20 Of The Worst PC Setups

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's time once again for Think Computer's monthly Worst PC Setups feature. Not only is this one the worst I've ever seen, I think this dude is gonna end up on that TV show about hoarders.

I'm always amazed at the ability for some people to live in what essentially looks like a garbage dump.

I can't imagine having so little self-respect that I would just drop garbage all over my house, and then live in the middle of it.

The image steve linked is especially good because of the two large critters living in the mess.

I thought this was going good to be 20 pictures of computers running Windows 10. :(

The image steve linked is especially good because of the two large critters living in the mess.

That's what made me think of hoarders. People can stage / fake images but when you saw those two dogs you knew for sure that shit was real. :eek:

Yeah, its not really the whole thing with just putting your computer in random places on top of random not-desk type furniture that's the problem. It's the obviously disgusting explosion of food, drinks, and empty (or not empty :eek:) packaging that's 100% vomit worthy about some of those pictures.

If you have never resorted to using a box fan for your setup then you just haven't been rigging long enough.

If your CPU fan dies and you're too cheap/lazy to buy another one, and your 10 other backup fans don't fit the current socket because :mad: It's the only way to survive.

AcRJGSK.jpg

I
If your CPU fan dies and you're too cheap/lazy to buy another one, and your 10 other backup fans don't fit the current socket because :mad: It's the only way to survive.

AcRJGSK.jpg

The problem lies with the person in this matter.
A sane person would just click Next Day shipping on their Amazon Prime account.

I especially love the ironing board keyboard tray held between two open drawers. I bet lots of these people were macgyver fans :p

I'm always amazed at the ability for some people to live in what essentially looks like a garbage dump.

I can't imagine having so little self-respect that I would just drop garbage all over my house, and then live in the middle of it.

depression will do that

and people wonder why online gamers talk so much trash... they may be subconsciously trying to get rid of it symbolically through the screen!

and people wonder why online gamers talk so much trash... they may be subconsciously trying to get rid of it symbolically through the screen!

Well, I guess it's a lot easier to trash talk than stop playing for a few minutes to bag all that junk up and throw it away. How else could people achieve that whole thing where their butt fuses with their chair and they become part of the machine? :D

I should post a picture of my boss' kid's room, who spends most of his time here. It looks like a damn gerbil cage.

Well, I guess it's a lot easier to trash talk than stop playing for a few minutes to bag all that junk up and throw it away. How else could people achieve that whole thing where their butt fuses with their chair and they become part of the machine? :D

Speaking of trash talk, the pic of the guy with the dogs and the trash bags... :eek:
They always say, a pictures says a thousand [trashy] words! :D

Speaking of trash talk, the pic of the guy with the dogs and the trash bags... :eek:
They always say, a pictures says a thousand [trashy] words! :D

Yeah, it's completely revolting! IDK how someone can willing sit down in a place like that. I can only image how bad it stinks with all that rotting food residue. And...there's a DOOR in the background too, like a random door just laying there on top of the pile.

Yikes... a lot of these are frankly terrifying. I guess maybe I just don't understand, but a lot of these cases seem to be all open and parts strewn about for... what reason exactly? I mean, you could finish whatever troubleshooting you were doing and then button your case back up. There was a time when parts were hard to find or super expensive, but thanks to Amazon and Ebay that really shouldn't be an issue for all but the meagerest of budgets. Even then toddle on down to Goodwill or a local pc recycle center and you should be able to get a damn cpu fan of all things.

All the trash is nasty and just lazy slobbishness, which of course I am 100% guilty of as well sometimes. Still, computing with rotting food nearby sounds gross.

Some of these aren't even really terrible setups, just space constrained....

That is not called a PC setup, that is called being a slob.

If you have never resorted to using a box fan for your setup then you just haven't been rigging long enough.

... Or you can grab some duct tape, zip ties, etc and put one of those backup fans onto your CPU's heatsink. Rigging fans isn't rocket science, and the motherboard's PWM pins aren't going to change any time soon.

All the trash is nasty and just lazy slobbishness, which of course I am 100% guilty of as well sometimes. Still, computing with rotting food nearby sounds gross.

depression and other mental illness not "lazy slobbishness" if it wasnt stigmatized and cost a small fortune to treat then you wouldn't see shit like this

Those lists always just piss me off. How many of them refer to their setup as a "battlestation"? Talk about fuckin' trigger words!

Fucking hoarder garbage dump slobs. Disgusting people. Disgusting environments.

I really want to take pictures of a friend of mines place... I've paid people to clean his place and it always ends up being nasty again

I used a house fan to cool one of my machines once,
mainly used to cool the hard drives and the editing card on this video editing machine
pc_fan.jpg

depression and other mental illness not "lazy slobbishness" if it wasnt stigmatized and cost a small fortune to treat then you wouldn't see shit like this

Not all of those people are depressed or have some sort of mental illness. Some of them, yes it's possible. Others, no - it's pure 100% lazy snobbishness.

You can't diagnose depression or mental illness just by looking at a snapshot of a person's computer room. You can't rule it out either, but you sure as hell can't point to it as the 100% culprit.

Dog looks happy to me, but maybe that's his "I just ate my own shit and it was fantastic!" face

At least the dog guy has a big monitor and a stable table. I'd take his setup over a lot of the others -- and then clean it up!

Back