2 Xbox Ones in 1 house. Do we need to buy 2 of each game to play co-op/multiplayer?

zamardii12

2[H]4U
Basically the title. Fiance and I are looking forward to The Division 2, and since we recently just moved in together I was wondering how this works. Do we both have to buy a copy of co-op games we want to play? I remember seeing way back when that there was a "game sharing" feature but idk how that works.

I am guessing at this point that we need to buy 2 copies of every game we want to play together but I was just curious.

Yes, you'll need to buy two copies. If you're buying physical discs, even though the game is completely installed to the hard drive, you need to have the disc in the system to play it. With digital downloads the game is tied to your system and gamertag. You're going to be playing under two separate gamertags, so each of you will have to have your own copy.

In regards to game sharing, I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the same thing, but back when the Xbox One was first announced, Microsoft talked about a game sharing feature, where you could digitally share your games with friends, but in that scenario once you loaned it out you were unable to play it, until you "took it back." So even in that instance you couldn't do co-op.

Did this just the other day. Digital copy of Minecraft. On the living room Xbox I set it as my home Xbox for the gamer tag with Gold Live. I then created a new gamer tag for my wife and signed in with it. Since it is my Home Xbox for my Gold account, her account has access to all of the games including using Gold features. I then logged in as me on the other Xbox. I had 2 grandsons playing split screen Minecraft on the Home Xbox and I was playing in the same game with them on the other one. https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/xbox-live/xbox-live-gold-sharing-features

Did this just the other day. Digital copy of Minecraft. On the living room Xbox I set it as my home Xbox for the gamer tag with Gold Live. I then created a new gamer tag for my wife and signed in with it. Since it is my Home Xbox for my Gold account, her account has access to all of the games including using Gold features. I then logged in as me on the other Xbox. I had 2 grandsons playing split screen Minecraft on the Home Xbox and I was playing in the same game with them on the other one. https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/xbox-live/xbox-live-gold-sharing-features
Forgot about this. If you buy a game with one account on its home Xbox, then sign in with the same account to download the game on another, everyone can play any game that account purchased on the home Xbox while you can play the same game at the same time signed in on another.

Forgot about this. If you buy a game with one account on its home Xbox, then sign in with the same account to download the game on another, everyone can play any game that account purchased on the home Xbox while you can play the same game at the same time signed in on another.

But would this work the same while playing multiplayer? So like my wife and I want to play The Division 2 when it comes out, but if we both wanted to play under our respective gamertags and play co-op like we have been then we would still have to have two copies of the game right?

But would this work the same while playing multiplayer? So like my wife and I want to play The Division 2 when it comes out, but if we both wanted to play under our respective gamertags and play co-op like we have been then we would still have to have two copies of the game right?
If you buy a physical copy, you do.

If you buy it digitally then make sure you do so on the console designated as your home Xbox (because of DRM shenanigans), then sign in and download it to your wife's Xbox. You will then be able to play the game signed into your wife's Xbox and your wife will be able to play on your Xbox at the same time.

If you buy a physical copy, you do.

If you buy it digitally then make sure you do so on the console designated as your home Xbox (because of DRM shenanigans), then sign in and download it to your wife's Xbox. You will then be able to play the game signed into your wife's Xbox and your wife will be able to play on your Xbox at the same time.

What I am asking is that I have to sign in on her Xbox as myself, but then if we wanted to play together could she sign out of my profile, log in as herself, and play the game along with me? Or does she have to be logged in as me to play it once it's downloaded on her Xbox?

What I am asking is that I have to sign in on her Xbox as myself, but then if we wanted to play together could she sign out of my profile, log in as herself, and play the game along with me? Or does she have to be logged in as me to play it once it's downloaded on her Xbox?
That is the idea of the home Xbox. As long as it is your home Xbox then anyone who signs in can play any of your content without you needing to be signed in at the same time.

No because to play multiplayer you would need another account. So you need two copies.

Buy the digital copy on your Home Xbox account with your own profile. Download it to that console. Log in as your wife's profile on that Home console and the game will play just fine on her profile with all the Xbox Live Gold features, even if she doesnt have a Gold account. Go to a different console and login as yourself, the download the game to that console as well. You can BOTH play the same game, at the same time with ONE copy of the game and ONE Xbox Live Gold account. Its pretty awesome for that feature alone!

Buy the digital copy on your Home Xbox account with your own profile. Download it to that console. Log in as your wife's profile on that Home console and the game will play just fine on her profile with all the Xbox Live Gold features, even if she doesnt have a Gold account. Go to a different console and login as yourself, the download the game to that console as well. You can BOTH play the same game, at the same time with ONE copy of the game and ONE Xbox Live Gold account. Its pretty awesome for that feature alone!

I didn't know that. Can you play multiplayer in whatever game you try this with though?

I didn't know that. Can you play multiplayer in whatever game you try this with though?

Yes; just set the second XBOX as "My Home XBOX" for the account that purchases the games, and the XBOX designated "My Home XBOX" for that account gains access to that profiles titles. There are a handful of titles this will not work on; Overwatch is the one I know of. All other titles I own have no problems whatsoever letting both people play the title at the same time, including online.

Me and my friends totally do not abuse this feature in any way. *whistles*

Yes; just set the second XBOX as "My Home XBOX" for the account that purchases the games, and the XBOX designated "My Home XBOX" for that account gains access to that profiles titles. There are a handful of titles this will not work on; Overwatch is the one I know of. All other titles I own have no problems whatsoever letting both people play the title at the same time, including online.

Me and my friends totally do not abuse this feature in any way. *whistles*
I didn't know that developers could circumvent this feature. You'd think that Microsoft wouldn't allow it, but I guess Blizzard gets a pass because Blizzard.

I do this on my PS4 all the time, same works for the Xbox. Set your family members console as primary for your gamertag, log in, buy game, download game, log out, log in under family members tag, play game. Then login to your normal console, download game, play game. As long as the person is using your "designated primary" console you can both play the same game off 1 purchase. You can even share XBL/PSN subscription this way. I was even able to do this with Destiny Collectors edition, both me and my brother received all the collector edition items even though we just bought 1 copy.

Back