(2) Scythe SY1225SL12SH 120mm Slipstream Case Fans for $9.96 FS

Good deal. I absolutely love my four S-Flex's and wish they still made those as I need at least two if not three more :(

For this price, I might have to pick up a few of these instead though.

Good deal. I absolutely love my four S-Flex's and wish they still made those as I need at least two if not three more :(

For this price, I might have to pick up a few of these instead though.

The Kama flow 2 fans are the same thing. I really can't tell the difference between them and the S-flex.

These slipstreams are decent enough fans but I would rather pick up some yate loons. The yates seem a bit quieter and from what I've seen are more reliable.

I saw this over at SD and grabbed a couple. My case is in serious need of some more airflow. Anyone used these before, I read they were kinda loud, but that can be pretty subjective.

I've had horrible luck with Scythe fans, like this one, that use sleeve bearings. I bought ~10 or so a few years back, and I think every one I put into service was frozen and unable to spin, within 3-18 months. And they were mounted vertically(on the sides of cases), not horizontally(on the top). Horizontal mounting supposedly kills sleeve bearing fans even quicker.

About a year ago I bought a few Scythes that use FDB bearings, and so far, they've been trouble free.

Decent deal, however, I'm thinking of the yate loons as they seem to perform well, and quietly, too!

C

Sold out now. Grabbed 2 myself last night. At that price point couldnt resist.

I thought these fans were notorious for having their bearings wear out pretty quickly?

I know that three of the four I bought a couple years back have either failed on me, become too noisy, and/or slowed down drastically. I even took the time (when I first purchased the fans) to crack open the bearing housing and add a couple drops of 3 in 1 lubricant as had been suggested in other forums as well as the Newegg comments.

I'm sure the fact that I only dust out my computer about once every 6 months contributed to that degradation but I've purchased cheaper fans that lasted longer while requiring less maintenance. I would also suggest running these fans at < 100% fan speed to extend their life.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

If you hear your fans making noise it's time to oil them.

I don't oil any of my other fans, and they usually last 5-10 years. Also most of my fans are not within earshot, or at least not in a state where it can be monitored in isolation from dozens of other fans, on a day to day basis. In short, a computer fan that needs monitoring and oiling is a bad computer fan.

This deal is still going. Just bought 5 for $22.45. I was trying to decide whether to replace an older case or change out the fans. This tipped the scales toward reusing it, thanks OP. :p (I will have to find a new excuse to buy a new Lian Li now).

just installed 4 of these into my Spedo Advanced case, the cooling is insane, but so is the sound, when I bought them I thought "how bad could it be" well its loud! think of your gpu fan at 60-70% and thats the sound these make, but its constant unless you have a controller.

I also now have 10 fans in my case (not including gpu and cpu fans, that would make 12). 3 on the front of the case, one on the bottom, 1 on the side - intake - then I have 2 rear exhaust, 1 top exhaust and 1 cpu exhaust behind the mobo, plus I have 1 internal that I can move around and either point at the cpu or gpu. I orginally had about 7-8 but used this upgrade as an excuse to see how many I could jam in there, the front is only designed for 1 but I installed support for 2 more and still had room for a DVD drive.

real question will be how long do these last, especially since I mounted one on the bottom, blowing up, I heard these die pretty quick when used like that, but I want max movement from that fan, so we will see, only $4.50 if it breaks :D

These are great with a fan controller or with a good temp controlled motherboard header. They scale well, and even though they are noisy at full, they push a ridiculous amount of air. Run them at 50-60% and they will be quiet, but you will still be pleased with the air they push. I have used quite a few of these in several builds, and they have done well for me over the years.

Thanks, OP or the posting! I saw it here and thanks to you I see they're now back in stock. I missed out the first time.

Code no longer works, they have the multi item discount, but I just tried entering the code (was going to order 2 more) and it said it did not meet the criteria! strange

Although you've entered a valid promo code EMCJHKD58, your order does not currently meet the code's usage criteria.

hell i need to jump on this sale fast! i have the 130 cfm ones but one broke my fault and can use some backup ones when my others fail.

nevermind, it didn't work for me because I already bought 4 with that account (they set a limit), worked with my wife's account...

what the Hell, I went and got 5 also, I might need them soon enough for a new case i have my eyes on.

~$25 would get you 5 Yate Loons plus shipping almost any day of the year. And Yate Loons don't die anywhere near as fast, in my experience.

Yate Loon models:
D12-SL12 quiet
D12-SH12 moves a lot of air
D12-SM12 somewhere in the middle

~$25 would get you 5 Yate Loons plus shipping almost any day of the year. And Yate Loons don't die anywhere near as fast, in my experience.

Yate Loon models:
D12-SL12 quiet
D12-SH12 moves a lot of air
D12-SM12 somewhere in the middle

I have had a Scythe or two die, but usually it's after at least a few years of very heavy use. I haven't yet had any Yate Loons for that long. In fact, I think I've only ever used one or two yate loons period...

To be clear some Scythes, the ones with FDB bearings are quite nice. But the ones with sleeve bearings(which includes the one this thread is about) have a nearly 100% mortality rate within say 18 months. Again, in my experience.

As I mentioned earlier, I had around 10 Scythe sleeve bearing fans, all 120mm, various speeds, so I doubt it was a bad batch. They're almost all dead, some died in as little as 3 months. These fans were all $8-$12 or so each, pretty expensive for a fan, though at least the slower ones were pretty quiet. But the failure rate was not what I expected from a supposedly premium fan.

I have 20+ Yate Loons a mix of 120s and 140s, 1-2 have died over 2-3 years. They were cheap, but quiet(in the SL case), about $4 each, and that's about the mortality rate I expect out of cheap fans.

I also have around 10 Scythe FDB bearing fans 80s and 120s, the newest group, almost a year old, they're all still running. These were also more expensive, $8-$10 each, I mainly bought them because jab-tech was out of stock on Yate Loons. But from reports, these do last a while, while remaining pretty quiet.

In most cases these fans have been run 24/7/365. I could see Scythe sleeve bearing fans lasting longer, possibly significantly so, if only run occasionally. So that could help explain why everyone doesn't experience what I and some others have experienced.

meh i bought the limit of 5 came out to 22$ instead of that i could have bought the yates but it would have cost more been shipped slower and i wouldnt of been able to get the 3$ artic silver 5 which i need!

Back