2 WD 10 TB Easystore drives at BestBuy - why the price difference

x509

2[H]4U
I just read some threads about the great pricing on these drives, and how you can "shuck" the drive out of the external case. Sounds like a winner to me.

But why the big price difference on the BB site?

I have been using HGST drives up to now, but they seem to be disappearing off the market, and WD seems like the logical next choice.

upload_2019-2-24_12-25-1.png

Last edited:
One is the standard listing. The other is a special listing. Both listings are the same product though (aside from the flash drive).

WD bought up HGST several years ago. They're just now finally alligning the branding. These drives are the HGST drives you're looking for.

Last edited:
The initial release of this 10TB external included the flash drive as a promo to increase sales and is being discontinued.
They now have a sku for just the drive that will be the standard going forward per Ryan's notation.

One is the standard listing. The other is a special listing. Both listings are the same product though (aside from the flash drive).

WD bought up HGST several years ago. They're just now finally alligning the branding. These drives are the HGST drives you're looking for.
Is WD continuing the manufacture of the HGST drives that they got with the acquisition? Is WD designing the next generation of these drives, for higher capacities of course, using the same "bones" as the older drives? (Did WD get the HGST engineers and manufacturing managers as part of the acquisition?)

Back