2 Questions: IPcop / Cisco Pix

cybertron

[H]ard|Gawd
Being that we are on such a super powered most awesome forum with a search feature, I found no one had asked this question.....oh wait.... we dont have a search feature. hmm. lol sorry guys, its just frustrating as hell not to be able to search for anything. anyways....

IPcop ...anyone use it? anyone like it? anyone dislike it?

------------------

Cisco PIX, i was told someone figured out how to make a home brew version of this? anyone know about this?

I can't find the link at the moment, but yes it's possible to make a homemade Cisco PIX firewall. However not cheap. You need a PIX ISA flash card which are regularly on eBay but expensive ($700-900). For example.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3076450838&category=11185

Then you need a older intel mobo with ISA slots. Like a PII 350 or something. A case, some ram, and some Intel PRO/100 NICs.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Originally posted by Anthony.L
I can't find the link at the moment, but yes it's possible to make a homemade Cisco PIX firewall. However not cheap. You need a PIX ISA flash card which are regularly on eBay but expensive ($700-900). For example.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3076450838&category=11185

Then you need a older intel mobo with ISA slots. Like a PII 350 or something. A case, some ram, and some Intel PRO/100 NICs.

hmm, yea, still out of my range, and plus i dont know cisco so that should come first. thanks alot for the info though.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Originally posted by cybertron
hmm, yea, still out of my range, and plus i dont know cisco so that should come first. thanks alot for the info though.

Yeah you are better off setting up a cheap Linux router/firewall on a old PC laying around. Can be done for under $200. The homemade PIX makes sense for me since I work on PIXs all day long. ;)

Yeah you are better off setting up a cheap Linux router/firewall on a old PC laying around. Can be done for under $200. The homemade PIX makes sense for me since I work on PIXs all day long. ;)

any recommondations for someone wanting to get into cisco stuff? I really enjoy setting up networks and what not. i just got ipcop up and i know anyone could do it, but i enjoy setting up rule sets and all that stuff. i dont have a huge understanding for tcp/udp and what not but i'd love to start somewhere. i'm going to college and i'm sure they dont have any cisco classes, but maybe when i transfer. any other idea's/places to read up on stuff?

You might be able to find a PIX 501 on ebay for around 300 dollars. Thats probably one of the cheapest Cisco devices that you'll find.

Originally posted by Boscoh
You might be able to find a PIX 501 on ebay for around 300 dollars. Thats probably one of the cheapest Cisco devices that you'll find.

Yup and they are good little boxes. Just make sure you understand it only supports up to 10 users and 10 VPN tunnels. For most people's home that will be more then fine.

Yup and they are good little boxes. Just make sure you understand it only supports up to 10 users and 10 VPN tunnels. For most people's home that will be more then fine.

10 users meaning 10 computers?

Ten MAC addresses, I believe. If i'm off base, please, someone correct me.

Adam

IPcop ...anyone use it? anyone like it? anyone dislike it?

Been using it about a month, it was easy to set up and I really haven't had to touch it since then.

Ditto with IP Cop. Also running Smoothwall for multiple years. Easy to config and as bulletproof as the hardware :D

Originally posted by mjones73
Been using it about a month, it was easy to set up and I really haven't had to touch it since then.
Originally posted by Nate7311
Ditto with IP Cop. Also running Smoothwall for multiple years. Easy to config and as bulletproof as the hardware :D

Do you guys have this same problem?

http://www.goatinatree.com/tmp/firewall.jpg

Seems like my memory usage just goes up and up and up and doesnt go down til i reboot. I have this loaded on an HP Vectra 200mhz with 128ram, 10gb HDD and 3 Nic's Red, Orange, Green networks setup. nothing on the orange side yet just wanted to set that up because i was helping someone with the same setup and wanted to know exactly what they were looking at. Also i'm running 1.4.0a10 maybe thats the problem?

What version do you run?

At work I run 3 different Smoothwall 2.0 final boxen and home is an IPCop v1.3.0 box.

Outside of glances here and there, I've never noticed anything odd with the memory. And they've never crashed hard suggesting any problems; memory or otherwise...

Can you give us more info on the problem you're trying to combat?

Originally posted by Nate7311
At work I run 3 different Smoothwall 2.0 final boxen and home is an IPCop v1.3.0 box.

Outside of glances here and there, I've never noticed anything odd with the memory. And they've never crashed hard suggesting any problems; memory or otherwise...

Can you give us more info on the problem you're trying to combat?

Well my internet was basically running fine and over a short period of time say a few hours it would degrade, and degrade and degade. Well i had a crappy splitter come to fine out, cable guy just fixed that, along with some other stuff, so i will just wait and see what happends now. Also, this smoothwall 2.0 final? is that express? I would like to give that a shot.

Do you guys have this same problem?

I noticed when I hit the final version of Smoothwall it started eating up the swap file more then normal. My IPCop set up is using all the memorry and a small amount of the swap file. Apparently Linux will suck up all the available memory and take advantage of it, it's not a bad thing to see usage up in the 90% range.

I noticed when I hit the final version of Smoothwall it started eating up the swap file more then normal. My IPCop set up is using all the memorry and a small amount of the swap file. Apparently Linux will suck up all the available memory and take advantage of it, it's not a bad thing to see usage up in the 90% range.

oh well thats good to know then, thanks.

Ditto :D

Back