2008 Lian Li PC-V1000

I just gotta say...that is one sweet case. I'm thinking the gf's A05 might be getting exchanged with this thing, I really like the features (as well as the V-series style).

QFT

Exactly what suckered me in to dropping $200+ on my V1000.

+1 QFT right back at you ;)

Initially I wanted a V1000BW PlusII but I didn't want to pay $229 so I settled for an A05B.

I didn't get in on the PowerSpec (rebadged) V1000 PlusII's off Microcenter for $149, but I did get in on the V1000BW PlusII sale for $179 at Directron a few weeks ago (now up to $199) and after getting the case, not only am I pleased with the helluva deal, I will say without a doubt that if I had known *then* (initially) how beautiful this case really was, I *would've* paid $229 for it. Pictures don't do it justice. This case is absolutely beautiful. Best case I've ever owned, worth every penny...and now my system feels "complete". :)

Going to assume Lian Li knows what they are talking about when they claim it as a reason for changing one of the most attractive things about that case series. I'm going to assume they didn't just do it for no reason.
I'd probably say that it doesn't make a difference but the fact alot of people think it does makes it a smart move from a marketing perspective. I doubt theyd have stuck with it as long as they did if they didnt feel it was justified.

I'm sure any decent mobo nowday has a wick in the heat pipe to prevent orientation being an issue.

its too bad Lian Li decided to make it ATX instead of the reverse. One of the thing that has always attracted me to the V series was the rATX design which you don't find on too many case makers out there. I also think one of the reason why the V1xxx/V2xxx series stand out is because of the rATX design and the slimplicity of it all. LOOOVE my V1200

i just bought a v1000b this morning and dont regret it one bit... that new window looks crappy lol, only thing i like is the integrated sata board in the HD cage

another beutiful case from lian li

how does that sata backplate work do you first hook up the sata and power connectioins from the back then the plug your drive into the board from the other side?

yea i also agree they need to sell the case without a stupid looking window!!

They went away from the reverse ATX because most modern motherboards use a heatpipe setup to cool their chipsets/vregs, and heatpipes suffer a small penalty to their efficiency when the "far" end is below the hot/chipset end.

Plus some motherboards where the socket was very close to the edge of the motherboard ended up being incompatible with large heatsinks in the reverse ATX cases. (For example on some boards you have to turn a TRUE120 to run parallel to the divider, not to the back panel, which is +5C right there.)

I have to agree. I would like to see where some of you are coming up with the proof that it makes no difference in northbridge temps when you have a heatpipe design motherboard that's turned upside down because it most definitely does make a difference if you have a hot NB because the pipes aren't designed to transfer efficiently in the opposite direction. Heat rises and that's why they're designed that way. You can't defy the law of heat transfer. Just turning the case upside down is not the same thing. When you turn a V1000 upside down you've now placed the exhaust fan at the bottom of the case and the intake at the top.

I'll have to say I like the fact that they've gone back to the standard ATX in this case because the V1000 doesn't have enough room for a lot of heatsinks if the CPU socket is located very close to the top of the motherboard. I knew I could never install my Thermalright Ultra 120 in it. I think the 140mm fan over the graphics card area is a nice upgrade but I wish they would ditch the side fan box and mount the fan on the side window instead so that it doesn't block the view of the video cards. I also wish Lian-Li would stop using those butt ugly fan grills that are good for nothing but blocking airflow. Makes me just have to pay a couple bucks to buy replacement grilles.

I think I even see a reset button there on this revision finally which is long overdue. I've owned a couple of V1000's and that annoyed the heck out of me with having no reset button on the outside of the case.

I have to agree. I would like to see where some of you are coming up with the proof that it makes no difference in northbridge temps when you have a heatpipe design motherboard that's turned upside down because it most definitely does make a difference if you have a hot NB because the pipes aren't designed to transfer efficiently in the opposite direction. Heat rises and that's why they're designed that way. You can't defy the law of heat transfer. Just turning the case upside down is not the same thing. When you turn a V1000 upside down you've now placed the exhaust fan at the bottom of the case and the intake at the top.

Even if it is true, it's irrelevant. Northbridge temperature in my PC-V1000 (P35) is 50-55C, which is nowhere near to the 85C limit of CPU's (and i guess chipsets cn handle even higher temperatures). It can be problem for temperature freaks, who want to have everything cooled down to room temperature, but not for me or not for water cooled setups. And if you have high temperatures and don't have watercooling, there is still a option to use aftermarket chipset cooling.

Correct, the wicking structure present in modern heatpipes largely negates the impact that gravity and orientation impact performance. While the orientation might play a role in a cheaply manufactured heatpipe the total thermal capacity of the heatpipe will likely still exceed the thermal output from the motherboard components whatever orientation you have the heatpipe operating in.

Even if it is true, it's irrelevant. Northbridge temperature in my PC-V1000 (P35) is 50-55C, which is nowhere near to the 85C limit of CPU's (and i guess chipsets cn handle even higher temperatures). It can be problem for temperature freaks, who want to have everything cooled down to room temperature, but not for me or not for water cooled setups. And if you have high temperatures and don't have watercooling, there is still a option to use aftermarket chipset cooling.

Well I don't know what FSB speeds and voltages you're running on your P35 board but I can tell you that when you're pushing 500Mhz+ FSB on the P35/X38/X48 chipset boards the Northbridge and Southbridge start getting rather hot and that's why you see so many people over at forums like xtremesystems replacing the heatpipes and stock coolers with aftermarket coolers and watercooling and it's not cause they're temp freaks it's cause the chipset is too hot to be stable. With the proper wicks in the heatpipes it may not make a huge difference in heat transfer but the boards were still not designed for inverted cooling. The biggest gripe I have with the inverted layout in the v1000 is the fact that it places the CPU socket way too close to the tray in the mid-section of the case and prevents you from using large heatsinks like the TRUE with certain motherboards, especially nVidia chipset ones.

Well I don't know what FSB speeds and voltages you're running on your P35 board but I can tell you that when you're pushing 500Mhz+ FSB on the P35/X38/X48 chipset boards the Northbridge and Southbridge start getting rather hot and that's why you see so many people over at forums like xtremesystems replacing the heatpipes and stock coolers with aftermarket coolers and watercooling and it's not cause they're all temp freaks it's cause the chipset is too hot to be stable. With the proper wicks in the heatpipes it may not make a huge difference in heat transfer but the boards were still not designed for inverted cooling. The biggest gripe I have with the inverted layout in the v1000 is the fact that it places the CPU socket way too close to the tray in the mid-section of the case and prevents you from using large heatsinks like the TRUE with certain motherboards, especially nVidia chipset ones.

anyone know the prices on the new cases?

whats the average price for these cases?

I really wish they offered a silver version like they did in previous models, and I'm hoping they have a replacement side panel without the window. The extra space for the power supply is great, even though I'm not sure I like the way it juts out the back. I had to use a Dremel to remove the divider between the drive section and the HD section inside my first gen PC-V1000 to get my power supply to fit which worked but changed the noise level of the case significantly.

I kinda like the side panel of the PC-V1000Z but would like it to be on the PC-V1010 which doesn't have the perforated front panel... But these will be way too much for me to afford. :(

ETA for new case availability according to sundialmicro.com is 4/30/08

I'd actually prefer a newer non-rATX V2000 as it'd allow me to mount a larger radiator up to. As is I had to mount a 2x120 in a 3x120 hole just to get my topmost video card to clear, and that's requiring me to move pretty much everything else in order to bottom mount the 3x120 rad. Frustrating to say the least.

Why's everyone lamenting the loss of rATX exactly?

Hmm Sundialmicro.com does not have the PC-V1000Z listed, they have the other new cases though. Has anyone found another site that has it listed, or maybe even for preorder? I am waiting for this case to start my new build.

Just got a reply from Sundialmicro.com

Hello, Mike:

Thank you for your inquire.

Yes, we will carry V1000Z and the ETA is approximately 3rd week or end of May. We will email you the notice when the V1000Z available.

Thank you and please let us know if you have any questions.

Was hoping it would be in sooner than that :(.

I'm so glad the new cases are coming out in time for my build this summer. :cool:

<3 lian-li

Why's everyone lamenting the loss of rATX exactly?

Because gpus these days put out more heat than cpus and in rATX the gpu is above the cpu so the hottest part of the case is at the top instead of at the bottom.

In ATX the heat rises off of gpu and goes into the cpu area which then increases the cpu temp.

i like them both better than my v1000b plus 2 w. i dont particularly like or dislike ratx. i havent read this whole thread, but i think a huge improvement is the reset button. i wonder if either of them will come in the v1100 type config, with a front door and soundproofing?

edit yes they have. it has a lot of changes and some nice innovations.

http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/pro..._index=210&cl_index=1&sc_index=26&ss_index=66

i like them both better than my v1000b plus 2 w. i dont particularly like or dislike ratx. i havent read this whole thread, but i think a huge improvement is the reset button. i wonder if either of them will come in the v1100 type config, with a front door and soundproofing?

edit yes they have. it has a lot of changes and some nice innovations.

http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/pro..._index=210&cl_index=1&sc_index=26&ss_index=66

I have been waiting about a month for that one lol

Because gpus these days put out more heat than cpus and in rATX the gpu is above the cpu so the hottest part of the case is at the top instead of at the bottom.

In ATX the heat rises off of gpu and goes into the cpu area which then increases the cpu temp.

I guess my thought process is atypical because I watercool everything. CPU, GPUs. Northbridge, shortly. I'd prefer the CPU were toward the top, as that allows for me to fit a larger radiator with two or more GPUs in SLI. Components around the CPU (especially toward the bottom/top edge of the board, generally speaking) are substantially shorter. It also eliminates the issue of ambient heat rising from the GPUs. For me rATX is actually a bad thing, unless the case in question is set up to hold at least 1 3x120 and 1 2x120 radiator, or better.

I'm actually considering selling my V2000B Plus II and getting one of those RocketFish cases for ~$50 from BestBuy because it is more watercooling friendly, crazy as that may seem.

Yes, we will carry V1000Z and the ETA is approximately 3rd week or end of May. We will email you the notice when the V1000Z available.

Like i said nearly month ago :

By the way, according to the shop where i usually buy the cases, these cases cannot be expected in Europe sooner than end of may. He said there was no shipment of these cases to Europe so far, and it takes 5-6 weeks for ship to travel from China to Germany (EU headquarters of Lian Li).

:)

I'm actually considering selling my V2000B Plus II and getting one of those RocketFish cases for ~$50 from BestBuy because it is more watercooling friendly, crazy as that may seem.

I'll be running around today trying to locate one myself for a future watercooling system (my first!) but I'm definitely keeping my V1000; I absolutely love this case. :)

I'm strongly tempted to go with the PC-V1010A, what are the difference between that and the V1000Z? I definitely don't want the side-window and I don't see a silver option for the Z model.

Back