$200 Target Gift Card for Trade in of ANY iPad

SO tempted. I have a 32gb mini that I love, but iOS7 has been a bit of a performance bear. I just don't want to be without it, not knowing when the new minis will drop.

Rumors are saying the 22nd for the Mini... But yea, who knows. :/

P.S.
She said Target (the mobile associates don't actually work for target by the way) is extremely enthusiastic about the sale and would like the word spread as much as humanly possible, she even asked me to come to Hardforum and Slickdeals (since it came up that I frequent those sites) to clarify details on the deal as well as making a post on Facebook to get the word out.

This is interesting. I wonder what their total dollar cost (Cost of GCs - tax break?) is.

This is interesting. I wonder what their total dollar cost (Cost of GCs - tax break?) is.

I'd be really interested in knowing that too... Although it wouldn't surprise me if Target was taking a pretty big hit. Out of most of the major department stores, they're pretty well known for making very large donations (compared to their profits).

Traded in my iPad 1 today at the local Target here. I was behind 6 people in line when I arrived at the store, and the mobile associate said he'd been doing basically nothing but iPad trade-ins all day (he showed me the stack of paperwork, there had to be at least 100 trade-ins.) Got the gift card, but they were pretty well cleaned out on their stock of iPads. I think if I am getting another iPad at this point (I'd go for a Nexus 7 if they had them but they aren't in stores and the website shows out of stock) I'm holding out for a Retina Mini though.

Traded in my iPad 1 today at the local Target here. I was behind 6 people in line when I arrived at the store, and the mobile associate said he'd been doing basically nothing but iPad trade-ins all day (he showed me the stack of paperwork, there had to be at least 100 trade-ins.) Got the gift card, but they were pretty well cleaned out on their stock of iPads. I think if I am getting another iPad at this point (I'd go for a Nexus 7 if they had them but they aren't in stores and the website shows out of stock) I'm holding out for a Retina Mini though.

I think I am going to try to use the giftcard to get a visa giftcard and then get a Nexus 7.

I had a long conversation with a mobile associate at Target. It's not a mistake and it's not going to be taken down. It is a PLANNED promotion that will be going on until the 9th. They are doing it to get people in the door and holiday shopping BEFORE black Friday. This is why it only works in the store. They want you in the door. If you try to do it online it will give you the normal prices for an iPad turn in ($65 for a 16gb wifi first gen or $75 for a 64gb wifi first gen like you noticed...)

Think of it this way... You turn in your iPad and get $200... Since it's on a Target gift card you are almost guaranteed to use it at Target. If you buy a new iPad that's an extra $320 on top of the $200 you'll be spending at Target... And what about a new smart cover for your iPad, gotta have one of those, and since you're already at Target why not buy it there (another $40 in Target's pocket). Then finally... Target donates all those crappy first gen iPads to charity (in this case an organization for autistic children) and receives a huge tax break.

Sounds like win win for everyone.

P.S.
She said Target (the mobile associates don't actually work for target by the way) is extremely enthusiastic about the sale and would like the word spread as much as humanly possible, she even asked me to come to Hardforum and Slickdeals (since it came up that I frequent those sites) to clarify details on the deal as well as making a post on Facebook to get the word out.

Thanks for the clarification, I can confirm when I went last night this was also the case. He showed me the computer with the card amount and there was no mistake on it!

Traded my wife's in last night and will be back with our 2 older iPhone 4s. They are giving 165 gift cards for each so I guess I know where I will be doing some holiday shopping at.

Does anyone know how much they scrutinize on condition? We're thinking of trading in my wife's iPad 1, which is in very good condition. However, I also have an iPad 2 that I'm thinking of trading in. The screen is perfectly fine, but I did drop it once which dented the corner? Has anyone traded one in with any dents or chips on the sides? How much value do they take off? Or is the only thing I need to worry about is screen condition?

Does anyone know how much they scrutinize on condition?

I am just getting back from taking my wife's 1st gen iPad to the Target 1504 store in Wake Forest, NC. The Target Mobility guy (dressed in a black shirt as oppose to the normal red shirt Target employees, and hanging around the cell phones) just turned the iPad on and looked at it once it was lit up. He acted like he was going to do more but then realized it was an iPad 1. The screen image might has also thrown him as it was showing the "connect 30 pin to computer" reset screen. I had the original box with me and told him if he needed any numbers it would be on the box. Since the iPad's screen was in great condition (still had a plastic sticky screen protection sheet still on it) and it powered up, he readily accepted it and put it back in the box since nothing else was needed (To be eligible for trade in, the iPad must power on and screen must not be scratched). The reason the iPad had been reset was that somehow the 30 pin connector stopped working when hooked to a computer. it would still charge but no computer (I tried a few) would see the iPad when hooked to a USB port. So I am really glad this program happened since this iPad was basically worthless and hadn't been used in a year since my wife got her iPad mini last Christmas.

The Target Mobility guy said he did twenty iPad trade-ins yesterday and as I was finishing up mine, there was someone else waiting to trade his iPad 1 in. I was given a "Target Electronics Trade-in Card" with a November, 2022 expiration date. The Mobility guy said I could only use it for in-store purchases and it acted just like a credit card.. it has a sixteen number code like a credit card on it's backside. He also said it depended on the store whether the trade-in HAD to apply towards the purchase of a new iPad (trade in any iPad for at least $200 to use towards the purchase of a new iPad). This store gave the choice so I just got the card. I also received a "receipt sheet" that has some info about what to do if the card is lost or stolen. I did have to sign a paper but the whole thing took about ten minutes, mostly due to waiting for a couple of sheets to be printed. It was all easy peasy!

So just incase anyone else is feeling this pain.
"The Target Electronics Trade-In Card" is a strange thing. The Slickdeals Wiki on this deal states that it could possibly be used as a normal credit card once registered. I tried every possible way of getting it to work on Amazon but no dice. Back to Target I took the hit and got 2 $100 visa gift cards. These I was going to use on Amazon but again, no dice. On Amazon, only one visa gift card can be used per order. So I was screwed again, so no problem, I can get 2 $100 Amazon gift cards combine them and then I would be all set. Wrong. Apparently Amazon has some way of doing a $1 test charge, so you must have more on the visa gift card than the item you are buying? Whatever, I am going to use the giftcards for groceries and use real money for my nexus 7.

So just incase anyone else is feeling this pain.
"The Target Electronics Trade-In Card" is a strange thing. The Slickdeals Wiki on this deal states that it could possibly be used as a normal credit card once registered. I tried every possible way of getting it to work on Amazon but no dice. Back to Target I took the hit and got 2 $100 visa gift cards. These I was going to use on Amazon but again, no dice. On Amazon, only one visa gift card can be used per order. So I was screwed again, so no problem, I can get 2 $100 Amazon gift cards combine them and then I would be all set. Wrong. Apparently Amazon has some way of doing a $1 test charge, so you must have more on the visa gift card than the item you are buying? Whatever, I am going to use the giftcards for groceries and use real money for my nexus 7.

Buy two $99 gift cards at amazon?

Target Electronics Trade-In Card

This is what is written on the back on mine.. "Redeemable for merchandise or services at any Target store in the United States or Target.com"

Even though the card is issued by Bank of America, I was never under the impression it could be used for anything outside of Target. The Mobility guy basically said "Target has your money".

Just traded my gen1 16GB wifi one. The computer system just asks if there are any scratches/knicks, if it power on, and if all the buttons work. The process of filling out all the paperwork (for the rep) was pretty onerous considering how many people were waiting, but it is what it is.

Is anyone else slightly pissed off that a first gen ipad will get a 200$ trade in value, but my ipad4 will only get 225$? What the fuck..

Just took my 4 year old iPad 1 to Target and got my $200 card. I hated to turn in the old girl, since she was in perfect shape, but at 4 times the market value ya just can't turn it down.

Now, unfortunately every Target store within 100 miles of me is completely sold out of iPad Air's, so I'll have to wait a bit to actually use it :(

Just traded my gen1 16GB wifi one. The computer system just asks if there are any scratches/knicks, if it power on, and if all the buttons work. The process of filling out all the paperwork (for the rep) was pretty onerous considering how many people were waiting, but it is what it is.

I was in a line of 10. They had 7 new Air's in stock, mostly 16GB white, but a few in black.

I didn't get one :(

Got the card. Just have to wait for stock.

Last edited:
This is what is written on the back on mine.. "Redeemable for merchandise or services at any Target store in the United States or Target.com"

Even though the card is issued by Bank of America, I was never under the impression it could be used for anything outside of Target. The Mobility guy basically said "Target has your money".

Yeah, so I gave up getting my Nexus 7 from Amazon and just bought 2 target visa gift cards and bought my nexus at...*gulp*....Best Buy. I was overthinking this. :) or just being a derp more accurately.

The nexus is pretty sweet upgrade from a 1st gen iPad...

Traded in my 2nd Gen iPad in for $200. No Airs in stock anywhere. Time to play the waiting game.

Dammit, this sucks -- I'm overseas I can't take advantage of this deal. Not sure how long this deal will last.

The card is only good for an iPad purchase. That's what they told us.

I got lucky and snagged a lone 32gb black wifi that hit my target this morning.

Apple is definitely back in the game. This thing is awesome :)

Is this a bad deal if you're trading in an iPad 3?

The card is only good for an iPad purchase. That's what they told us.

I got lucky and snagged a lone 32gb black wifi that hit my target this morning.

Apple is definitely back in the game. This thing is awesome :)

The target store I went to just gave us a gift card good for anything. They had ipads in stock, too.

Is this a bad deal if you're trading in an iPad 3?

I think you're technically still getting more than normal trade-in at target, but if you sell it directly (via swappa or something) you'll get more than 200$

Wow, you can still get close to $300 for an iPad 3? Screw this "deal"!

Sweet. Took my 4 iPad 1's that have been collecting dust and got the cards. Had to go to 2 stores. First store was a guy in his 70's that would not take more than one. Went to another and no problem.

Thanks OP!!!

Got mine turned in today. They had a long line yesterday. Today there was no wait.

Well I just bought 3 Ipad 1's for $100 each in a bulk order. looks like $300 profit now :D

Those of you who couldn't pick up an iPad Air because of stock issues... On Black Friday they will be giving $100 gift cards out with the purchase of all iPads... Just throwing that out there.

Back