20% off Samsung 830 SSDs at Newegg w/ promo Code

Are you signed up for their promo emails? That may work. I just assumed that most people are signed up for them but they get filtered into most people's spam folder.

If it won't work for anyone else signed up for their deals emails, then I will ask a moderator to remove the post.

Amazon doesn't price match either. I guess I'm stuck at $248. Wish I got the Tiger Direct Deal a week ago for $200

i actually got in on the TD deal... but they changed the status to backorder. so don't worry too much about missing it :p

Price has been raised to $275 before promo code :(

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Code doesn't work for me either. If someone really wants this, it might be worth calling to give them the code and seeing if they will apply it to your order. I think I'll wait until it's available from another vendor, though...I was looking at these this morning on Newegg and they definitely did raise the price.

I saw a Lian Li case, PC-Z70 to be exact, where this happened. Price was 239.00 two weeks ago and last week they came out with a 20% promo code but jacked the price up to 289.00. Im a little disappointed by this from Newegg. Expected better :(

Hopefully this doesnt become a common practice but like most money making schemes, Im sure it will.

**PROMO CODES ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE and may only be redeemed using the Newegg account attached to this e-mail address. Items sold by Newegg Marketplace sellers do not qualify.

Taken right from the email.

I got the email for 20% off the 830. A lot of good it'll do me, as I just got one 2 weeks ago. If I hadn't, I could have saved $10...wow.

i got the email but i already have an m4. i wish they would do 20% off crucial so i could get another m4 to raid them.

newegg seems to be doing this alot. After a few orders they seem to bump the price back up.

newegg seems to be doing this alot. After a few orders they seem to bump the price back up.
NE has been doing this for years. It's based either on activity or they allocate a certain amount to the 'sale' which ends once those funds have been depleted.

It's also strange that once an Out of Stock items gets replenished the price always goes back to the original MSRP for a week or so.

The one good thing is that Newegg is predictable. Once they've had this sale once then in all likelihood it will happen again.

Wow, Newegg. Really? Hasn't this charade of price hiking a "sale" item gone on long enough that you now realize you are well beyond the point of fooling the very core customer base that has made you a successful company?

Anyway, great deal for those that were actually able to use the code and get in on this before the prices were nonsensically increased, thus throwing a bucket of water to quickly extinguish any evidence of this being a hot deal.

Yay, Newegg! :mad:

I got the email for 20% off the 830. A lot of good it'll do me, as I just got one 2 weeks ago. If I hadn't, I could have saved $10...wow.

Call them and see if they'll do you a solid? They might shoot you down since it's a promo AND the price went up but ehh... I bought a 120GB 830 in November and the price went down $20 a couple days later, they credited me the difference, not the first time they've done so either.

For all of Newegg's price shens and less than friendly return/restock polices they still have pretty good service, solid prices, and a great selection imo. I'm probably a little biased because they're one of the few big online retailers that ships to Puerto Rico for reasonable amounts. Amazon won't even ship any kind of electronics here, such bs.

Newegg Webmaster who is an active sponsor on [H] should tell his company to stop the shenanigans and that it's ruining their reputation (to some, even more) via these poor practices.

They could have avoided the criticism if the deal was posted as a Shell Shocker rather than a normal sale which would have excused them from ending the sale early. But for some reason they've backed off lately from posting their best deals as Shell Shockers.

I highly doubt any positive change will come up. To begin with, this is only two pages long, so it's pretty clear we are the minority here. It's too small a number to actually prompt any action by newegg.

Another thing to consider is [H] benefits from these companies and it wouldn't make much sense to raise a stink over such a (seemingly) small issue. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't though -- but it wouldn't make much sense.

In the meantime, I'll just order a SanDisk Extreme SSD 240GB from Amazon @ 212.97. I would've liked to take advantage of the deal newegg had, but alas.

Is $560 a good deal for the Samsung 830 512GB, I was going to do an Intel 520 240GB for about $335, is the space on the 830 better Or is the intel worth it.

I just got an e-mail today for the 128GB version for $89.99 after EMCYTZT1751 promo code.

I just got an e-mail today for the 128GB version for $89.99 after EMCYTZT1751 promo code.
That is a ridiculously hot deal. Compared to it's next lowest sale price ($119) according to camelegg, that is an additional $30 (25%) off.

everyone likes to suggest that M4, but I'd rather buy the Sammy or Intel brands... they are the only ones with big dog validation processes.

...Crucial makes quality drives. I'm not really sure what your point is, here.

everyone likes to suggest that M4, but I'd rather buy the Sammy or Intel brands... they are the only ones with big dog validation processes.

And yet they've all faltered equally... Intel had that huge 4MB/brick bug on the 310, now they've discovered a pretty big enterprise AES 256-bit encryption feature isn't working on their Sandforce drive and it can't be fixed, etc etc.

I think Crucial has proved their worth with the C300 and M4, yeah both had minor issues but Crucial responded relatively quickly and issued firmware updates (which is more than we can say for the likes of Sandforce). Validation is important, but how they respond to issues and update the product over the long term is just as important.

I have two Intel drives and a Samsung 830 btw, so I'm not exactly biased for Crucial. Given their pricing over the last few months, I'd probably opt for Crucial, Samsung, or even some recent Plextor drives over Intel (which isn't prone to participate in price wars).

It really all depends on where your priorities are and how much stock you put in validation processes and reliability vs performance vs price. On the low-end small company validation processes gives third-party Sandforce drives a bad rep and or drivers are slow to come out. Etc, On the high-end you pay a bit more but you get top-notch validation processes and bigger firmware support and better rep.

To me it seems to come down to this, if you want a good price you get the M4. But it's not the best performing. It's validation seems good but not nearly as big as Samsung and Intel. The clear value choice but it depends on what you value. When all the bills are paid I'm left with a solid but not vastly exceptional drive impression, from the reviews and my opinion.

If you want decent performance and a vast quality validation process with a decent price you get the Samsung 830. The fact that Samsung makes it all from soup to nuts means that they're a dangerous competitor. If they needed to they could out price a lot of people, I think they're priced well for the product they offer however. Unlike Intel who doesn't even want to compete in price.

if you want the best validation and the best performance you get the Intel 520 but you sacrifice price. You have to remember if anyone knows how to make a quality SSD it's Intel as they're the ones that changed the game back in the day, made words like quality and SSD go in the same sentence. Perhaps the only one that can touch intel on their validation process is Samsung - just due to the sheer money and size of their programs. Samsung was always as good but they were just not good performers until recently.

So I'm not saying the M4 is bad, it actually has a very good end user reputation (my issue with it is very late garbage collection, and the performance could be a bit better), and I'm not saying Intel and Samsung will not have any issues, I just feel like there's a better chance I'm going to get taken care of with the bigger vendors. When Intel finds a minor bug like AES-256 encryption, they offer a full on refund. I don't OCZ doing that. And while some of this is just my opinion, there's no denying that besides Samsung and Intel the other people are smaller fish in the pond. Quality fish, value filled fish, but still smaller fish.

In the end i'm going to go for the Samsung 830, as there is also a very rare unlikely scenario with Sandforce where the drive can be backed into a corner that even trim can't fix, which bothers me.

As for which Samsung 830 ssd capacity, I'm trying to decide if I want to pay $560 delivered for one 512 GB drive, or $420 delivered for two 256GB drives.

Last edited:
Between the M4, the 830, and the M3, they all perform about the same real-world. You're not going to humanly be able to discern what's attached to the SATA port when you press the power button and boot the system. The only differences you'll see is if you run an SSD benchmark program, but that's pretty useless compared to everyday computer use.

I love the 830 series, but I equally love the M4 and M3 drives, as well.

Right now, the M4 wins 99% of the time from a price perspective. Crucial doesn't exactly put quality or customer service to the wayside, either. I'd put my faith in reliability equally in any of them.

I have read glowing reviews of the Intel drives for both reliability and service, but I refuse to pay their exorbitant prices when I know I can get a bigger (and sometimes better) drive for a significantly lower price.

It all comes down to personal choice and individual opinion, yes. However, there are literally millions of combined site reviews, personal reviews, and posts about product reliability and customer service experiences to allow all of us to discern which drives are top notch and which companies take care of their customers regardless of the type and level of validation they choose to utilize prior to those drives ending up in a customers hands.

Last edited:
Reading around the web, I am with you on Intel, I give up... Even as they came down to $300 for the 520 240gb, the price just seems too much. It would be different back on the day, but Samsung and yes Crucial have stepped up. Intel needs to realize that competition is creeping up on them.

Very very tempting price on the Crucial M4 512gb, but I'm such a snob that I'd want the soon to be released M5 or whatever's next more. I kind of still want the Samsung to be honest.

Back