20 Of The Worst PC Setups

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's time once again for Think Computer's monthly Worst PC Setups feature. I like this one because, at some point in your career as a dad, the kid's computer will be the only one working and you have to get on the internet for something.

I like this one because, at some point in your career as a dad, the kid's computer will be the only one working and you have to get on the internet for something.

Been there, done that. Definitely used stepsons rig to download stuff like motherboard manual, and rescue ISO :p

Difference is, his setup isn't bad.

A little low to be ergonomic for me, but still not bad :p

This forum post from July 2010 has yet to be rivaled in that "Worst PC Setup" category.

1279048961SpG8YxSTX6_1_2_l.jpg

lolll, i do some in-house computer work from time to time and the setups i see make me laugh. even on a budget you can come up with something presentable idk how people work in filth

I was wondering for a time now. Why is it a "battlestation"? What does that mean? What do they want to suggest by that? Using that word in this context annoys the hell out of me.

It's akin to calling a den or office a "man cave".

I just call mine "the office". :p

I was wondering for a time now. Why is it a "battlestation"? What does that mean? What do they want to suggest by that? Using that word in this context annoys the hell out of me.

I always presumed they called it that because they play "Call of Modern Battlefield" on them. Still, it sounds dumb as hell.

Zarathustra[H];1042004004 said:
Still, it sounds dumb as hell.

It's really dumb sounding, yup. *nod-nods* But people are kinda stupid creatures so we should forgive them, laugh at them behind their backs, and then pat them on their heads and send them back to their "battlestations" to go wage imaginary wars on their screens.

Zarathustra[H];1042001985 said:
I still hate the term "battlestation" with a passion.

As do I. Of course, for some people they truly are a battlestation. They go to battle on reddit, Tumblr, [H] Soapbox.... They take that battle very seriously.

I think some of them aren't really bad. They just improvised and made things work with what they had. I'm sure most of us have done that. Move into a new house, first thing in the door is our PC. No place to set it up, so it sits next to the cable/phone jack where the router is going until the desk, AP, etc. is working.

Arguing with random people on the internet is serious business. :D The act of arguing and insulting one another totally changes someone's view of the world because, at the end of every argument I've ever seen on the internet, someone always ends up saying to someone else, "You know what, you're right. My viewpoint was incorrect and based on flawed knowledge. I'm glad we had this talk because I'm a better person now that I learned that your opinion is just as valid as mine."

As do I. Of course, for some people they truly are a battlestation. They go to battle on reddit, Tumblr, [H] Soapbox.... They take that battle very seriously.

I think some of them aren't really bad. They just improvised and made things work with what they had. I'm sure most of us have done that. Move into a new house, first thing in the door is our PC. No place to set it up, so it sits next to the cable/phone jack where the router is going until the desk, AP, etc. is working.

When I move in get the computer desk setup first so I can get my computer going. I'll use my laptop for quick stuff, so I take my time getting the computer setup done right.

Arguing with random people on the internet is serious business. :D The act of arguing and insulting one another totally changes someone's view of the world because, at the end of every argument I've ever seen on the internet, someone always ends up saying to someone else, "You know what, you're right. My viewpoint was incorrect and based on flawed knowledge. I'm glad we had this talk because I'm a better person now that I learned that your opinion is just as valid as mine."

Sometimes. Sometimes, neither is wrong. People just need to realize when an argument is non-winnable and agree to disagree. There are some things that can be argued for centuries. As long as you see the other point of view, even if you don't agree with it, and can make a good case for your argument, it's fine. I disagree with a lot of people, but they aren't wrong. They have valid reasons for their argument, as do I.

Other times, people are just wrong. And, many people do apologize and recognize their mistakes.

Some people are just stubborn, too. Or they are so sold on their argument that no other argument exists because they are all wrong.

I'm pretty sure "battlestations" was a term used before the internet and even online gaming.

Probably more related to the fact that early computer users were either desk jockeys or hackers and it's where we went to "war" either with work or via BBS.

or maybe it's because of mechwarrior

Zarathustra[H];1042001985 said:
P.S.

I still hate the term "battlestation" with a passion.

Every time that term is used, in reference to a PC setup, an angel gets its wings torn off.

Sometimes. Sometimes, neither is wrong. People just need to realize when an argument is non-winnable and agree to disagree. There are some things that can be argued for centuries. As long as you see the other point of view, even if you don't agree with it, and can make a good case for your argument, it's fine. I disagree with a lot of people, but they aren't wrong. They have valid reasons for their argument, as do I.

Other times, people are just wrong. And, many people do apologize and recognize their mistakes.

Some people are just stubborn, too. Or they are so sold on their argument that no other argument exists because they are all wrong.

You know, I'm trying to mock the internet over here and you're being all sensible and rational. That so spoils the mood. Thanks mom. Thanks a lot. :mad:

Back