20 pin ps on 24 pin mb

Dan17

Limp Gawd
Hey,

I just went and picked up a new motherboard and processor and was putting it together when i noticed the motherboard has a 24 pin plug for the power. I've searched a bit on the net about using a 20 pin power supply on a 24 pin motherboard and its suggested that it will work fine. But I really am not sure about it at the moment. It's only going to be used until i get my new power supply (in a month or so). I also read a few posts including the one about the voltages when using a 20-24 pin adapter and when not using it....where it loooked fine.

Here's my hardware:
P5L-MX
Antec TrueBlue 480W
Core 2 Duo E6400
crappy pci ATI 7500 (until i get my new video card)

I'm pretty sure the power supply can handle it but I'd really like some feedback to confirm my thoughts.

Thanks,
Dan

I have used an adapter and it worked fine. However, I only had to use an adapter for about a month, and then I purchased a compatible power supply.

But am I able to use it without the adapter since it does plug in....its just there are 4 pins that are unused. Which from what I read is to ensure stability...but the post I read in this section that compared the voltages compared to not using an adapter and using one showed there was no difference in voltages sustained.

Dan

You should be ok. Just leave the 4 pins on one side open, and then it'll start right up. Of course, provided you plugged in all the other plugs you need to plug in.

Yep, just tried it and it works fine...I did some more searches and it said that the extra four were included for the pci-e support...so i'm not using a pci-e for now so I'm ok

Dan

I have a power supply that only has 20pin connector connected to my motherboard with 24pin socket (DFI Lanparty NF4). It's been working fine for more than a year and I have a pair of 6600GT in SLI, which do not use PCI-E connectors so all power has to come from the motherboard.

Back