2008, a terrible year for PC gaming.

2008 has been better than 2003... lets just be thankful for that.

2003 was one of the worst years I've ever seen for PC gaming. The only good releases for the PC that year were Splinter Cell (didn't like it) Rainbow Six 3: RS (decent at best) and Tron 2.0. Max Payne 2 was arguably GOTY.

Stop whining.

Some of my all time favourites were released in 2003.

Prince of Persia Sands of Time
Wolfenstein Enemy Territory
Call of Duty
Max Payne 2, as you said

Hmm, I thought it was pretty good myself.

I agree, 2008 was pretty decent compared to the past 2 to 3 years due to all the 360 love and Vista hate PC gaming had to deal with. It appears that PC gaming started to recover this year. I've bought A LOT of PC games the past few months. While I continue to try and enjoy my consoles I just don't. The gaming experience is just not as entertaining/engrossing as my PC games are.

I do agree with one comment, that devs need to step up and be innovative again. This issue is also affecting the console side. Hopefully PC gaming will see some upstart developers to replace the older PC devs who went console just to make a quick buck and forgotten how to create fun, technologically advanced, unique games.

Using those to compare 1080P to other native resolutions that LCD monitors display. I don't think this guy understands that nearly every AAA console title renders the games at or under 720P and just up-scales to fill the whole 1080P resolution.

I felt PC gaming was dry, however I think its just because I thought the best years were 2004-2005, and then WoW kind of killed it for me until late 2007. I think there were just as many big releases this year as any other year, however they didn't seem as well conceived by the developer or well received by the public. And a lot of games got bumped back to 2009.

My two favorites for the year were Mass Effect and GRID. Although I purchased a lot of games from 2007 in 2008 so it was a decent year all in all.

2008 was a great year for pc gaming imho. STALKER CS, Fallout 3, The Witcher Enhanced Edition, Left 4 dead, COD 5, Hells Highway, WoW WOTLK, FarCry 2, Mass Effect, GRID, Dead Space, and sins of a solar empire. Not to mention 2008 is probably one of the best years in recent history to build/upgrade your computer due to the amazing prices and hardware innovations this past year.

Cant dare to call this a bad year when I had Stalker CS and Left 4 Dead to play, these games remind me of how good PC Gaming can be.

This forum is awesome. I make a thread using a very neutral tone, and by page 4, everyone is bitching and moaning at eachother. Actually, by post two it came to that.

Here's where the glory began:

I wish there was a laughing smiley. Way to contribute to the fact that almost every thread on this forum degrades into a prepubescent shout fest.

You come here trolling and then tell people their acting like 12 year olds?

This thread is an epic fail...using subjective feelings about games as an absolute :rolleyes:

/thread

I think PC gamers just whine the most.

I agree. Not meant as a flame, but seriously, it stems from the amount of money needed to build a good gaming computer. You spend $1K on a system with a $400 vid card, it would be natural to be a little more critical (and vocal.)

L4D and Fallout 3 sucked the most

You just broke my heart. :(

I loved Left 4 Dead. I currently attend and lead the PC Gaming club of Florida Tech, and it's all we've been playing at our LAN's. It's sincerely a fun game.

You just broke my heart. :(

I loved Left 4 Dead. I currently attend and lead the PC Gaming club of Florida Tech, and it's all we've been playing at our LAN's. It's sincerely a fun game.

Yeah L4D is pretty epic. Valves done it again, I never shoulda doubted em. TF2 looks lame, you play it and you have a blast. L4D looked pretty medeocre, yet its just a total blast. I think I'm just going to start buying their stuff unconditionally.

I can't get enough of L4D and COD:WAW zombies, and these are the only 2 games from 2008 I bought. I'm sure I would like fallout 3 if I played it.

It was spotty between releases sometimes, but Withcer EE, LOTRO:MoM, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3 and Tomb Raider Underworld are all fighting for my time right now and that is just the last few weeks.

Fallout 3 and L4D are my favorite 2008 PC games.

Do hope to see what's in store for 2009.

If you think PC gaming this year was bad, try Wii gaming. I mean, M&M's Cart Racing? FFS...

I actually thought the games released for PC this year showed promise, and that maybe I should start upgrading my rig again, until I started reading that I don't actually own a game that I pay $50 for, but instead I own "5 installs" of said game. If you think this is acceptable, which some of you do as evidenced by your paying for such a thing, then nothing more can be said or done and this is the end of PC gaming. I have enough of a back catalog of PC games to last me several years if I really wanted it to, and my console backlog would last me another several years. Game makers aren't getting my money until they start taking their meds...

If COD4 was a 2008 game then it was a good year.

If the highlight of the year is just Warhead. FO3, L4D, WAW (which imo wasn't good), FC2, RA3 (a letdown, again) that people keep renaming, then I'd say we've had better years than this.

I think we have been spoiled as PC gamers by great titles. I think that they aren't bad games, they just dont live up to our expectations. that being said, I have seen hell, and its name is Clive Barker's Jericho.

I keep seeing people talk about the awful state of PC gaming, and quite frankly I don't think we're playing on the same platform. There are certain genres that are in decline, to be sure, but this has been the case for decades. Genres come and go, but the platform endures. People complain about how much RPG's and FPS's are becoming "consolized", but fail to notice that RTS and Adventure games (two genres that were all but dead 5 years ago) have managed full scale comebacks in the last few years. And don't even get me started on the indie scene. The shear volume of quality games and new ideas being put out by independent developers today is simply astounding (and often times free). If you're ignoring the indie scene, you're ignoring 90% of what's really happening with PC games today.

If you're ignoring the indie scene, you're ignoring 90% of what's really happening with PC games today.

QFT! I see the indie scene along with MMO's as being the strong suit of PC gaming going forward.

This is not the late 90's that we all loved. Gaming has changed. I miss the golden age of PC gaming, but there are some very good console titles to explore now. Kinda sucks, but thats just the way of things.

don't forget to add warhammer online and COD5 to the list. left4dead was probably the only decent game, wasn't worth a $50 price tag though. I've fallen back to CS:S, L4D, and TF2 to keep me busy.

whats sad is I'm looking forward to BF heroes.

I would say PC was better than console for me it has more games I played or wanted to play.

You know why 2008 was so terrible? Another long year without ANY DAMN NEWS ABOUT HL2 EP3. Seriously Valve, did you go on vacation and forget to tell us? I guess thats what I get for expecting something from someone who treats deadlines like a millionare treats pennies. Dicks.
Yeah, because they told you they had a deadline and promised you news, right?

They dont need teasers for anyone, or deadlines, the entire HL franchise is a fucking gold-mine that's not losing value. They have us by the balls, we're here itching for teasers and not even asking for a nail more. They've done this for nearly every big game they release, and it's worked in their favor every time.

I mean, I am still playing Oblivion. The mods have made this game last. Fallout 3 will be the same.

The console world is and always has been all about big releases and in your face marketing. The game of the week so to speak. PC gaming has always attracted the older players.

These are some excellent PC titles out there. The COD series, TES/Oblivion, FO3, STALKER series, Flight Simulator (RIP, someone will pick it up), Crysis series (you CAN'T get that on a console), Civ series (still play CivII from time to time), Sim City 4 (still going strong), Cities XL (gonna be AWESOME), Tons of RTS games, EVE, WOW..... the list goes on. Variety is the soul of PC gaming and that is as true today as it was in the late 80's when PC gaming was dying... lol.

I think the biggest problem with PC gaming today is that we have lost sight of what makes games fun. Does anyone remember the first game you played on your pc? Remember how much fun you had? If your anything like me, you want that feeling again. When everything seemed great even when it wasnt.
I think we have been swamped with so-so titles that take our attention away from what is good. And another thing, I do think good is a matter of opinion. What one likes, some might not. And some games are liked by all.

1997-1998 were the best years in PC gaming history.

QFT

Diablo
Mario Kart 64
SOTN
Star Fox 64
Goldeneye
FF7
Fallout
AOE
Quake II
Gran Turismo
Resident evil2
Tekken3
StarCraft
Metal gear solid
Fallout 2
Xenogears
Half life
Zelda Ocarina of time

QFT

Diablo
Mario Kart 64
SOTN
Star Fox 64
Goldeneye
FF7
Fallout
AOE
Quake II
Gran Turismo
Resident evil2
Tekken3
StarCraft
Metal gear solid
Fallout 2
Xenogears
Half life
Zelda Ocarina of time

+1

And don't forget FFT, which was overshadowed by FF7's phenomenal success. Also on the Neo Geo arcade side of things, The King of Fighters '97 and '98 (my two personal favorites in the series). I've never played ANY of these games you and I mentioned until sometime after 2000. Now that I think about it, I missed one hell of a period in video game history.

The fuck is that supposed to mean? If you feel like you need to dumb things down to address people here, chief, mayhaps you should find yourself a more high-falutin' forum to peruse. I like how your entry on Age of Conan doesn't even have anything about the game, just that it got crushed by WoW within a few months, which clearly makes it a terrible game. The focus on activation limits for almost every single other entry in your list makes me extremely curious as to how many of these titles you actually purchased.

Er, I mean...played.

Wow dude. I think you just made his point. Everyone's post on this forum is so angry for no reason. Like your life sucks so you let it out on random people on the forum. Wow..

The same with this other clown who said, "We see this thread every year, blah blah blah. Don't like it? Go become a game programmer".

What a stupid thing to say. How about, if you don't like the thread title, maybe you shouldn't click on it, and then respond to it.

I do agree with a lot of the of games. There really seems to be a lack of content in games. Left 4 Dead is alright but I wish it was a little big longer. I hope they don't try to nickle and dime us with DLC shit either that might have been free long ago. 2009 seems to be something to look forward to but maybe not for PC Gamers. I don't know, I think a lot of games suffer port syndrome and have a lot of glitches, are tied to steam -not always a bad thing-, or have a lot of performance issues. We'll have to wait and see.

2008 was an "average" year. Dragon Age is the one game that I'm constantly (daily) thinking about and drooling for. I crave a GOOD modern RPG...

As far as the comment about HL2 EP3... after playing Crysis (as much as I RAG on it for being far more mediocre than it could have been (the aliens)).... I can't stand the valve tunnel FPS format anymore.

I'm also craving for the download of empire total war to be complete, hopefully I can try that out tonight.

+1

And don't forget FFT, which was overshadowed by FF7's phenomenal success. Also on the Neo Geo arcade side of things, The King of Fighters '97 and '98 (my two personal favorites in the series). I've never played ANY of these games you and I mentioned until sometime after 2000. Now that I think about it, I missed one hell of a period in video game history.

NO, 1988-1993 was THE era... ;)

Man, now that I look back at it... 2008 was a horrible year for gaming. Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, and Age of Conan were of my least favorite.

Left 4 Dead was fun for about ten minutes and so was Fallout 3.
Age of Conan was just terrible because Funcom promised too much and killed the game.

Meh.

Back