20-Year-Old Man Dies After Marathon Gaming Sessions

Back in the day I'd easily do 12 hr gaming sessions switching between Quake 2 and Unreal Tournament. Young People today..... Just don't have that Old "G", 3G fortitude. Games, Guts and Glory.

are there any warning signs of a blood clot or does it just all of a sudden hit you?...what about when sleeping for 12+ hours?...does it only affect you when awake?...can I sit down for 12+ hours in the same spot and just stretch out my legs a little to prevent blood clots or do I have to stand up and move around?

why don't more people (non-gamers) get this?...severely overweight people who are confined to their home?...people in wheelchairs?...people traveling in their car or a plane for long distance trips?

are there any warning signs of a blood clot or does it just all of a sudden hit you?...what about when sleeping for 12+ hours?...does it only affect you when awake?...can I sit down for 12+ hours in the same spot and just stretch out my legs a little to prevent blood clots or do I have to stand up and move around?

why don't more people (non-gamers) get this?...severely overweight people who are confined to their home?...people in wheelchairs?...people traveling in their car or a plane for long distance trips?

It happens to people for a variety of reasons, but you don't hear about it because it can't be blamed on games. Surgery, being bed ridden for days, etc all increase the risk of this.

Sometimes there are warning signs like swelling in your legs, other times none. It isn't always fatal though.

it's hard to get up and stretch when you're in the middle of a hard core fragging session...you keep telling yourself that you'll take a break after the level is over or some other achievement is reached but you can't pull yourself away from a really good game

If you can't put it down, it's a good sign you'd need to get some "help".

...it's just a game. Nothing to stress or die over.

If he died from a blood clot from just sitting and playing games, then he already had a problem. I have had a family member that has had massive blood clot problems (my aunt, who almost died) and she asked if it was from not being active enough, and was told that's really a myth-- when it does happen there is an underlying issue with either a clotting problem in the person (which means they would get the clot eventually anyway) or there is an underlying disease causing it.

Odd thing is, I have a friend that also had a blood clot in his legs.. He used to sit around a lot and play games, but in the last 3 years he's lost tons of weight, is in much better shape, and might spend a few hours every few days playing games... Turns out blood clots run in his family and the older he gets the more he could wind up with them.

The only other way to get them is with internal surgeries, where you're laid up lying down in a bed for a while (which is the reason they give people blood thinners in the hospital after those kinds of procedures). For a while after that, while you heal, you are recommended to get up and move around for a while.

The only real way to get it through just sitting too long is if you sit in a very cramped position for long periods of time. That's where the "healthy person sitting around getting deep vein thrombosis" stories come from. These are normally very uncomfortable and unusual ways of getting it, not normally a way one would sit while gaming, unless they enjoyed sitting like they were being practically crammed into a cube.

A few months ago I thought just like that, though.. mere sitting too long for a healthy person could cause it.. I got set straight..

That's not saying you don't want to get up and stretch once in a while.. because 12 hour marathon gaming sessions can give you nasty leg cramps, and isn't very good for the waistline either.. Take it from me, I sit at my computer around 15 hours a day, 7 days a week, and at times have had 12 hour marathon sessions.. Always though I was lucky not getting the blood clots-- but I have gotten some bad ass leg cramps, where, I swear, my calf muscle was trying to detach and escape.

My fiance has a genetic disorder called factor five leiden. It is a disorder with an increased risk of blood clots. She only is heterozygous so it isn't that bad, but I have heard that if you are homozygous you will have a lot of problems.

So, yeah there probably was another underlying issue with person.

12 hours isn't that difficult to do...that's why I use this:

DSCF6231.jpg

I liked this line:

Chris Staniforth’s father, David, told the Sun, “Chris lived for his Xbox. When he got into a game he could play it for hours and hours on end, sometimes 12 hours in a stretch. He got sucked in playing Halo online against people from all over the world.”

He continued: “I’m not for one minute blaming the manufacturer of Xbox. It isn’t their fault that people use them for so long. But I want to highlight the dangers that can arise.”

Someone's not assigning stupid blame at random companies?

Stop the presses, THIS IS NEWS!

12 hours? Pussy. Get back to me after a three day without sleep EverQuest binge.

You forgot to add most of that was spent camping some rare spawn, so you were literally just sitting there in one spot in the game... doing almost nothing for those 3 days.

I do not miss those days...at all. Thank God other mmos came out and changed the landscape.

My fiance has a genetic disorder called factor five leiden. It is a disorder with an increased risk of blood clots. She only is heterozygous so it isn't that bad, but I have heard that if you are homozygous you will have a lot of problems.

So, yeah there probably was another underlying issue with person.

....which was highly exacerbated by constant, prolonged periods of sitting in one spot without moving or doing anything to get the blood flowing.

He has no one to blame other than himself. Even being a big mmo gamer, I have to get up and move around every hour or so, stretch out, etc..

I sit at work infront of a computer for 10 hours,, then go home and sit infront of my computer for another 6 hours (excluding weekends) ..

Man im screwed!

back in the 80's, during the days of nintendo, we actually went outside and got some fresh air.
Makes me nostalgic just thinking about it.

now, people just sit on their ass all day

Exactly! I was lucky. We lived on 5 acres in the woods. I'd sit on my C64 and play for a few hours, then go out and explore, climb, etc. (had miles of dirt roads winding around behind our property too, so could ride my bike for miles.) Then I'd come back, and start playing C64 games again for a few more hours. It was a good balance. Fun mixture of things, healthy for the brain and the body.

I've done some long sessions in more recent years. A friend and I pulled a 48 hour session, and beat System Shock 2 in co-op mode. We'd get up though, and eat, hydrate, etc. I also had a semi-dojo in that house with 100lb bag, weapons, etc. so we could exert some energy, get some oxygen flowing, etc.

There was a post early in the thread about doing pushups in between matches. That's an excellent idea. I do this now too, and it sharpens the mind and reflexes too.

12 hours isn't a marathon gaming session, that's barely a gaming session period.
Plane of Air raids in Everquest kept me going for 26 hours straight. Kids these days just have no backbone anymore, fucking disgrace really. Jesus.

Stopped reading after the 7th word, went back to gaming.

Forgot to edit this into my reply but I laughed so hard that I gave myself backpain and may have to leave work early today because of it. ;)

Back