2 WD Black 1TB drives in Raid 0 any Issues?

prasvt

Gawd
I ordered two Western Digital Black 1 TB drives yesterday as a bit of an upgrade for my sig machine. Right now I've got two Seagate 250GB 7.2k drives in RAID 0 (using the Asus Maximus II's built in raid). I've got that array split 250/250 for WinXP x64 and Win 7x64 beta. I'll have my official Win 7 Pro x64 tomorrow'ish so I thought I'd upgrade the drives while doing the OS installs. Also have 2 500GB 7.2k drives for storage (1 WD, 1 Seagate).

I read somewhere that there may be problems running RAID with these Black drives now that WD has 1TB RE3 drives. Any truth to this? I saw the 1TB WD RE3 drives on newegg - $174 per drive seems a bit excessive for my purposes (now days, mostly blu-ray -> 720p/1080p encoding.

I'll be getting the drives tomorrow, but figured I should find out before I open 'em up and discover I can't run RAID 0 reliably.

Thanks!

I am running 2 WD 1 TB Blacks in Raid 0 and have no issues. I did enable WDTLER before setting up the array. Doing so ensures one disk won't drop out of the array. There's a thread in this sub-forum on it.

Aside from the risk of losing 2TB of data, no, I don't see any issues.

Do check your TLER like lodingi said.

I wouldn't run 2 x 1TB in a RAID 0. I suppose you can do a mix, like a 320GB partition out of the 1TB in a RAID 0 stripe, and put the rest into a RAID 1 mirror so you can have some semblance of data redundancy with the RAID 1 partition, but I wouldn't do 2 x 1TB RAID 0.

Wait, you can partition the drives and do a mix of RAID 0 and RAID 1? interesting.

What if I added a 3rd 1TB drive - RAID 5 would give me speed + redundancy right?

Wait, you can partition the drives and do a mix of RAID 0 and RAID 1? interesting.

What if I added a 3rd 1TB drive - RAID 5 would give me speed + redundancy right?

To answer your first question, yes you can on an Intel RAID, so if your motherboard has ICH9R or ICH10R, you would be able to specify a RAID 0 array of x size and use the remaining portion, y, for RAID 1 redundancy.

As for your second question, RAID 5 would be pretty slow for you without a good hardware controller, which is even more additional expense.

In my opinion, you're overcomplicating things. If you want sheer speed, get an SSD like the Intel X25-M. If you want storage space, just get a bunch of 1-1.5TB drives. If you want a lot of storage space, then you build a home server. Doing it the "poor man's" way isn't likely to work out well for you in the future, especially on onboard RAID controllers.

Yes & yes. I've done Raid 0 & Raid 1 on the same 2 drives.

Alright, well for now I'll try the RAID 0 and Raid 1 on the same 2 drives deal. Actually I do have a 3rd 1TB drive (seagate barracuda 32mb cache), so i was pondering whether that would be useful. But I suppose I should just let that be separate huh? My board does have a 2nd RAID controller (SiliconImage) that does array calcs in hardware, but only 2 ports for that.

An SSD would be ideal - but a bit expensive right now. Definitely in the next 6 months though.

Okay well thanks for the input guys - always a learning experience :)

Last edited:
Back