2 x 7990's quad fire for a gaming/mining rig, or better 2 x R9 290X's crossfire ?!

i was wondering which route should i go ?

i will be coming from 2 x 7970's crossfire ...

and i have an 1250w seasonic x-series gold psu ...

Wait on 290X crossfire results first? We still don't have hard numbers on single card configurations let alone crossfire ones. If I had to bet however it would be 290X crossfire.

pretty sure the bitcoin market fell off today

regardless, amd has already said the 7990 is fastest card on earth, and will continue to be, so that should indicate that it should outperform the 290.

That said, with the way BTC has/is progressing and with the asics arguably not going to pay off, it's pretty hard for me to imagine a scenario where 2 7990s will make up for the initial cost.

i mine LTC not BTC, also crypto prices almost recovered on the btc side of things and if it fell down again it will then later on recover it's just how it is ....

so aside from that this is a gaming rig that does mining on the side ...

7790's in crossfire (2x7990) have heat issues. Quadfire notoriously scales terribly. R9 290X*2 should have more upside. I'd recommend at least waiting for the R9 290X before deciding.

I've run 7990s and 7970s in a couple of GPU rigs... the 7990s are not the way to go. They get very hot, and in some of the older versions (read: the ones that are reasonably priced around $600), the voltage is locked on the 2nd GPU. All my 7970s overclock better than my 7990s.

So I wouldn't recommend dual 7990 for any reason - go quad 7970 if you're mining or doing other computationally crazy stuff (yes, this may require a custom case or something). The only way you might come out ahead with the 7990s is the savings in watercooling by only buying 2x waterblocks rather than four...

Otherwise, wait for R9.

Back