2005 ACC Football

SidewinderX

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

With my football shooting season almost definitly over, I wanted to post a little "best of" thread for myself.... Please give me as many constructive crits as possible... these will probably be the photos I use when I go talk to my local newspaper looking for a little job over winter and summer breaks. And if I decide to do the SportsShooter thing I'll probably use these for my portfolio.

Anyway, thanks ahead of time!
Virginia Cavaliers fullback Jason Snelling cuts back for a touchdown in the Cavaliers 51-3 victory over Temple in Charlottesville, VA on 11/5/05.
snelling_1_filtered.jpg

Virginia Cavaliers tailback Wali Lundy rushes for a touchdown during the Cavaliers 27-17 win over Georgia Tech in Charlottesville, VA on 11/12/05.

lundy_3_filtered.jpg

Virginia Cavaliers kicker Conner Hughes kicks and extra point during the Cavaliers 27-17 win over Georgia Tech in Charlottesville, VA on 11/12/05.
hughes_1.jpg

Virginia Cavaliers wide receiver Deyon Williams reaches for a touchdown during the Cavaliers 27-17 win over Georgia Tech in Charlottesville, VA on 11/12/05.
IMG_6424_filtered.jpg

Virginia Cavaliers wide reciver Fontel Mines avoids a tackle in the Cavaliers 52-14 loss to Virginia Tech in Charlottesville, VA on 11/19/05
mines_1.jpg

Virginia Cavaliers tailback Wali Lundy rushes for a touchdown during the Cavaliers 52-14 loss to Virginia Tech in Charlottesville, VA on 11/19/05
lundy_1.jpg

Virginia Cavaliers quarterback Marques Hagans passes the ball during the Cavaliers 27-17 win over Georgia Tech in Charlottesville, VA on 11/12/05.
hagans_1_filtered.jpg

The first shot is awesome, I love the expression on the guy's face.

Couple technical questions, what lens were you using, and how were you focusing?

fugu said:
The first shot is awesome, I love the expression on the guy's face.

Couple technical questions, what lens were you using, and how were you focusing?

All of these were taken with my 300D and my 200/f2.8L. For the most part I just use the center autofocus point. The 300D's AF is not that great, so using all the AF point would just result in alot of OoF shots.

ya man, that's good work. Were you pushing a pretty quick ISO to get those shots too? The first shot is the best. :)

the first few are ISO400, the nighttime Ga. Tech one is ISO800, and the Va. Tech ones are ISO 200.

Those are extremely good shots. If I may ask, how did you get sideline passes to college games? Do you work for a news organization, are you a stringer, or maybe a booster...?

Just wondering because I am trying to do the same myself.

Killer shots by the way. I think they all look great. I'm especially suprised you were able to pull that off with a 300D with no real AI Servo and that those low-ISO sensitivities were able to still give you usable "action freezing" shutter speeds even at f/2.8. Good job.

-----Nate

Well I gotta say I am not a fan of your main subject matter (I am a Hokie ;)).

But those are some really nice shots, you have any good ones of the Hokies making a good hit on the Cavaliers? Cause I know there was a few during that game ;)

nweibley:
I shot these for the Athletic Media Relations Department here at UVA. I approached them and got a pass for one game, and they liked my shots and I got passes for the rest of the home games. They're currently trying to work me into some of the basketball games (the school hires a professional freelancer usually). And they didn't entirley rule out sending me to our bowl game..... ;)

m1abram said:
Well I gotta say I am not a fan of your main subject matter (I am a Hokie ;)).

But those are some really nice shots, you have any good ones of the Hokies making a good hit on the Cavaliers? Cause I know there was a few during that game ;)

Well, all I have to say is that you lost to unranked, 7-4 FSU, whom we beat when they were undefeated. :)

Here are some more shots from that game...

CRW_6680-01.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg

IMG_6766.jpg

copper_1.jpg

vick_1.jpg

I personally don't like vick (your vick). He doesn't seem like a stong leader at all. Anyway, I might be biased because Bryan Randall went to my high school. He was a really cool guy. I really hope that some NFL team picks him up.

Thanks for the extra VT shots.

Yes I know we lost to FSU, that was a fun damn game to watch though even though we lost.

I am not a Vick fan either, I dont think he is mature enough to lead the team, and he has yet to show he can though a long ball, seems he is ALWAYS over shooting his recievers. And I agree with you on Randall, was a damn fine player and made for a good team leader.

Back