20% of Hulu and Netflix Subscribers Have Cut the Cord

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The cable companies’ are beginning to become just a little concerned over the growing trend in US households to cut the cable for good, especially in households that subscribe to streaming services like Netflix or Hulu.

Last edited:
Name a major internet provider that isn't a cable provider... they just continue to jack up internet costs and put on data caps to limit HD streaming.

Name a major internet provider that isn't a cable provider... they just continue to jack up internet costs and put on data caps to limit HD streaming.

They'll screw with net neutrality until their money is secure. Its what anyone would do in that position, unless stopped.

I'm one of them. Got tired of shelling out $110 every month when we watched maybe 5 channels total a few hours a week. Especially when half those channels we watched were OTA channels that we could be getting for free. When they make it where you can pick and choose the channels you want and pay accordingly then maybe I'll come back but for now watching OTA, Netflix and Amazon's streaming videos and is working just fine.

no no no.... the free market shall regulates itself!

I'm a firm believer in free market capitalism. And I can tell you are being sarcastic. That said, Comcast et all are obviously broadband monopolies. And the government should have a right to regulate monopolies that affect the prosperity of the US.

Now can we prove home broadband is essential to the prosperity of the US?

Get to work. Write the FTC, and your local congressmen.

I wouldnt necessarily call Comcast a monopoly. I cant even get Comcast where I live. Im getting my internet from my telephone company (50M for $45/month) and we've got Charter cable, Dish Network and DirecTV to choose from. Verizon, Sprint and AT&T are also options for broadband. Thats hardly a monopoly.

I wouldnt necessarily call Comcast a monopoly. I cant even get Comcast where I live. Im getting my internet from my telephone company (50M for $45/month) and we've got Charter cable, Dish Network and DirecTV to choose from. Verizon, Sprint and AT&T are also options for broadband. Thats hardly a monopoly.

the point is. For a lot of the US, there is only one, maybe 2 broadband options other than Satellite or other poor choices. If you are lucky, one cable provider, and maybe one DSL. Sure some areas may have fiber, more DSL choices etc...

The poster commenting about the other posters sarcastic barb at capitalism. I totally agree with BOTH. I'm a firm believer in capitalism as well. What we in the US have is a crony capitalism system setup by big companies supporting corrupt politicians to protect their fiefdoms.

If we had a true capitalistic system for broadband there would not be laws protecting local areas from new build outs, from protecting companies from leasing their unused infrastructure out to 3rd parties, etc... Our broadband sucks in the US for a great many of us. Moving into a rural area has opened my eyes to this sad state.

My previous house I had Comcast cable, and for all the hate that gets thrown at Comcast they were actually pretty good. A few times things got oversold and slow downs were sometimes random, but overall they did a decent job of providing what they sold. That said, it was my only broadband option other than wireless microwave(1.5mb/DSL)type speeds. IMO I don't think we can call anything under 5-7mb/down broadband as the internet has been so clogged with videos and ads, that under 5-7mb does effect your web experience.

Too bad there are too many government regulations that prevent the free market from truly taking hold.

I just cut the cord two weeks ago today, and I have been very pleased so far. I have a Tablo for my OTA DVR (which can play back live tv and recordings to about anything), a Roku 3, and a Chromecast.

I do have a Netflix subscription, but not Hulu+ (hate the commercials).

As long as Uverse doesn't enforce their caps, I should be fine for quite a while (and I doubt I am hitting the caps anyway).

Yeah, but $70 for TV (my cost, and that's with various discounts) + cost of internet. At the end of the day you're not paying for TV, which still keeps going up and and up as well, so it is a net win, and if you watch that many TV shows online maybe you should keep the TV portion for convenience :D

I cut the cord in 2006 because of how much I despise commercials.

Also, especially at that time, I was working so damn much that the only time I had was reserved for drinking and sleep.

the point is. For a lot of the US, there is only one, maybe 2 broadband options other than Satellite or other poor choices. If you are lucky, one cable provider, and maybe one DSL. Sure some areas may have fiber, more DSL choices etc...

The poster commenting about the other posters sarcastic barb at capitalism. I totally agree with BOTH. I'm a firm believer in capitalism as well. What we in the US have is a crony capitalism system setup by big companies supporting corrupt politicians to protect their fiefdoms.

If we had a true capitalistic system for broadband there would not be laws protecting local areas from new build outs, from protecting companies from leasing their unused infrastructure out to 3rd parties, etc... Our broadband sucks in the US for a great many of us. Moving into a rural area has opened my eyes to this sad state.

Comcast is not a monopoly but is a monopoly for many areas. I live in south Florida, there is nothing else but Comcast for regular cable. You have to get the box and all that for At&t, who is running dsl for internet, Verizon almost has nothing here but Cell phone service, TWC does not exist here (until Merger or whetever), NO google fiber :mad:. Being the great south florida, also might mean you might not be allowed to have satellite either. alot of the older condos and apartments, including some HOA areas do not allow dishes.

I never had cable to start with. While the last place I lived included basic cable for the building, included with your rent, the current does not and I've seen no reason to change that. While I did change ISPs from AT&T's shoddy and expensive DSL to TWC's not-quite-so-shoddy but still expensive cable, I simply don't have any desire to pay out the nose for cable when I so rarely watch television. Especially when I have Netflix for the off chance I actually do want to watch television.

Refuse to pay for that garbage, never have never will. htpc + file server, Netflix, and Amzn prime seem to keep us busy.

I pay $192/mo to Comcast in order to have a package with HBO. My only alternative is dialup. Also, I live 9 miles from Microsoft.

HBO and local channels are the two biggies I really need.

I subscribe to Cox (internet only) for $60. They have a new option called Cox Flex Watch that allows you to add HBO and your local HD channels for only $20 extra a month (new subs can get internet & hbo for $60!). This a la carte offering is probably a sign of the times.

My mom has VZ FiOS and I set her up with a nice triple play plan for $104 incl taxes/fees. They are giving her HBO free until end of June. So check with your friends/family if they have FiOS and you want to score a HBO go acct right now. :)

I cut the cord nearly 2 years ago. I'm not going back unless I can get something great (google, verizon fios)

i have netflix, no cable. I goto a bar if i really want to see a game i can't see and i pirate GoTs. Although, i just found out yesterday you can buy GoTs on Google play. going to look into that. Just unsure how video on Google play works.

i keep seeing all these posts about people saying "i cut the cord because i hate the commercials"...i'm exactly the opposite, i cut the cord because i can't stand the fucking shit programming that's on TV these days, the commercials are actually better than a good portion of the shows out now...i at least get a good laugh out of a lot of the commercials.

i was paying $85 - $90 per month for DirecTV, which i'd had for about a decade or so, but i got so tired of paying that much, only to have 3 or 4 shows that i actually really cared about, and the rest of the shit out there is bullshit like American Idol, Survivor, The Voice, blah, blah, fucking blah. just shoot me in the head now if that's the direction TV is taking...i can't fucking stand that shit.

the vast majority of the time, i'd just end up watching Family Feud or other shows on GSN, and that's not what i'd call an effective use of my money....hence, cord = CUT!

I don't watch tv, really, but the kid needs babyfirst & wife needs globo. I dont think both of those are available to US residents online only. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I'd love to cut.

The other issue I have is that captioning of online services varies WIDELY. If I do watch something I need captions. Also quality is a huge factor as well with a 73" tv.

I haven't yet but I thought about it. I think the wife only watches HGTV and that's about it really. We watch the occasional flick on the movie channels but for the price of about 150/mo, I could just go down and rent from Redbox. I have HBO for GoTs as well.

i never had to cut the cord because I never got one to begin with. My parents were TV addicts and so many other people too. I could never see paying money to someone to just have noise to make me feel like something is happening so I just didn't bother. I did subscribe to netflix, but I didn't really ever use it so after going back and forth with having and not having it for a while, I just quit completely. I know some people have a really hard time not having it, but I don't think I'd ever want it now that I'm used to it not being around. It was always disturbing to see how pictures get flashed in front of people's faces in rapid succession and for them to just sit there staring blankly as it happened. It's scary what any kinda video entertainment turns people into.

I'm a firm believer in free market capitalism. And I can tell you are being sarcastic. That said, Comcast et all are obviously broadband monopolies. And the government should have a right to regulate monopolies that affect the prosperity of the US.

Now can we prove home broadband is essential to the prosperity of the US?

Get to work. Write the FTC, and your local congressmen.
The problem is that Regulations often encourages monopolies. They burden smaller organizations who have less revenue to spread out the costs and basically block new companies altogether. Just try to set up a TV antenna without jumping through hoops for the FTC and having 'credentials' which is code for being an industry insider. The FTC enforces a closed club for broadcasting.

It use to be that organizations like the FTC engaged in only policing activities like deterring monopolies. Now monopolies get a pass due to cronyism with wall-street.

I just cut the cord on cable...paying the extra $130/mo. for watching occasionally the one or two shows a week...was just not worth the price of admission. When Discovery and History and all those types of channels went to reality bullshit...that is when I stopped watching. We caught ourselves watching OTA channels more when we did...no sense paying for it when I can get a antennae and view it that way for free. I have Netflix...use the hell out of it. And will look into HULU...but the commercials may be a no decision.

I wanted to be next to cut the cord, so I went outside and snipped my cable line and now my fucking internet doesn't work. Shit.

I'm cutting the cord to cable tv (Comcast). I just purchased an OTA Antenna. Unfortunately, Comcast/Xfinity decided to SNIP all the cable ends to my other rooms in my house when they did the initial install, even after I labeled them. Just a rant, but I can't believe they did that. I had to buy a RG6 stripper, compression tool, and connectors, and re-due the snipped ends. Talk about being an jerk of a company. Just another reason to give them less money.

Yup, cut the TV portion, Comcast raised Internet service price to the point I save NOTHING.

Back