2 wired networks on one computer?

scoobert

Limp Gawd
Long story short we have a out building that we have several wifi camera's in along with an wifi router that they all talk to and one cat5e cable running to our building with a win7 computer where we control camera's and store their files should they see movement. We have treated this as its own sealed network and it has no internet.
Is it possible to put a second network card in my (win7) computer to talk to this router and still keep access to my workgroup/internet as well?

Sure. I did similar thing to pc that connects to industrial machine and local LAN with 2 NICs. You only need 2 different networks to work

Be sure not to bridge the networks, that could be disastrous.

Routes, As in both set to a different IP groups.

ei : 192.168.0.1 and the other to 192.168.1.1
Routes are the settings that tell it where to send the packets.

Windows sometimes gets the routes wrong with 2 connections.
You need 3 routes for ip4 and 3 for ip6 if you want ip6 on both networks.
default gateway - this where all traffic is sent if it does not otherwise match.
route all traffic to network 192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0 to the port that is on that network by ip address
route all traffic to network 192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0 to the port that is on that network by ip address

There are a bunch of other routes that windows sets up but those 3 are needed for 2 cards/networks ip4 to work.

If you only need to talk to hosts on one of the two networks and not reach across to anything else, just use a static IP on that network and don't put a gateway IP on that NIC.

No manual messing with routing tables required.

Multiple NICs that all have gateways, the easy way to handle it is with differing metric values on the gateways.

Back