2 TB Samsung 980 Pro or 2TB WD Black S850 Drive?

kamikazi

[H]ard|Gawd
I've pretty much decided I'm going to take the leap on a Gen 4 drive now as I can see supply chain issues boosting prices and lowering availability sooner than later. I keep coming back to a decision between these two drives. Price is pretty much identical. The newer crop of Gen 4 drives seem to have faster sequential read/write speeds in benchmarks, but these two seem tops for actual performance. It looks like the WD has the edge, but doesn't have 256 bit encryption like the Samsung does (probably not really a factor for me). It also seems that the WD runs a little hotter. I'll use this drive until 4TB drives are affordable and throw this one into the PS5, so heat may be a consideration at that time, but you know how plans for stuff like that in the future go. One other drive that intrigued me in my research is the ADATA XPX Gammix S70 Blade. It launched to little fanfare, then a a firmware update opened it up. It still seems to be a little behind the WD drive, but I wonder if another firmware update will bring it up to par. It's about $30-$40 cheaper than the Samsung and WD drives.

Thoughts?

I decided to go with the WD Black S850 2TB. Wouldn't you know it, it went out of stock today at Amazon while I was still considering everything. Oh well, I can wait a week or so.

Both drives are top end of PCIe 4.0, i bought 980Pro because it was cheaper, but i also own a 850 and been fine.

went with the Sabrent Rocket Plus 2TB(boot) 4TB (Storage) insanely fast and where i live warrenty seems solid and not as complicated as samsungs.

went with the Sabrent Rocket Plus 2TB(boot) 4TB (Storage) insanely fast and where i live warrenty seems solid and not as complicated as samsungs.
The wierd thing for me with sabrent was that i lost 1% of their endurace each week (the drives were never stressed aside from a new install, programs and games install), very wierd but still today the drives display that endurance on any other motherboard that i have placed them, weather its a bug or not, there is no firmware to fix it, so i remove all sabrent drives from my builds.

odd its been rock solid iv tortured them with testing and installs if Samsung had proper rma support in canada id be using them more.

I have a question about the Heatsink models of these two drives. Can they(Heatsinks) interfere with the motherboards as far as clearance is concerned? I am looking at Mounting these on the Asus Z690 Maximus Hero boards

I have a question about the Heatsink models of these two drives. Can they(Heatsinks) interfere with the motherboards as far as clearance is concerned? I am looking at Mounting these on the Asus Z690 Maximus Hero boards
I really think that you would have to measure to see. It depends on where the slots are. My x570 board has built in heatsinks. I'm think most heatinks would be fine if the slot is above the top pcie x16 slot.

Back