20% off Samsung 840's including Pro's

I bit on the 840 Pro 256GB. How much faster will it be than my 120GB Agility 3?

I mostly did it for the extra space, though.

I picked up the 840 Pro 256GB. Now I have an 830 256GB that's arriving in the mail today I don't need. Talk about bad timing.

Pulled the trigger on a pair of the 256GB drives. Almost bought them for 230 apiece from Amazon yesterday...

Flex, I'm trying to decide the same.

I was waiting on the Crucial 512's to drop, however I have been reading that the Samsung 840's beat it out. I know that the Samsung 840 non pro is TLC (which is lesser quality than the MLC), however unless I'm transferring like 10GB/day I really won't notice a decrease in life.

Any input guys?

For the difference from regular to Pro worth the price?

Also, how much of an increase is the Pro from a M4?

I pulled the trigger on a 500gb 840 non-pro the last time they went on sale for $290. Don't regret it a bit. It absolutely toasts my 256gb 830 Pro in my laptop. I don't think the tiny bit of speed for the Pro is worth the extra cost.

For the difference from regular to Pro worth the price?

Also, how much of an increase is the Pro from a M4?

Maybe anecdotal at best, but I will say that the 128GB 830 felt and benched faster than the 128GB M4.

and the 256GB 840 Pro blows the 256GB 830 away, especially on random.

I'm tempted to pick up a 2nd 256GB 840 Pro for my workstation, put the 256GB 830 in my Thinkpad, and move my 128GB to my work laptop.

I pulled the trigger on a 500gb 840 non-pro the last time they went on sale for $290. Don't regret it a bit. It absolutely toasts my 256gb 830 Pro in my laptop. I don't think the tiny bit of speed for the Pro is worth the extra cost.

If you think the 500gb 840 non-Pro toasts your 256gb 830 then the 512gb 840 Pro will toast your 500gb non-Pro because the 830 series is faster than the 840 non-Pro of equivalent size.

Great info guys.

I have been scouring [H], anand, tom's, and slickdeals for far too long. At around $280, the 840 500GB non-pro seems like a hell of a deal. Adding to cart!

Great info guys.

I have been scouring [H], anand, tom's, and slickdeals for far too long. At around $280, the 840 500GB non-pro seems like a hell of a deal. Adding to cart!

$264

I started to rage, having just ordered this Monday.... then I saw that I paid less than even the coupon :p (250gb)

Picked it up for $180 + free shipping from Tiger. Just received it yesterday and cloned my drive last night, so far not noticed much difference in performance, but I've only used it a couple minutes so far. Still happy so far though.

EDIT:
Just curious did any of you put the "Samsung SSD activated" sticker on your laptops after installing it?

20% off these is pretty incredible. the price may not be better in 2013. even when crucial m500 finally comes out and compresses the prices down.

if you want a ssd this year, but this now IMO. the time for waiting has ended. and if you're hardcore, get the pro for the extra performance and 2 years of warranty. and get a size bigger than you think you need, because ssds slow down when full and we all know we're wrong about what we think we need.

Some people here are missing the message - the 500GB 840 NON PRO is now $264 - you STACK the coupon code to the discount price. They even added a $10 off instant rebate on my order of 2 in shop cart

Last edited:
In case anyone was curious what the $/GB is on the Pro versions (after the 20% of course):

64 GB (pre-order): $1.25/GB
128 GB: $0.88/GB
256 GB: $0.75/GB
512 GB: $0.74/GB

Some people here are missing the message - the 500GB 840 NON PRO is now $264 - you STACK the coupon code to the discount price. They even added a $10 off instant rebate on my order of 2 in shop cart

840 non-pro 512G shows up as $389.99. After coupon shows up as 311. How did you get $264?

He must be located in a state that does not get charged tax.

I am in California...$19.80 added to total.

20% off these is pretty incredible. the price may not be better in 2013. even when crucial m500 finally comes out and compresses the prices down.

if you want a ssd this year, but this now IMO. the time for waiting has ended. and if you're hardcore, get the pro for the extra performance and 2 years of warranty. and get a size bigger than you think you need, because ssds slow down when full and we all know we're wrong about what we think we need.

I think these will come down in price even more.

Samsung is building these in house and they got the know how and production power to build em proper and cheap.

I havce 2x120GB 840 in RAID 0 and I got a good deal on them but i regret getting them because the write speed is nowhere near as good as the Pros.

I recommend the Pros if write speed performance is important.

I just picked up a 256GB for $191.99 shipped. Nice! I hope I can notice the increased speed vs. my Sandisk Extreme 240GB. Will it be noticeable?

For those of you asking how it will perform, know this:

It will smoke every other drive you own that isn't an 840 Pro. I've got a 128GB 840 Pro and it devastates everything. I can press the power button on my laptop, go take a piss, and come back to my computer idle at desktop.

840 non-pro 512G shows up as $389.99. After coupon shows up as 311. How did you get $264?

There are two different 500 GB non-pro listings, one is the kit (ends in KW) that has the drive bracket, drive spacer, USB to SATA cable, SATA data cable, software. The one that ends in BW is the drive + software only, from the pics.

Think I might finally try out an SSD. How much more would you guys say the pro versions are worth? I'm thinking $0.75/GB is good for pros and $0.50/GB is good for non-pros? Since the non-pros aren't quite to $0.50/GB I'm thinking the pros are a better deal? Really I can't decide between 500GB non-pro or 256GB pro.

Been waiting for a 500GB+ SSD for under 300 for quite awhile now. Glad I found this So excited to get this installed.

For those of you asking how it will perform, know this:

It will smoke every other drive you own that isn't an 840 Pro. I've got a 128GB 840 Pro and it devastates everything. I can press the power button on my laptop, go take a piss, and come back to my computer idle at desktop.

I could do that with an X25-M 80GB over 2 years ago. :p

Sigh. I don't really want to spend the money right now but $400 for 512GB of high performance is too good to say no to.

I regret purchasing the Crucial M4, performance is less than my ancient C300. Think I will pick up one of the 840 Pro. Thanks for posting.

Back