2001fp: What is Tom on...

MartinX

One Hour Martinizing While You Wait
...and where can I get some?

So Toms hardware has a new TFT group review up, included is dells 2001fp.
Overall he heaps it with praise, but says it's not much good for gaming, he even likens it to 25ms monitors.

What?

I'm in the fortunate position of having a Dell 2001fp, which I like very much, and use for gaming pretty much primarily, in fact when I read the review I had just finished playing UT2004, which is pretty fast paced.

So here's my problem, my second monitor is a Hyundai q17, which Tom rates as being very good for gaming and was my only real frame of reference, I'd be hard pressed to say that the Dell is significantly better than the q17 in terms of ghosting/afterglow, but it is certainly no worse, and both suited my needs just fine, I can't imagine going back to a CRT now for any reason.

Is this another 172x thing, where he's been given the wrong monitor? or is he just nuts?

Everybody knows toms reviews are to be taken with a grain of salt. You have what you like, and nothing he says will convince you otherwise. Stick with what works.

By the way I love your sig. Reality is brutal.

Unfortunately pixel response quality is going to be a pretty subjective thing. I've generally had a hard time with www.tomshardware.com's LCD reviews so I dont tend to bother with them much.

In every review I’ve read and almost all personal experience I've heard the 2001fp is an excellent gaming monitor with no or an extremely low amount of ghosting.

Sure you'll have the die hard CRT using hardcore fps player who says they see can ghosting.

Even in my own personal experience with the 2001fp I didn’t notice any ghosting or blurring.

As always be skeptical of tom, I’m sure we all know that by now.

paladin0 said:
In every review I’ve read and almost all personal experience I've heard the 2001fp is an excellent gaming monitor with no or an extremely low amount of ghosting.

Sure you'll have the die hard CRT using hardcore fps player who says they see can ghosting.

Even in my own personal experience with the 2001fp I didn’t notice any ghosting or blurring.

As always be skeptical of tom, I’m sure we all know that by now.

I just bought a new crt after agonizing over going lcd or not and the biggest determining factor for me turned out not to be pixel response (which at 16ms is finally 'good enough' for my standards) but the fixed resolution. 1600x1200 is simply too punishing of a resolution and I dont like the muddy look that interpolating to smaller sizes leads too.

The scaling on the 2001fp is noticably better than on the q17 (presumably because of the smaller pixel pitch or whatever), it's still terrible though, it nearly makes it look as blurry as a crt.

But not quite ;)

Guys, its a genuine “Tom’s” review. His facts are, as usual, subjective at best. You expected more? :rolleyes:

BillR :D

Surly said:
Unfortunately pixel response quality is going to be a pretty subjective thing. I've generally had a hard time with www.tomshardware.com's LCD reviews so I dont tend to bother with them much.

That's like saying sound is a subjective thing; it can still be measured pretty accurately.

Check out www.xbitlabs.com's LCD reviews. No, they don't review the Dell models, but they have some excellent pixel response measurements with plenty of explanation on their technique.

Also, anyone who is blindly thrashing Tom's is just retarded. OMG IT'S POSTED ON TOM'S IT MUST BE A LIE! Yeah, whatever. Their pixel response is pretty subjective, yes, but their LCD reviews overall aren't bad. Their contrast measurements are pretty useful.

And quite frankly, I find the 2100fp overpriced and overrated.

I didn't know Tom's was still around...

I thought no one even visited their site anymore....

Well, I made the mistake of getting a Hercules Prophetview Pro 920 DVI which Toms loved. Absolutely horrible for games, and I returned it, and got a Dell 2001 fp. Much better in my opinion. Ghosts a whole lot less. But things are subjective.

Neurofreeze said:

Also, anyone who is blindly thrashing Tom's is just retarded. OMG IT'S POSTED ON TOM'S IT MUST BE A LIE! Yeah, whatever. Their pixel response is pretty subjective, yes, but their LCD reviews overall aren't bad. Their contrast measurements are pretty useful.

And quite frankly, I find the 2100fp overpriced and overrated.

I don't hate Tom's, and wouldn't usually thrash his reviews, It's just that this was one of the few instances where I am in a position to directly compare two products that he has evaluated, and based on my personal experience there is an inexplicable divergence between his judgement on the two products in one area.

Oh and Overrated?
I don't think so.

Overpriced?
Most definately (especially when you look at Dells price for the 2001fp on this side of the Atlantic...*cough*$1500*cough*).

But you can't win 'em all.

Ultra Wide said:

The site was mostly about the forum (back when Prospero was Delphi/free).

But I honestly don't know how much more Aceman ("non-sexual" and willing to freely admit it several times during a discussion about anything at all) the world could handle.

This was back when zealots were saying the four chip 3dfx (Voodoo 5 6000 or something) cards would spell the end for Nvidia.

This was also back when K6-3s were proclaimed to be "the final nail in Intel's coffin". Words usually typed by BuzzLOL.

This was also when overclocking a Celeron 300A to 504MHz was an earth-moving orgasm.

This was when I coined the term "3dfect" to describe the counterpart to the "Nvidiots". Most of us just called them losers.

This was five years ago. Tom's been irrelevant for at least that long.

Ultra Wide said:

LOL you know what I truly believed he was finally exposed for his biased reviews once and for all. I've not been to his site in 3 years.

I too ditched my 2001fp after being sent a grand total of 3, all with dead pixels.... and the fact that I didn't like having to run EVERYTHING in 1600x1200... if the 1280x1024 interpolation would have been decent I would've stuck with it - that was not the case however. If your system cannot handle every game in 1600x1200, then this monitor is not for you. I wish Dell still made their 1702fp - I'd snatch one of those up in a heartbeat - the display is pristine on every one of them I've seen..

Tom is funny. I'd rather listen to my 5 years old sister for hardware recommendation

"BuzzLOL" ??
Yeah I remember Buzz on Tom's CPU forum defending AMD against all Intel zealots. He was a riot. always posting his arguments, but was never mean to anyone----he was just a total AMD zealot. That was 3 yrs ago. I left, never went back; well, actually I did a few times but place has changed.
I have no problem with screen-pic 'quality' when running a digital LCD (not analog LCD) at a lower rez.
I'm waiting patiently for the 23" 16ms Benq to hit USA; has anyone here seen one yet?
(btw, where's our post count?)

The Titan said:
Everybody knows toms reviews are to be taken with a grain of salt.

heh, I dont even give him that cuz everyone knows he's the kind of hardware manufacturer bribery (sp?).

Rim said:
"BuzzLOL" ??
Yeah I remember Buzz on Tom's CPU forum defending AMD against all Intel zealots. He was a riot. always posting his arguments, but was never mean to anyone----he was just a total AMD zealot. That was 3 yrs ago. I left, never went back; well, actually I did a few times but place has changed.
I have no problem with screen-pic 'quality' when running a digital LCD (not analog LCD) at a lower rez.
I'm waiting patiently for the 23" 16ms Benq to hit USA; has anyone here seen one yet?
(btw, where's our post count?)
Well someone has to i guess. Isn't Tom an Intel zealot?

Back