20/21/22" Monitor Selection?

memphis_1220

Limp Gawd
Hey,

As per my other thread earlier, my flat screen monitor has suddenly stopped working correctly. I have been pondering buying a new one for a few months now but never really got into selecting one. I currently have a dual screen setup with an old (now broken) 15" flat panel along with a relatively newer 17". I love the advantages of two screens and am constantly annoyed with single monitor systems at University and elsewhere. So, for this reason I have always said that when I get a new monitor, I'll get a second so that they match and look the part.

Initially (being a month or so ago) I thought the Dell 2007WFP was the one to go with, but now I look more into it I am hearing of S-IPS this, S-PVA that :eek: . I have also read and seen some quite disturbing pictures of input lag: here. This cannot possibly be noticable unless you really look for it, can it? For the price of such monitors I would hate to think it could be the case.

The question would have to be: Without extensively comparing an S-IPS panel against a S-PVA panel, can you really notice anything wrong with either one? I know that this will be a hard question for some people to answer. Regarding the Dell, did people notice the banding, lag issues on their own, or did they read about it, look and then notice them?. I have only just noticed a mouse trail on one of my monitors, but I have to specifically look for it.

I would appreciate the opinions and experiences of people on here. The requirements are as follows (some may be flexible):

- 20, 21, or 22" preferable (in order to get the larger resolutions compared with those on 19" monitors)
- Widescreen (I watch a lot of films)
- HDCP compliant (ready for Vista and Blu-ray)
- Narrow surround
- Picture in picture and extra inputs

A rotatable screen and anything else would be a bonus but not entirely necessary.

The main use would be watching DVD's, followed by gaming and then browsing/working.

I am leaning towards the Dell 2007WFP as I can get two for £523.20 including shipping.

Buying a monitor and being picky about it is always a bitch. The DELL you mention has a good reputation, but all manufacturers are having some problems with LCD being manufactured. I'd just go ahead and order the DELL, especially since I just visited dell.com and it looks like they're on sale. I don't know though, they might always be on sale.

Just make sure you are able to return it wherever you buy it. Monitors are highly subjective, people like different things.

The only other monitors I know off my head that meet the requirements you mentioned are either the Gateway 21" or 22" monitors. However, on the Gateway 21" it did not do soo well in 2D applications like watching DVD movies on it. Not sure on the 22" but, more than likely it would be similar.

Buying a monitor and being picky about it is always a bitch. The DELL you mention has a good reputation, but all manufacturers are having some problems with LCD being manufactured. I'd just go ahead and order the DELL, especially since I just visited dell.com and it looks like they're on sale. I don't know though, they might always be on sale.

Just make sure you are able to return it wherever you buy it. Monitors are highly subjective, people like different things.

I'll take that into consideration. I'm going to have to have deeper look around at the options. The Dell offer of 20% off then an extra 5% ends on the 30th I think. It wouldnt be a big problem if I miss it as they always seem to have 20% off.

The only other monitors I know off my head that meet the requirements you mentioned are either the Gateway 21" or 22" monitors. However, on the Gateway 21" it did not do soo well in 2D applications like watching DVD movies on it. Not sure on the 22" but, more than likely it would be similar.

Hmm, come to think of it I think my sister has a 22" Gateway monitor, I may have to hook it up to my computer and do some testing.

The only monitor that I have seen with flawless reviews all round is the BenQ fp241wz. Its a shame that its over £700! Are they planning on making a smaller version of the BenQ with the same quality and features?

I'll take that into consideration. I'm going to have to have deeper look around at the options. The Dell offer of 20% off then an extra 5% ends on the 30th I think. It wouldnt be a big problem if I miss it as they always seem to have 20% off.

Hmm, come to think of it I think my sister has a 22" Gateway monitor, I may have to hook it up to my computer and do some testing.

The only monitor that I have seen with flawless reviews all round is the BenQ fp241wz. Its a shame that its over £700! Are they planning on making a smaller version of the BenQ with the same quality and features?

dasd

Whoops! sorry about that. I pressed the wrong button. But, in response to the 24" Benq it is a great monitor and got really good reviews on it. However, when I been hearing talk of it not having 1:1 mapping it turned me off a bit. But, eventually they will include it. It seems like that's the only flaw or main flaw people are griping about is that.

Whoops! sorry about that. I pressed the wrong button. But, in response to the 24" Benq it is a great monitor and got really good reviews on it. However, when I been hearing talk of it not having 1:1 mapping it turned me off a bit. But, eventually they will include it. It seems like that's the only flaw or main flaw people are griping about is that.

I thought the one I mentioned will have 1:1 mapping? The Z version.

memphis_1220 said:
The only monitor that I have seen with flawless reviews all round is the BenQ fp241wz.

Back