$200 budget, need quality PC speakers.

iv939

n00b
Hey guys, new guy here. Have been reading a ton on this forum about what speakers to get/not to get. Still can't make up my mind. I have a $200 budget and need a good set of PC speakers.

Current motherboard I have is the Foxconn A7DA-S with the Realtek ALC888GR audio chipset. I'm not an audiophile by any means but do wish to have a good set of sounding speakers for music(mostly techno/house, some hip-hop). If I can avoid getting a new sound card that would be great since I don't think I can get anything good within my budget.

Considering following 2.0 systems, both are brand new.
BEHRINGER MS40 40w ACTIVE POWERED STUDIO MONITORS
$129.99 shipped for pair (eBay)

M-Audio StudioPhile AV 40
$142.99 shipped for the pair(eBay)

Then I could use remainder of money to get perhaps an Audigy 2 ZS.

The last option is to purchase a Logitech Z-5500 system from a local guy for $190. The PID is 520, so it's made in week 20 of 2005 but he said they are in mint condition never pushed hard and sound awesome. This option would obviously make me keep my current on-board sound card with the possibility of getting a Audigy 2ZS in the future sometime.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

AV40 > MS40 >>>>> Z5500.

Get the AV40 or MS40, my preference is for the AV40. Please don't buy the Z5500.

AV40 > MS40 >>>>> Z5500.

Get the AV40 or MS40, my preference is for the AV40. Please don't buy the Z5500.

Thanks, finding reviews of the MS40 is bit diffuclt, while the AV40's have tons of them.

Another option I ran across is the Behringer TRUTH-B2031P.
but this website www.audiolines.com has them for a price of $179.99 and they are located an hour from where I live so I could go pick-up even.

EDIT: link to speakers : http://www.audiolines.com/Studio-Re...e-Studio-Monitors/Behringer-TRUTH-B2031P-Pair.

Last edited:
Swan M200MKII's

Hands down winners for that budget.

**edit**

Looks like they are $250 now at TAI. I bought them for $189 shipped a year ago from them. To bad.

Swan M200MKII's

Hands down winners for that budget.

**edit**

Looks like they are $250 now at TAI. I bought them for $189 shipped a year ago from them. To bad.

Plus they are out of stock.

The MKIII's which aren't shipping yet either are $400 (60 wpc though).

Should I even considering buying those used Z-5500's for 190. Only thing that worries me is they are one of the first ones made with that PID of 520..have gotten quite a few years of use already.

I'm considering the M-Audio StudioPhile AV 40 as well. Would you guys say there is anything better within 40-50$ of it's price?

I'm considering the M-Audio StudioPhile AV 40 as well. Would you guys say there is anything better within 40-50$ of it's price?

If the Swan M200MKII's come back to 190-ish then yes. The M200MKII's are worth the ~200 the sell for. However the AV40 and M200MKII are really meant for 2 different things IMO. One is an entry level studio monitor created for content creation, and the other is just a higher end multimedia set made for content consumption in mind.

EDIT: Oh and I like the M200MKII's wood finish.

Was rethinking this, considering getting something quite a bit cheaper. Found a set of Logitech Z-cinema for $95 brand new shipped. Best price online that I was able to find.

That or still considering the AV40's....I just want extreme clarity in the music I play + good bass. How are the AV40s in terms of clarity. I looked @ youtube for some reviews for the AV40s and they just sounded under powered in every video, decent clarity yes but no "umph" whatsoever.

my mate has the Logitech Z-cinema and it looks great on his desktop

i also like the fact it has a remote.

unlike my cheapo ones

Not an audiophile by any means, but per info that I found on this forum, I just bought the Swan D1080MKII's, and I've never been happier, they were $130 shipped from theaudioinsider.com, they sound great, even without a subwoofer, much better than my old Klipsch promedia 2.1's

From what I've heard about the Z-Cinema, the satellites are vastly improved but for some reason some engineer Logitech didn't realize you could lower the crossover point from 140hz to something lower like 120 or less, which is where the Klipsch Promedias are at. Too much midrange bleeds through the subwoofer. Still, it's probably the best speakers that Logitech makes. I think they were trying to compete with the Klipsch iFi by using aesthetics as the selling point.

From what I've heard about the Z-Cinema, the satellites are vastly improved but for some reason some engineer Logitech didn't realize you could lower the crossover point from 140hz to something lower like 120 or less, which is where the Klipsch Promedias are at. Too much midrange bleeds through the subwoofer. Still, it's probably the best speakers that Logitech makes. I think they were trying to compete with the Klipsch iFi by using aesthetics as the selling point.

but the Klipsch iFi actually looked good is the thing :p

OP:
don't take youtube videos as a way to judge a speaker set, theres so many issues with that its not even funny
I second (or third or whatever) the AV40's - they're nice speakers
the BX8's are nicer, but cost a bit more

if you have a Guitar Center or something near you, go ahead and take a trip there, you can probably demo out most of the M-Audio options for yourself, they'll probably also have Mackie, KRK, and perhaps Behringer monitors for you to try out

I was wondering, if I do get the AV40's what kind of sub can I wire to it? Can I wire car subs with an amp?

I seen a pair of 15" Memphis subs in a ported box going for $75 on craigslist, coupled with a good amp is this even at all possible?

If that's over kill, I could also find a good single 12" sub in ported box. Any input would be great, thanks.

I was wondering, if I do get the AV40's what kind of sub can I wire to it? Can I wire car subs with an amp?

I seen a pair of 15" Memphis subs in a ported box going for $75 on craigslist, coupled with a good amp is this even at all possible?

If that's over kill, I could also find a good single 12" sub in ported box. Any input would be great, thanks.

car audio :(

M-Audio makes a sub for their speakers, or you can purchase an HT sub and wire it in (look at Hsu, Polk, Dayton, Klipsch/Mirage, etc)

car audio :(

M-Audio makes a sub for their speakers, or you can purchase an HT sub and wire it in (look at Hsu, Polk, Dayton, Klipsch/Mirage, etc)

Yeah because M-Audio makes cheap subs..$400+ , I'll pass.

Yeah because M-Audio makes cheap subs..$400+ , I'll pass.
Why ask a question if you don't want the answer? He made good recommendations, Dayton has a good 10" sub for $99.99 shipped. It's boomy yes, but certainly better than what you're looking at.

Didn't mean to sound rude, I just took a look at M-Audio site and they only had one sub that was 499.99$ which is way out of budget.

I just won this auction :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320484243004&fromMakeTrack=true

Hopefully it's functional if not, as long as the amp is functioning, I've seen people put in 10" Rockford Fostages that sound good. $34 usd shipped, keeping my fingers crossed.

Will I be able to use this Z5500 sub with the AV40s? Thanks.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Z5500 subwoofer is useless without the control pod.

fairly sure this is correct; I say fairly because theres probably some way (with quite a bit of modification/voodoo) to get the sub making noise without its control box

but I really would consider such modification to be quite specialized ("extreme" DIY if you will)

but right out of the box, no, you cannot just mainline audio into the sub and go with it

There are custom made adapters available, but at $45, it's not worth it. $45 for the cable + $37 for the pos Z5500 subwoofer + $100 for the new subwoofer driver = should have just bought a real subwoofer to being with. :eek:

I'm looking into ways how to wire this with modification. If all goes to hell, I'm out $34 no big deal. I'm sure I can find someone who will buy the sub back from me for same price.

EDIT: Or I could just buy that system from the guy from my first post for $190 and run dual 10" subs :) IDKK so confused lol.

Another note: What do you guys think of Fostex PM0.4 monitors?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fostex-PM0.4-Powered-Studio-Monitors?sku=600682

or M-audio Studiophile BX5a Monitors for $205 shipped!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...Category=41784&_trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=2

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Close thread, bought a pair of Z-5500's. Mediocre quality, you guys were right.

Bought them locally from a person.

It's weird because my front L and R speakers are much quieter than the rear L and R.

I tried reversing the rears to the fronts and the problem continued. Double checked all wiring everything is hooked up properly.

Any ideas guys?

I'm pretty sure you should be able to adjust the output of the rears and fronts. At least on the Z-680s you could. I'm sure it was just a design oversight, it just means the input voltage is lower on the fronts than the rears.

My buddy who has the same speakers says his are equal throughout. There are no settings the control pod for front/rear volume either. I'm running onboard HD 8 channel audio chipset at the moment, wondering if getting a good sound card that allows me to perform more tweaks would solve my issue.

I would also throw Audioengine 3's into the runnings - Audioengineusa.com

Do not consider Logitechs for pc speakers (imo). They are pretty nice as a HTIB, though.

The M-Audio Bx5a's would have been a great choice especially at $205.

I'd sell the z-5500's on craigslist and buy the Bx5a's.

Yes, it is possible to use the z-5500 sub with studio monitors. Just don't plug the speakers in. Purchase and connect both the sub & studio speakers with a 1/4" stereo jack splitter. I did it with my AV40's and the sub from my old z-560's for a short time, then found that the "sub" sucked.

The M-Audio Bx5a's would have been a great choice especially at $205.

I'd sell the z-5500's on craigslist and buy the Bx5a's.

Yes, it is possible to use the z-5500 sub with studio monitors. Just don't plug the speakers in. Purchase and connect both the sub & studio speakers with a 1/4" stereo jack splitter. I did it with my AV40's and the sub from my old z-560's for a short time, then found that the "sub" sucked.

The BX5A's are already internally amplified, the sub has its own plate amp. Even then the z-5500 subwoofer has split-end connectors and uses standard speaker wire, not RCA cables.

i really like my Logitech G51.

i think i paid around 200 for it on sale or rebate or something like that.

I think you got swindled because the retail value is $200 and you can find it for $160 or less.

know it's too late... but here's where I'd throw my dime for that budget. Link

know it's too late... but here's where I'd throw my dime for that budget. Link

Thanks, those are more aesthetically appealing than the rest.

Looking to probably sell my current Z-5500 system and get studio monitors and good sub in near future. Should have taken the advice from others about the "muddy" bass.

Edit: Wish those that you posted where active :S. Not looking to pay extra for an amp.

Back