2 years since the 1070 and 1080 were released...

mazeroth

Limp Gawd
I'm holding out on building a new PC until nVidia releases something new. I've read a bunch of threads here and different sites but can't seem to find an expected release date or an expected performance increase. Do we have any idea when we're going to get new GPU's and roughly how much faster they'll be? Thanks, and sorry for my ignorance!

Your guess is as good as mine. You can estimate the performance a bit based on the Titan V. I would expect whatever flagship model, let's call it a GTX 1180 Ti to match the V while the lower cost 1170 and 1180 would most likely be somewhere between the 1080 Ti and Titan V.

I'm still happily on a 980 Ti with no need to upgrade until high refresh rate 4K displays and new GPUs are available.

My problem is I sold my 980 Ti setup a while ago, due to no having much time to game. I now want to get back into iRacing with my Oculus and racing rig and need to build another computer. Gah! First world problems!

If I were to replace my watercooled 1080TI right now, I would be pissing away money and finding a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. (hope I just didn't curse myself)

I have a regular 980 and think I will be needing an upgrade within a year. I have a 1080P monitor though so here's to hoping the 1080TI drops in price or the new cards are fucking epic.

I'm holding out on building a new PC until nVidia releases something new. I've read a bunch of threads here and different sites but can't seem to find an expected release date or an expected performance increase. Do we have any idea when we're going to get new GPU's and roughly how much faster they'll be? Thanks, and sorry for my ignorance!

Honestly if you want the best rig possible this year, I'd say wait till the threadripper 1950x is on sale again around black friday. They were so fkn cheap last year I bought a few. By that time November comes around you should have been able to pick up a new GTX 11xx part for your rig and would have imo the best rig for everything at the moment under 3 grand.

Wow lol It doesnt feel that way but you are right, its been two years...
1080 has been serving me well but when my tax returns comes ill be chomping at the bit for a new GPU. Shame I really cant justify any of the current GPUs, even the Titan V isn't worth it IMO.
Shame the prices of the 1080 and 1070 have really not budged much.

Wow lol It doesnt feel that way but you are right, its been two years...
1080 has been serving me well but when my tax returns comes ill be chomping at the bit for a new GPU. Shame I really cant justify any of the current GPUs, even the Titan V isn't worth it IMO.
Shame the prices of the 1080 and 1070 have really not budged much.

Mining is the cause of the pricing. I picked up a 1070 for $319 shipped from the Newegg store March 2017 so the prices were dropping nicely until the mining craze.

Mining is the cause of the pricing. I picked up a 1070 for $319 shipped from the Newegg store March 2017 so the prices were dropping nicely until the mining craze.
Yeah my launch gpu was pricey but that price hasn't changed much lol. It's so bad

Remember when 1080 ti were 699 at launch 13 months ago?

Pepperidge farm remembers, so does my newegg order history. The history actually says $654 for some reason but I distinctly remember 699.

Last edited:
We can safely assume the 1180/2080 will be 20-25% faster than the 1080Ti for about $649-699.

I'm waiting on that.

When? Pascal is still printing money so no one knows.
You do know what assume means right? Please spare me..........

True, but it's worthwhile to note the true cause and effect here. The reason the upgrade cycle is longer isn't because they're printing money (they do that pretty much every cycle), it's because they have no real competition, so they're pursuing other avenue of tech, like AI. The printing money part is just a byproduct of the market dominance and the profitability of mining; and not even so much for Nvidia as it is for resellers. If anything, they're trying to discourage mining.

True, but it's worthwhile to note the true cause and effect here. The reason the upgrade cycle is longer isn't because they're printing money (they do that pretty much every cycle), it's because they have no real competition, so they're pursuing other avenue of tech, like AI. The printing money part is just a byproduct of the market dominance and the profitability of mining; and not even so much for Nvidia as it is for resellers. If anything, they're trying to discourage mining.
trying to discourage mining?

sigh

discourage the thing that has allowed them to have record profits, more easily delve with financial freedom into other profitable sectors, and has accounted for record sales, slower product release/more time to perfect upcoming product/lower supply cost for upcoming product, historic high stock price, and bank roll savings and R&D for the next rainy day?

yes!!!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! :rolleyes:

They haven't even released a product map in years. They used to have that thing go out for 4-5 architectures into the future.

We can safely assume the 1180/2080 will be 20-25% faster than the 1080Ti for about $649-699.

I'm waiting on that.

Unless I'm missing something, not sure how you're "safely assuming" 20-25% faster. If past gens are any indication, I'd say we can expect a slight increase to near performance match between the 1080 Ti and 1180/2080.

No one can say for sure on the new GPU there's allots of fake news online around the 2080 it will not be called 2080 it's called 1170 and 1180 if we are to see anything it will be mid July to December 2018 that is what is been said also they will use the GDDR6x not the HBM2.

trying to discourage mining?

sigh

discourage the thing that has allowed them to have record profits, more easily delve with financial freedom into other profitable sectors, and has accounted for record sales, slower product release/more time to perfect upcoming product/lower supply cost for upcoming product, historic high stock price, and bank roll savings and R&D for the next rainy day?

yes!!!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, but look at it another way - it's almost completely without risk on their part to try to discourage miners from getting their mitts on every GPU made. They get to act like Goodguy Nvidia, sell out GPUs for MSRP directly to the customer (they certainly don't make MSRP from board partners/resellers), and soak up all that goodwill they're earned with the gamer community when the mining craze (inevitably) ends. There's really no downside to it either. Whether they try to defend gamers and offer incentives for them to buy cheaper or not, miners are going to buy everything they can get their hands on as long as it's profitable.

Consider that they certainly don't HAVE to offer GPUs for MSRP - in many cases, hundreds less than they're available for from every other source. The fact that they do at all is, IMO, at least earning them some cred.

Unless I'm missing something, not sure how you're "safely assuming" 20-25% faster. If past gens are any indication, I'd say we can expect a slight increase to near performance match between the 1080 Ti and 1180/2080.

1080 > Titan X Maxwell > 1070 > 980Ti

Compared to a stock, reference 980 Ti which is several hundred Mhz slower than most AIB cards and when you account the 980 Tis excellent overclocking the 1080 is not that much faster. I would not be surprised if on the next gen cards the 1170 was the equivalent of a 1080 Ti and the 1180 was a bit faster than that, with a 1180 Ti coming next year matching the Titan V.

Compared to a stock, reference 980 Ti which is several hundred Mhz slower than most AIB cards and when you account the 980 Tis excellent overclocking the 1080 is not that much faster. I would not be surprised if on the next gen cards the 1170 was the equivalent of a 1080 Ti and the 1180 was a bit faster than that, with a 1180 Ti coming next year matching the Titan V.

Bottomline - 1080 is 20-25% faster than a 980ti. It doesnt matter if you can close the gap with overclocking or not. So his statement is still true and we are all expecting a 20-25% increase over the 1080ti. Just cause you can lower that percentage with an OC does not matter.

So for the folks stuck back in the 980 generation, the new cards will be substantially faster.

Recently bolted on an AIO using a g12 onto my 1080, better than ever and took the edge off a little :p

Still... the new shiny desire remains.

It has been so long and mining prices are so insane I have been contemplating a TITAN V at $3k. Especially since my 1080 Ti Lightning has sold for over $1k on eBay used in the past month a few times.

I game at 1440p. I'm still using a GTX 970, but I have an MSI 1080 8G Gaming in my Amazon cart, ready for me to pull the trigger for the last 4 hours. I thought I'd visit the extperts and just ask....

Is it even a good idea to spend $630 on a 1080? Is it "too late," you know? This is an arcitecture that is getting long in the tooth and is it worth that much money for someone who typically can afford to upgrade a GPU about every 3 years, tops?

Do you think Volta is going to outclass Pascal so much that just waiting for that is the better option, even though there are some games that are getting annoying, lagging at 1440p on my old 970?

Yeah, I would propably just stick with the 970 for another 6 months or so, but my S.O.'s old Radeon died and they get the 970. So upgrade is forced now, and I absolutely hate spending money on a new component unless there is a significant and thoroughly noticeable increase in overall performance. (Which is why all my gear isn't the latest/best stuff. Oh, and the tight budget. :))

I'm not even sure the MSI Gaming at $630 is the 1080 to get as far as price/performance for real-world gameplay experience, I've just heard a lot of positive info about it. Now this thread has me down on the whole idea of a 1080 after TWO YEARS... jeez

If budget is tight, 1070 Tis are going for 500 and are very close to 1080s in terms of performance.

Crypto has made the used market rather weird and used cards continue to be extremely overpriced. That's still a reality. Buying a *new* Pascal with 1180 on the horizon though? That's just throwing money away. Maybe 3 months before the crazy bull run, I remember seeing STRIX 1080TIs going for $650 - and the thread was getting bumped for quite a while too.

No, I'd much more recommend a used 980Ti for you - as the generational depreciation is already priced in, and they aren't nearly as desirable for mining, so the sellers aren't still trying to make up for the purchase cost.

Is it even a good idea to spend $630 on a 1080? Is it "too late," you know?

Prices are projected to drop, which is why you're seeing 'sales' that aren't really sales.

Projections could be off- but the 1080 was never worth $630 for gaming.

I game at 1440p. I'm still using a GTX 970, but I have an MSI 1080 8G Gaming in my Amazon cart, ready for me to pull the trigger for the last 4 hours. I thought I'd visit the extperts and just ask....

Is it even a good idea to spend $630 on a 1080? Is it "too late," you know? This is an arcitecture that is getting long in the tooth and is it worth that much money for someone who typically can afford to upgrade a GPU about every 3 years, tops?

Do you think Volta is going to outclass Pascal so much that just waiting for that is the better option, even though there are some games that are getting annoying, lagging at 1440p on my old 970?

Yeah, I would propably just stick with the 970 for another 6 months or so, but my S.O.'s old Radeon died and they get the 970. So upgrade is forced now, and I absolutely hate spending money on a new component unless there is a significant and thoroughly noticeable increase in overall performance. (Which is why all my gear isn't the latest/best stuff. Oh, and the tight budget. :))

I'm not even sure the MSI Gaming at $630 is the 1080 to get as far as price/performance for real-world gameplay experience, I've just heard a lot of positive info about it. Now this thread has me down on the whole idea of a 1080 after TWO YEARS... jeez

I just swapped my 970 for a 1080 @ 1440p just like your scenario... it has been ~double performance for the most part. I don't think it's worth $600 though myself, because that's near double what I paid for the 970 to begin with, so yeah! You get double because you paid double!

I got the 1080 used for $475 so not too bad, but still overpriced given where we are at in the cycle.

One of our vendors who has a history of knowing things told me the next Nvidia GPU is going to be released around the same time as Shadow of the Tomb Raider to show off some new Nvidia exclusive technology.

I told him he was full of shit. If He's right and I have to wait that long, I'm going to be (more) pissed.

One of our vendors who has a history of knowing things told me the next Nvidia GPU is going to be released around the same time as Shadow of the Tomb Raider to show off some new Nvidia exclusive technology.

I told him he was full of shit. If He's right and I have to wait that long, I'm going to be (more) pissed.
when does that game release? im just hoping we get new cards in 2-3 months... anything more then that i guess there isnt anything i can do but continue using my trusty watercooled 980Ti

when does that game release? im just hoping we get new cards in 2-3 months... anything more then that i guess there isnt anything i can do but continue using my trusty watercooled 980Ti

Sept 14 th 2018

Back