2 Quick Vista Questions

djnes

Fully [H]
I'm running Vista Ultimate x64, if that matters. Here are my two questions. I've searched for some answers, and either came up with no solutions, or non-working ones.

1) How do I change the "Selected Items" color for Appearances? It's at the default "baby blue" like color, and it's tough to see in an Explorer window, when selecting files. Under the display options, I can change the color, but it doesn't actually make the change. Aero Glass is enabled and running.

2) How do I remove the shortcut arrows on shortcut files? I haven't found a TweakUI equivalent for Vista that has this option.

I'm just on my way out the door, so I'm limited for time here, sorry.

On the first, I don't know, and will be interested to hear what suggestions other people come up with.

On the 'Shortcut arrow' issue, though, do a quick Google search for the method of making the change manually in XP, using registry edits. The solution for Vista will almost certainly be identical ;)

On #1:

- Right-click on desktop, click on Personalize.
- Click on Window Color and Appearance.
- Click on Open classic appearance properties for color options.
- Click on Advanced.

Pick and choose from there.

On #1:

- Right-click on desktop, click on Personalize.
- Click on Window Color and Appearance.
- Click on Open classic appearance properties for color options.
- Click on Advanced.

Pick and choose from there.

That changes the color of highlighted text, but not icons. (as far as I can tell)

edit: on second glance, that might be exactly what djnes is asking :)

Actually, I might be wrong. Tried to change "selected item" and it changes menu selected items, not explorer selected files.

We'll have to wait for djnes to tell us whether or not this is what he wanted...

Just had a few minutes to check for the registry procedure to remove the shortcut arrows. This should work for ALL Windows versions:

To Remove the Icon:
Open your registry and delete the value named 'IsShortCut' from the keys [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile], [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\piffile] and [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut].

That's basically what the TweakUI option does (or any other such tool, for that matter.)

for #1 you're gonna need to change the visual style to fix that. all options are tied to the visual styles and can't really be changed thru that Advanced menu. if you go back to the old style windows theme you can change things just fine. otherwise, its time to start customizing lol

for #1 you're gonna need to change the visual style to fix that. all options are tied to the visual styles and can't really be changed thru that Advanced menu. if you go back to the old style windows theme you can change things just fine. otherwise, its time to start customizing lol

This is correct.

To get you on the right track for this, you can get the UxTheme Patcher here (be sure to read the instructions):
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/UxTheme-Patcher-for-Windows-Vista.shtml

There are multiple places to get Vista themes, but here are some to get you started:
http://browse.deviantart.com/custom...dows/visualstyle/&order=9&alltime=yes&q=vista

http://vistastyles.org/

Thanks for the links on the styles....I was afraid that would be the only option. When I tried the above suggestions, I wasn't seeing the blue-ish color change at all. I'm definitely going to check out the links though, and see what kind of themes are available. I know bbz_Ghost has always put in a recommendation for HilledSE. I'll also try out that registry key, and report back.

Thanks!

I'll be interested in hearing whether or not the registry edit works, as it has for all previous Windows versions.

It'd be good to see more people in general posting registry solutions to problems, actually. Far too many times you see the 'secpol' tweaks, which were first mentioned when Ultimate RC1 was the only installation in general circulation, parrotted off. Those aren't helpful at all for the many, many people who'll be using Home Premium this time out! secpol isn't in that version, so the registry tweaks would be better solutions which benefit more people :)

I had already run and used the FxVisor program, which seemed to do the trick, after logging out and then back in. As for the registry keys, I don't have those present in the system. I have the lnk and pif sections, with the word file in them, and I don't have an Internet Shortcut section.

On an unrelated note, that Vistastyles.org site seems to have a lot of good stuff, but I'm having trouble with the site. When I click on Vista Styles, it tells me there are 151 of them, but only shows me about 5, with no links to click to another page of styles.

I had already run and used the FxVisor program, which seemed to do the trick, after logging out and then back in. As for the registry keys, I don't have those present in the system. I have the lnk and pif sections, with the word file in them, and I don't have an Internet Shortcut section.

On an unrelated note, that Vistastyles.org site seems to have a lot of good stuff, but I'm having trouble with the site. When I click on Vista Styles, it tells me there are 151 of them, but only shows me about 5, with no links to click to another page of styles.

its at the bottom left labeled Previous Entries kinda like a blog

Back