume that you have the Office ADMX installed? Check your RSOP between the effected user/server combo.

Back