$2000 gaming laptops

iHatePants

n00b
Im starting college in September and I'll be needing a laptop for my course (IT security). But I've been wanting a gaming PC for sooooooooo long. So I figured I try my best to get a laptop that I can use at school but also play games on it at home.

Im looking to run Oblivion, Battlefield 2 and up and coming games on my laptop. I want them to run on atleast medium setting graphics and I want my laptop to be upgradeable for the future.

I can only spend $2000 (perhaps a little more if it's worth it)

This seems to be the best thing I can find,

http://www.maingear.com/ProductCart/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=487

Suggestions?

Maingear is a great company - we really like them.

If you're on a strict budget, though, you can get a lot more for your money elsewhere.

ViciousPC has a $2000-2400 laptop that has a Core Duo and a 7900GTX. Dell's XPS laptops are very competitive pricewise, and we like some of the changes in Dell's support. We had a very good experience with our last Dell XPS laptop.

Gateway also has some nice gaming laptops for less than $2000. ABS usually has a pretty nice selection, as well, and are very competitively priced.

Oh NOes! Were forgetting about Sager! Those crazy clevo resellers. They have very nice gaming lappies... well I think all their lappys are gaming machines. Theres the 3k "Beast" that is pretty much a moble desktop. But if you want some crazy performance, with less heat , and a 17 in Wide Screen, then the 5760 is for you! Take a look at Sagernotebooks.com, which is the main company. There are the resellers which are also very reliable with great tech support such as discountlaptops.com and powernotebooks.com. Here lets see some stats i can come up with...

17" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) Glare (Glossy) Type Display
Pentium DUO 1.83GHz Processor (Yonah / 2 MB L2 Cache / 667 FSB)
Artic Silver 5 (AS5) Thermal CPU Paste Compound
nVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX w/512MB (ETA: 7/5/06)
1024 MB DDR2 (667 MHz) Memory (512 MB x 2)
80 GB Hard Drive (5400 RPM) SATA
8X DVD / 24X CDRW / 24X CD-ROM Combo Drive w/ Software
Integrated V.90/56K Modem (V.92 compliant)
10/100/1000BASE-TX Fast Ethernet on boardLAN Card
Internal Intel 3945ABG 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN
8-cell Smart Lithium Ion Battery
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MSPro)
Integrated 1.3M Digital Video Camera
Ac Adapter w/ power cord included
Free Carry Case
Microsoft Windows XP-Home Installed, recovery CD included
1-year parts / 1-year labor warranty from Sager
Lifetime toll-free technical support by calling 800-741-2219 (or 626-964-4849)
+ another
Limited On-site Extended Warranty & Help Desk Options Options (Begins after factory warranty ends)
1-Year Limited On-site Extended Warranty & Help Desk
and
Optional LCD or Accidental Damage Protection (ADP) Warranty (Begins 1st day of laptop ownership)
1-Year Accidental Damage Protection (ADP) for entire system

Comes up to a grand total of $ 2412 US !!

OOoo.. Looks good w/ graphics 7900 GTX 512 MB of vid ram! You'll be gaming at full settings for a while

If maybe that costs a little too much for you and you would like something smaller.. maybe 15.4 in screen and uh.
Try the ASUS S96j Lots of ppl love it. it comes with a x1600 for your gaming needs. Im not sure about the resellers, but i think powernotebooks.com and gentech.com sells em

Sorry dont know much about the ASUS, i only researched about the gaming monsters because im going to get one for college next month
:D

You'll be happier with an SFF. Sure, you're not going to carry it to class, but I'm willing to bet you won't be carrying your DTR laptop to class after the first week or two either.

eastvillager said:
You'll be happier with an SFF. Sure, you're not going to carry it to class, but I'm willing to bet you won't be carrying your DTR laptop to class after the first week or two either.
yeah..those gaming laptops are relatively heavy; they usually weigh in around 7-8 lbs i think

Dark Prodigy said:
Everyone else is second in comparison...and yes, the extra is worth it.

Voodoo Envy
I really like the guys at Voodoo, but you have to remember that boutiques rely on ODMs for their laptop designs, and more often than not you can find the same chassis from another vendor.

Chris_Morley said:
I really like the guys at Voodoo, but you have to remember that boutiques rely on ODMs for their laptop designs, and more often than not you can find the same chassis from another vendor.

So... besides the stellar paint job and the like, and maybe some optimizations, there could easily be no difference in laptops from vendor to vendor? Therefore quite possibly saving a quite a sum of money....

Is this why laptops from boutique vendors are not as competitively priced as.., say those from Dell or Acer...with comparative performance and screen size..? Hmmm....

Dark Prodigy said:
So... besides the stellar paint job and the like, and maybe some optimizations, there could easily be no difference in laptops from vendor to vendor? Therefore quite possibly saving a quite a sum of money....

Is this why laptops from boutique vendors are not as competitively priced as.., say those from Dell or Acer...with comparative performance and screen size..? Hmmm....
Yes to your first point.

And in the case of Acer and Dell, I know that Dell now designs their laptops from the ground up - and in the case of both Acer and Dell, economies of scale keeps prices down. Boutiques usually have to go through a distributor like Prostar or Eurocom, adding another "middleman" between them and the consumer.

thinking about buying an aopen 1559
xbitlabs has a review up
can't beat the bragging rights and also the salutes to the big box oems by going that route
gl hth p

Back